Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear drum brake replacement - whats needed?

ThePowster

Hey guys.

OK so I have this brake issue where its weak at best, so I have bought new discs and pads for the front (and a green cotton filter for good measure:laugh:) and now I want to turn my attention to the rear.

I don't want to have to do this twice so while its all in bits I'd rather just replace with new and have the next 60,000 miles trouble free.

Am I right in thinking I need:

2 x drums

2 x sets of shoes

2 x spring kit things

Is that all I need to replace the brakes at the rear or will I be needing something else?

Obviously I will bleed the brakes once it's all done and fingers crossed I can stop safely again.

I was thinking of getting these items on evilbay, is that my best bet or is there a better place to buy these items.

Thanks again guys for all your help :notworthy:

P.S. unless a disc conversion is just as cheap lol.

Personally I would retrofit the original rear discs brakes instead of installing new drum brakes.

Retrofitting rear disc brakes on a Focus MK2/MK2.5 is relatively easy. It is basically a matter of removing all of the drum brake parts and bolting on the disc brake parts. A lot of parts of the rear axle are the same for both rear disc and rear drum brakes. Even the wheel hubs are the same.

In some European countries (Germany for example) all Focus MK2/MK2.5 are equipped with rear disc brakes as standard. In some other countries the 1.4,1.6 and 1.8 Petrol and 1.6 TDCI hatchback and sedan versions were equipped with drum brakes while all wagon versions have disc brakes. The disc brakes of a hatchback, sedan or wagon are completely identical.

When I retrofitted the rear disc brakes I bought 2 used rear brake calipers from a German scrapyard for €100,- and rebuilded them myself. I bought all others parts (OEM or better quality) from online parts suppliers. All parts costed me less than €300,- and the complete conversion took me about 6 hours. Rear disc brakes are a huge improvement. It makes the car much more stable during heavy braking. Another advantage is that the parking brake is a lot more powerfull with disc brakes.

I made a guide about this subject which can be downloaded from the following link:

Drum brake to Disc brake conversion.pdf

If you still want to install new drum brakes it is recommendeable to also change the brake cilinders. If the brake cilinders start to leak the brake fluid will contaminate the brake shoes and make them useless.

• Like 1

have you had a look inside the existing drums?  I would not replace them unless they have a poor surface on them (inside them where the brakes shoes make contact). Brake drums often last the life of the car without getting too bad (they last much better than discs as discs are more exposed to water / dirt / rust etc).  Also most of the foot brake braking force of a car is on the front so any difference in performance at the back is not as noticeable as on the front. 

• Like 4

Go for the discs! I followed Wilcos guide and bar some nut and bolt size differences it was pretty straight forward. No more binding drums, no more overheating. ice improvement in brake balance.

Never looked back 

• Like 2

Hey guys SO much for the advice.

That PDF Wilko is great!

It's nice to hear of other people doing this with successful results.

I had a quick look on evilbay and there are new calipers for like £45 each, at this point I was so tempted.

I read the PDF again and I am worried to undertake this project as I do not feel I have the mechanical competence to undertake this task :wallbash::unsure:

I only have 2 axel stands and getting under the car and undoing heat shields and maybe needing a couple of more bolts to finish this job when this car is my only transport, so if I start it and need new parts to complete am screwed lol.

It would be great if there was someone on the forum who had a garage, tools and knowledge who could offer the service, they would make a mint.

Knowing my luck I would buy all the parts, find I couldn't complete it and be off the road :whistling1:

I'll read that PDF a few more times, check the Haynes manual, price up individual parts and see if I have the bottle to give it a go lol. If not I'll replace what I can see and take it from there.

Cheers guys, top place this, dunno what I would do without being here.

:thumbsup:

If you are a novice and it's your first attempt things rarely  go as plan so it pays to be organised and have a back up plan.

I myself have got most of the parts for my rear conversion.

2 nearly new callipers off eBay £20 each came with pads that have done almost zero miles.

2 brand new 265mm discs, off eBay £30

2 brand new brake hoses, off eBay £10 each

1 brand new handbrake cable, off eBay £25 I think

4 new calliper mounting bolts, from main dealer, £6 I think

Only thing left is 2 brake disc dust shields, seen them new on eBay for around £20 each. When I've got everything I'm taking it to my local garage with a print out of Wilco's guide for them to do it. Don't have the resources to attempt it myself.

all I would say is watch your insurance, its a fairly substantial mod in their eyes and your current provider might not cover them.  I was with tescos at the time and they refused to insure them so 5 min with Adrian flux on here and I was rolling again but its worth checking before you do them.  Even though it is all ford parts, they class it as uprated brakes.

44 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

all I would say is watch your insurance, its a fairly substantial mod in their eyes and your current provider might not cover them.  I was with tescos at the time and they refused to insure them so 5 min with Adrian flux on here and I was rolling again but its worth checking before you do them.  Even though it is all ford parts, they class it as uprated brakes.

seems daft .uprated brakes beter stoping power

an insurance company's view is that if you feel the need to upgrade the brakes then it must mean you will drive it in a ferocious manner. don't argue with me for saying that, that is just how they think. (and I have worked for a few insurance companies)

yeah, you would think at the very least that the added safety would offset the added risk but nope.

it actually made a fairly substantial difference in that very few companies will touch me for insurance any more, thankfully the AdrianFlux guys were the cheapest anyway

7 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

yeah, you would think at the very least that the added safety would offset the added risk but nope.

it actually made a fairly substantial difference in that very few companies will touch me for insurance any more, thankfully the AdrianFlux guys were the cheapest anyway

but if you bought the same car with rear discs it would be ok ?  it wouldnt be that a lot of idiots dont know how to drive so we whant to make sure we can stop when they cut us up .

what a world we live

its madness, in every way the parts I used were ford parts, every one of them, there is no way they would know it didn't come with it other than Etis.  had I brought the car with them then yeah it would be fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club