Do Not Sell My Personal Information

noise from suspension

handymr

Hi all I have a mk1 04 42000 miles focus, since the cold weather over xmas time I've noticed

a creaking noise from the suspension, seems worse when driving slow and turning right but you

can still hear it whilst driving in a straight line.it seems to come from the drivers side. I had no

problems upto the very cold weather kicking in which included driving in the snow and ice .

The car does not pull either way and the brakes work fine.

Can road salt causes the bushes to dry out and if so is there anything that can be applied to

stop the noise. any help or suggestions would be appreceiated.

cheers andy ......

yeah probably the inner antiroll bar bushes....cheap and easy to replace, but try some spray lube in there...they do dry out easy and perish :)

yeah probably the inner antiroll bar bushes....cheap and easy to replace, but try some spray lube in there...they do dry out easy and perish :)

I had a look today , took the drivers wheel off and I think the problem is the drop link

between the strut and anti roll bar , every time I raised the the strut with a trolly jack

the drop link moved and made the clanging noise. do these need replacing in pairs

because the other side is okay .... many thanks for ur reply ...... andy ....... <_<

I had a look today , took the drivers wheel off and I think the problem is the drop link

between the strut and anti roll bar , every time I raised the the strut with a trolly jack

the drop link moved and made the clanging noise. do these need replacing in pairs

because the other side is okay .... many thanks for ur reply ...... andy ....... <_<

i would say yes replace in pairs, if one side is away then the other side probably wont be too far behind. i think they come in pairs to buy anyway.

no, they come in singles.

Often the N/S goes more often because it gets more abuse (holes tend to be on left of road etc)

I didnt realise it was a clang/bang....thought you said creak! :lol:

defo change it, just the one side be fine...easy enough :)

mine look to have a bolt on each end , is it just a matter of loosening them off

and they will pop out (that sounds too easy) any instructions or pics would be

appreceiated ..... andy .......

mine look to have a bolt on each end , is it just a matter of loosening them off

and they will pop out (that sounds too easy) any instructions or pics would be

appreceiated ..... andy .......

yep :)

they have a nut on the end of a bolt...but sometimes in turning the nut you turn the bolt.

SO first clean off the threads and getting some freeing oil in there.

Then look at the end of the bolt, sometimes there is a place to put an allen key.

SO you can use a spanner to loosen the nut whilst holding the bolt with the allen key.

If not...on the link is a rubber bush, you need to get some vicegrips on that bush as inside is the other end of the bolt, so you then can hold the bolt tight whilst removing the nut :)

20minutes, job done :)

Piggy :)

ahwell, learn something new every day. never done them on a ford but on my last car they came as a pair.

nice one piggy.

Thanks for that info, I'll see if i can pick one up from the local motor factors

tomorrow and get it replaced , I'm glad it only takes 20 mins its started snowing

again here in yorkshire so don't want to freeze my nuts off !!!

once again many thanks andy ....... :P

got the part today cost me £10.60p for drivers side FAI product,

Just one final question does it matter which nut to undo 1st top or bottom?

Hoping to get it done tomorrow (weather permitting) so i'll report back

tomorrow guys .....

:rolleyes: FIXED see new post took 1 hour including a cuppa to warm me up.

anybody with knocking noise look at these 1st they are the weakest link in the

suspension setup, also cheap and easy to replace. I sust these were the problem

by putting the car on axle stands and then removing the wheel and putting a

trolly jack under hub/brake disc and raising it and lowered it. it knocked and you

could feel the vibration on it as you raised it up and down. All help and

suggestions appreceiated many thanks andy ........... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club