Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Steering Malfunction

Tomev

Two weeks ago my Edge gave me an amber warning noting "Adaptive Steering Malfunction" and encouraging a service. The steering was then a lot lighter and the steering wheel was at a strange angle when wheels were pointed forward but the car drove fine and a search online said that this shouldn't stop me driving the car but to seek a service as soon as I could (Ford website). Thankfully the warning seemed a one-off and the steering went back to normal.

Over the last weekend however this warning has been on all the time and the steering is light. Further searches have found in US this malfunction is common and sometimes requires a new steering wheel. My local service said they'd need the car in for a couple of days at least which leads to two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can sure their experience of ti being resolved?

2. The service dept said they could not supply me with a courtesy car - is this right? He advised to get AA to do a recovery and they would give me a courtesy car

Many thanks

There was cryptic mention of steering malfunction on here a while back but no further details. Looks like this is what they meant. 

They should give you a courtesy car. 

As the car hasn't actually broken down and needing recovery, I wouldn't expect the AA need to be involved. The dealer should provide you with a courtesy car

How do they even know you're in the AA? Brand new car-they deffo should give you a courtesy car. 

• Like 1

There was cryptic mention of steering malfunction on here a while back but no further details. Looks like this is what they meant. 
They should give you a courtesy car. 

Yep!

Same story here on my Edge Sport...the first fix firmware updated lasted maybe two weeks.  The sensor is in the steering well.  My dealer had to get one from Canada...replaced under warranty six weeks ago, so far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the same fault on my edge now, went to dealer and they also said call the AA.

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem last Friday on the way home from work, phoned Ford customer service, and as it was the weekend, I was advised to call the AA.  AA was too busy to come out to me, so I booked car into local garage yesterday (Thursday).  Told today that the part (module) needs to come from Canada and will be about 8 days.  I've got a courtesy car but it is not the same, another 8 days or so without my car.  Seems like its a common problem on the Edge, so why aren't the parts here in the UK?

There is a TSB (Technical Servide Bulletin) that covers the adaptive steering and one specific trouble code. The fix for that is to replace the steering wheel. I hope that if it happens to mine, that the steering wheel they replace it with is a later part and has had the problem engineered out and not just 'throw another one on' until it happens again!

As for a courtesy car goes, if you've spent £35K+ on a car, I'd expect the same a s a loan car or even something else from the top of the range! I certainly wouldnt be fobbed off with "Sorry we havent got anything available".

I've had the complete steering wheel replaced in mine. All fine now. You get a few malfunction warnings at first and they do clear themselves. Try and take a picture of it when it comes up on the screen. I gave that to the dealers and they changed the wheel straight away. Luckly they had one in stock so was done the next day. 

Leave to to long and quite possibly the steering wheel could turn and sit at 90 degrees. That's what happened to my friends Sport version. 

Also strangely enough it happened both on mine and friends sport around 4500 miles