Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my starter motor on the way out?

BP2411

Hello everyone, I have a MK7 Fiesta (2009) and now and then when I go to start it, it makes a grinding noise and won't start, after 2-3 attempts it'll start though.  Typically everytime I record when I start my car it starts first time!  The battery is fully charged and it's an intermittent fault.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the delay in replying, it's 11.5v at the moment but it hasn't been used for a week.

That's on the low side, even for a week of disuse. If its the original battery then I think its natures way of telling you its on its deathbed.

• Like 1

does it only make the strange noise when it has been left for a while (and maybe battery voltage drop) or does it sometimes do it when for example it has been driven many miles shortly before it happens ( and hence battery voltage should be higher)

It does it even if it's driven every day, usually starts on the third attempt, I'll put the battery on charge tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks both!

I charged the battery but it still done it, it doesn't make a dead battery clicking noise but more of a grinding noise, I'll try and record it.

It could well be the starter, but your battery voltage isn't right so you need to be considering a new battery any way.  I'd do the battery and see how it goes then.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have an update and thought by posting it, it might help someone who has the same problem in the future, the starter really sounded like it was on it's last legs yesterday so I finally decided to change it and now touch wood it starts first time  every time. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club