Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine temperature gauge goes up to 90 too quickly

Mattdom

Hi guys, just got a focus 1.6 2007, and found out that after I start the engine , the engine temp gauge goes after like 30 second from 0 to 90 really fast, in like 5 seconds, but never goes above 90, is anyone having the same problem or is it just a standard thing? Thanks guys

I've heard that on some cars it just goes straight up because they have no middle ground just set numbers such as 0-45-90-135-180

On my car it takes it's time and smoothly makes its way up as i'm driving usually takes about 3-5 minutes depending on outside temp on hot a day can be up in as little as 1-2 minutes. As long as your car isn't overheating don't worry.

• Like 2

Had my car parked and turned the engine on, after 4 minutes the gauge started raising from 0 to 90, in 6 seconds, I've turned the engine off and went to check the engine, nothing was even warm, apart of the back side of the actual engine which was hot. 

• 2 years later...

Completely normal.

From the Focus MK2 onwards the temperature gauge does not show the actual engine temperature. The temperature shown on the temperature gauge is a calculated value that is calculated by the PCM based on the data of several sensors (engine temperature sensor, outside air temperature sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, etc). The temperature gauge is not accurate at all. Under normal conditions the needle goes to approximately 90 degrees Celsius within a few minutes and stays there. Temperature fluctuations have no effect on what the gauge shows. Only when the engine temperature suddenly increases or decreases drastically the gauge will show a different value

• Like 1

Or when the car detects a faulty sensor in temperature related stuff.

BTW, try telling "normal condition" to a car in Finland in winter with below -20C temperatures. I have a hint ... it does not compute. The temperature gauge stays down till you engine starts to warm up, period.

Mines doesn't do that it stays low then gradually moves up to half way then stays there.

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Completely normal.

From the Focus MK2 onwards the temperature gauge does not show the actual engine temperature. The temperature shown on the temperature gauge is a calculated value that is calculated by the PCM based on the data of several sensors (engine temperature sensor, outside air temperature sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, etc). The temperature gauge is not accurate at all. Under normal conditions the needle goes to approximately 90 degrees Celsius within a few minutes and stays there. Temperature fluctuations have no effect on what the gauge shows. Only when the engine temperature suddenly increases or decreases drastically the gauge will show a different value

I disagree my focus takes ages to get up to temperature and moves up slowly

Also the temperature gauge is fairly accurate as I have a blue tooth ap and tracks with the gauge 

On 6/5/2017 at 9:45 PM, Mattdom said:

Had my car parked and turned the engine on, after 4 minutes the gauge started raising from 0 to 90, in 6 seconds, I've turned the engine off and went to check the engine, nothing was even warm, apart of the back side of the actual engine which was hot. 

You may have a air lock or a problem with your head or pump or gasket or sensor or thermostat ? Definitely not normal 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 6/5/2017 at 6:19 PM, Mattdom said:

Здравейте момчета, току-що взех Focus 1.6 2007 г. и открих, че след като запаля двигателя, датчикът за температурата на двигателя преминава след около 30 секунди от 0 до 90 наистина бързо, за около 5 секунди, но никога не надвишава 90, има ли някой същият проблем или е просто нещо стандартно? Благодаря момчета

i have the same problem does anyone know where the problem is