Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[Guide] Upgrading Sync Module to show Bluetooth track info

lwatson99

Hero thanks for the feedback. Ok going to find one now online. I take it reboot, is literally turn off and on again if doesn't work first time.

Just went to pub at lunch and someone asked me what was playing... Need it sorted once and for all.

Found this listing on eBay2015 FORD ECOSPORT 1.0 Petrol bluetooth Module E1BT-14D212-ED 422

Will that work in my 2014 fiesta? 

• 5 months later...

Hi all, just read through everything, just bought a Fiesta 63 plate a few months back, had no idea the bluetooth would be so bad :( Came across thing forum and ordered a module which should arrive soon! I'm still a little confused about the update, is it automatic when I install it or do I need to manually download any updates when I've installed it?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JackoR8 said:

Hi all, just read through everything, just bought a Fiesta 63 plate a few months back, had no idea the Bluetooth would be so bad 😞 Came across thing forum and ordered a module which should arrive soon! I'm still a little confused about the update, is it automatic when I install it or do I need to manually download any updates when I've installed it?

Thanks!

All manual. There’s a couple of other threads with details of the downloads

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

All manual. There’s a couple of other threads with details of the downloads

Can you link to them? I can only find dead links or links to update by vin; that leads to "you are already up to date" 🤦🏻‍♂️

@M6 44t car park attendant sent you a direct message with a link to the Sync 1.1 v5.11 files.

I couldn't find the forum thread/posts from earlier on last year that had all the info about the update process so have summed it up in the direct message.

• Thanks 1

Hi can anyone confirm that this upgrade was compatible with showing track names via bluetooth from Apple iOS devices not just Android devices?

As I have noticed in Ford's description of the new Applink software it says:

'How does Ford SYNC with AppLink connect with the phones?

It’s easy: AppLink connects with Android via bluetooth®, and with Apple iOS using a wired connection via the USB port.'

appreciate Applink is different to just upgrading the module but wanting to confirm same rules don't apply.

7 hours ago, drward1 said:

Hi can anyone confirm that this upgrade was compatible with showing track names via bluetooth from Apple iOS devices not just Android devices?

As I have noticed in Ford's description of the new Applink software it says:

'How does Ford SYNC with AppLink connect with the phones?

It’s easy: AppLink connects with Android via Bluetooth®, and with Apple iOS using a wired connection via the USB port.'

appreciate Applink is different to just upgrading the module but wanting to confirm same rules don't apply.

iPhones require a USB connection In order to transmit playlist information.

Android devices transmit this data along with the audio stream.

The reason being that iPhones and iPod transmit the audio data at the best available quality, this leaves little room for additional lines of code. Plus the architecture of the system is totally different, it's like speaking English in Russia......even the letters don't look the same.

Android devices homogenise the audio data stream to 320 bits (IIRC don't quote me though) and so there is available bandwidth to send extra data when required.

The sync 1.1 update should allow for connection to Apple ipod/iPhone on the USB if you have one. 

So for bluetooth no, but generally it should help anyway.

Also, FYI and for everyone else who wants to know present and future. The Sync 1.0 module and the Sync 1.1 module is almost identical, in as much as the processor, ram and motherboard is the same although D1BT modules have 1 less USB and so the system has less to think about, allowing the operating system "Sync 1.1" to be installed and run.

E1BT modules retain the second USB input and got a slightly better processor and more ram on the board to help it cope.

D1BT was sync 1.1 for Fiesta

E1BT was sync 1.1 for Ecoboost/Focus

I can't say for sure that the E1BT will work in the fiesta but I'm sure I read it would.

It may be useful for people wanting to use a USB hard drive whilst retaining a free USB in the console

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, M6 44t car park attendant said:

The reason being that iPhones and iPod transmit the audio data at the best available quality, this leaves little room for additional lines of code. Plus the architecture of the system is totally different, it's like speaking English in Russia......even the letters don't look the same.

Android devices homogenise the audio data stream to 320 bits (IIRC don't quote me though) and so there is available bandwidth to send extra data when required.

The sync 1.1 update should allow for connection to Apple ipod/iPhone on the USB if you have one. 

So for Bluetooth no, but generally it should help anyway.

Also, FYI and for everyone else who wants to know present and future. The Sync 1.0 module and the Sync 1.1 module is almost identical, in as much as the processor, ram and motherboard is the same although D1BT modules have 1 less USB and so the system has less to think about, allowing the operating system "Sync 1.1" to be installed and run.

E1BT modules retain the second USB input and got a slightly better processor and more ram on the board to help it cope.

D1BT was sync 1.1 for Fiesta

E1BT was sync 1.1 for Ecoboost/Focus

I can't say for sure that the E1BT will work in the fiesta but I'm sure I read it would.

It may be useful for people wanting to use a USB hard drive whilst retaining a free USB in the console

Thank you so much for this! Saves me wasting time trying to sort the 1.1 upgrade when likely my iPhone still won't transmit track names when playing via bluetooth mode!

Full Track names do work from my iPhone with the USB connection on current Sync 1.0 version, FYI!

15 minutes ago, drward1 said:

Thank you so much for this! Saves me wasting time trying to sort the 1.1 upgrade when likely my iPhone still won't transmit track names when playing via Bluetooth mode!

Full Track names do work from my iPhone with the USB connection on current Sync 1.0 version, FYI!

No problem. 

That's interesting; I was lead to believe it would not.

Are you sure you don't already have sync 1.1?

41 minutes ago, drward1 said:

Thank you so much for this! Saves me wasting time trying to sort the 1.1 upgrade when likely my iPhone still won't transmit track names when playing via Bluetooth mode!

Are you sure track names won't show up? Unless you have a really old iPhone there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, M6 44t car park attendant said:

11 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Are you sure track names won't show up? Unless you have a really old iPhone there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

I was lead to believe the above were true, unless you know different?🤔

7 hours ago, M6 44t car park attendant said:

I was lead to believe the above were true, unless you know different?🤔

Haha nice try, but simply not quite true. The bandwidth of bluetooth is above what any iPhone music quality is like, and can easily afford a few extra bits when the track is loaded for the metadata. iTunes quality is nothing (256kbps) compared to a lossless Flac (usually over 1000kbps), which easily plays over bluetooth (granted the quality will be lowered slightly). The same goes for spotify premium, which I believe is 330kbps.

The architecture you speak of should be exactly the same... bluetooth.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Haha nice try, but simply not quite true. The bandwidth of Bluetooth is above what any iPhone music quality is like, and can easily afford a few extra bits when the track is loaded for the metadata. iTunes quality is nothing (256kbps) compared to a lossless Flac (usually over 1000kbps), which easily plays over Bluetooth (granted the quality will be lowered slightly). The same goes for spotify premium, which I believe is 330kbps.

The architecture you speak of should be exactly the same... Bluetooth.

In that case I'll try my mates iPhone via bluetooth over the weekend and give it a go and report back 👍

18 minutes ago, M6 44t car park attendant said:

In that case I'll try my mates iPhone via Bluetooth over the weekend and give it a go and report back 👍

Oh I probably should've said my mate has a 64 plate Zetec-S and his iPhone shows the track names with spotify.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Oh I probably should've said my mate has a 64 plate Zetec-S and his iPhone shows the track names with spotify.

Oh well that settles it then, sync 1.1 is capable of displaying track names on iPhone via Bluetooth 😁

I don't know how to link to drward1 to let him know.....

Does this mate of yours have the spotify app on his sync? I can't find the download to it and that Ford app is totally useless!!!

1 hour ago, M6 44t car park attendant said:

Oh well that settles it then, sync 1.1 is capable of displaying track names on iPhone via Bluetooth 😁

Does this mate of yours have the spotify app on his sync? I can't find the download to it and that Ford app is totally useless!!!

I have no idea. I just know he has an iPhone using spotify and whenever he's taken me anywhere I can see the track name on the screen without using USB. I'd imagine he just uses it as normal but sends the metadata as he has SYNC 1.1.

12 hours ago, Kawang said:

Whats the cost of this unit?

Screenshot_20190109-195259_Gallery.jpg

The cost of the unit? If you mean the price I have no idea.

It seems that this is the part number fitted to vehicles in Thailand. I'm afraid I don't know if this is a Sync 1 or Sync 1.1 module.

I'd presume that this is Sync 1 since Thaifiesta posted that this was his part number.

Again I presume that if you can get hold of a 

D1BT-14D212

OR

E1BT-14D212 

Then you should still be able to upgrade to Sync 1.1 by following the info in this thread

On 1/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, M6 44t car park attendant said:

Oh that's great news! I'll sort that upgrade now then, thanks a lot!

On 1/7/2019 at 11:01 PM, Luke4efc said:

Yes. I have an iPhone 7 and play music through the Spotify app, I get full track info when connect via USB, but nothing when connected via bluetooth. This is the same for my friends Android phone however! So must the old the Sync software causing this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade a bluetooth / voice control module (see photo below of module) to a SYNC 1.1 D1BT? I guess I would have to upgrade the head unit aswell.. but do you reckon the connections are the same? I believe this module is pre-SYNC 1.0. (my car is a 61 reg Fiesta Zetec 1.25 btw)

gTG1Lfg.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2017 at 9:34 PM, lwatson99 said:

So glad it worked and my guide helped you 🙂

dont forget to update to 5.9 (download file is on another topic) if you haven’t already and enjoy!!

Thanks for posting this guide.  I'll definitely be giving it a go with my Fiesta asap!

Do you have a link to the download topic?  It might just be me being dim but I can't seem to find it.

Also, do you have any idea which is the best part number to go for.  A quick look on eBay tells me that the modules starting with D1BT-14D212 have a variety of different letters after them (NA, RB, EB...).  I just wonder if there's a better one to go for.

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

Great guide, thanks!  Just done this with my 2014 Fiesta.

Top tip for removing the plastic fittings that attach the module to the piece of trim: use a small screwdriver to gently push the centre of the fitting in from the back.  You need to push on the bit with a cross etched into it (see photo).  This makes it drops out easily.

IMG_20191013_113118733.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club