Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Fault

AmiZaKi

Hi All,

I am facing problem with my Ford Focus 05 number plate from yesterday.

Yesterday evening it shows suddenly "Engine System Fault", then "Acceleration Reduced".... I drive home like 5 miles without any problem but that message was showing.. Then this morning haven't seen any message. But, in the evening coming back home just now had more problem... first shown "Engine System Fault", then suddenly "Malfunction" stuck on the road. Tried couple of times to restart the car... but without any luck... after 5/6 times/minutes...It shows again "Engine System Fault", then "Acceleration Reduced" and I drive back home. Last I haven't seen any message....but showing engine yellow alert light....

I am really worrying what can be the problem.... I have annual ford service booking on 4th July with MOT.... and now this problem.... What should I do ? what is the best option in this scenario ? should I wait for next service 3 weeks time or... book appointment    urgently.... but in that case... is it possible or safe to drive the car

Will be grateful, if you guys share your experienced opinion for my situation.

Thank you in advanced...

Zaki

It sounds to me like a DPF. Issue probably if a desil. If not a desil am unsure but very common issues with these cars. Not cheap either. @60/1000 depending.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply...

btw, this is petrol car and very old 2005 model & 71k mileage on the clock.

market value £500-1000 max.

Do you have any idea how much it will be cost to repair ? Will it be worthy to repair this now... Specially annual service & MOT due next month.

Another thing, can i call breakdown service to check the error message to understand the fault code ?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, AmiZaKi said:

Thanks for your reply...

btw, this is petrol car and very old 2005 model & 71k mileage on the clock.

market value £500-1000 max.

Do you have any idea how much it will be cost to repair ? Will it be worthy to repair this now... Specially annual service & MOT due next month.

Another thing, can i call breakdown service to check the error message to understand the fault code ?

Thanks

If your petrol then you won't have a DPF filter and i'm not sure if it's that old and was diesel it would have one anyway....If you have home start on your breakdown package yes you can call breakdown service and i'm pretty sure they'll be able to get a fault code for you which would help in finding out the cause of the issue.  If you haven't got home start you could always drive the car somewhere safe at least a quarter of a mile from home and call them then as that's the minimum distance usually to call them out without home start. I have done this before :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks Mate... yea i got free home start breakdown service from Nationwide Bank..I wll call them today to check the fault code...

thanks again

• Like 1

Ok... breakdown service came & find the message U0001 stated "High Speed CAN communication bus" & advised me to take the garage. I called ford & next appointment 22/06/17. So time being car at home.... do you guys any idea what can be the problem ?

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

Any idea guys ? I am confused... is it serious issue or not.. if it costly to repair then better i will go for scrap it... as i don't want to spend £500 for a car valued of £500. 🤔

If the garage knows what it could be before they sort your car out they may give you a quote for the job(s) do you can decide then.Its hard to decide until you know what the job entails 

• Like 1

Tdci-peter is knowledgeable about canbus errors and may be able to help here. If the canbus is unreliable it can throw up all kinds of spurious faults. It might just be a connector needing to be re-seated or it might be the known issue with solder joints on the instrument cluster.

• Like 2

Thanks mate...

one thing just wondering on my mind... as my annual service and MOT due... will it be wise repair, service, MOT same day or should i go for repair first then if cost effective then service & MOT... otherwise, scrapping will be better....

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, got call from Ford dealer. Engineer informed Cluster need to change costing £1,000. Thats expensive. Car value is £1000 max. So, i am confused... should i go local garage for cheap work for same job ? Or sell the car....

advise please...

thank

Sell or scrap it

Especially since you still have a service and MOT due in 12 days, you do not know what that will show up which could cost even more money

£1000 quid to change the IC? its a pain in the ***** job but you could do it for a fraction of that price,

you can typically pick up an ECU, ignition barrel and IC for quite a bit less, it would mean having two keys (unless you got the door lock as well)

being an auto might make it harder to find but you could get the lot from 70 quid to 270.  there are a lot of TDCI parts so finding the right ones would be te hard bit

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club