Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6 Months On And Still Faults

DavesEdge

About a week and a half ago I emailed my sales rep this list of current faults with my Edge after going in to speak to them.

He told me that he would pass my comments/complaints on.

I am about to go down to find out what the latest is with this faults list as I have heard noting in repsonse so far.

• Still signs of car wax from pdi in places around bottoms of doors

• Intermittent tailgate (nearly missed a flight from Heathrow because of this) does not always close properly, then re opens

• Rattle from N/S/F door

• Sat nav rubbish out of date when got car (courtesy car had more updated version)

• Sat nav rubbish - Who ever heard of "at roundabout take 6th exit" when only 3 exits on roundabout

• Sat nav rubbish - Could not even find Heathrow parking using heathrow supplied postcode

• Paintwork missing O/S apperture of tailgate (still) after one shoddy attempted repair

• N/S/R door does not close correctly. All rear passengers have had problems closing it (including sales rep when I got him to try)

• Lane Assist - Has stopped assisting

• Pdi stamp in car book still not done - This could be used against me when I go to sell car

• Car tried to go into self park mode whilst driving around a roundabout

• In middle of a nearly empty car park all sensors went off saying I was too close all round to everything

• Car tried going into self park mode when driving down motorway

I will update when I know more...

Dave

Blimey- quite a list. I've had the parking sensors go off for no reason, and also a pre collision alarm for no reason, which ironically nearly caused me to crash it was so dramatic! 

Leftover wax- could you not just wipe that off?

I was thinking that about the wax. I assume it's that thick stuff that they inject into crevices and seem to appear at the little drain holes at the bottom of the doors. A bit it white spirit takes it off. 

I included the wax (though it easy to clean off) because my dealer asked me to list everything that I had found with my car.

It is not only what they inject into crevices, but it is normally all over the car to protect the paintwork during shipment from the factory to the dealer's site.

Where it seems to appear in the drain holes is where they have gone a bit heavy with the protection at the factory..

Thought a few owners might pick up on this comment though.

My sales rep told me that he was going to email the service dep top boss, as well as copy his top boss in (and myself) so that all could see my complaints.

Update on list still to follow

Certainly seems like there's good ones and bad ones- or maybe just bad PDIs by dealers. 

Only snag I'm having with mine in the tech- I normally have one event per day of something not quite working as it should. Last night is was the speed limiter- confidently driving through a village after setting it to 30- looked down some minutes later and it had changed itself to 33. This morning it was convinced I was in a 30 zone but it was a 50. 

Other than that I love the car and I'm quite surprised at how many compliments it gets. Especially the colour- same as yours. 

Hope you get it sorted soon so you can enjoy it properly. 

3 hours ago, NeilRS said:

Certainly seems like there's good ones and bad ones- or maybe just bad PDIs by dealers. 

Only snag I'm having with mine in the tech- I normally have one event per day of something not quite working as it should. Last night is was the speed limiter- confidently driving through a village after setting it to 30- looked down some minutes later and it had changed itself to 33. This morning it was convinced I was in a 30 zone but it was a 50. 

Other than that I love the car and I'm quite surprised at how many compliments it gets. Especially the colour- same as yours. 

Hope you get it sorted soon so you can enjoy it properly. 

What do you mean setting it 30?  is it where you manually set the limit so the car won't go above it until you cancel it?

Yeah, speed limiter- although you can accelerate through it if you floor it. Really good feature.

• Like 1

Hi NeilRs

Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying my car. I just want these faults sorted out.
Am also surprised that though dealer tells me that have sold quite a few of these, in the last 6 months I have only seen 5 others on the road whilst driving.

Hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am enjoying my one.

Dave

I had the excess wax/grease on the lower doors. My Mrs was tamping on the day we picked the car up, got the stuff all over her dress! 

Not good to see that gunk on a new car! 

Another surprise today.

Have just received a letter from Ford Motor Company about my car is on a safety recall to have work done.

Great I thought, Ford's have realised all the problems and are sorting them out, but when I read through the letter it says about the side curtain airbags may have a problem.

And that I have to contact my local dealers to have put right. This has left me wondering if there are going to be any other surprises on the way.

Before I purchased my car I read up on several reviews about these Canadian built vehicles *the origin of my one). The reviews were favourable (I even posted links to a couple on a previous post). The gist that I got was that the worst was a sloshing noise from the fuel tank. Does not really bother me as used to this sort of noise from years on motor bikes and previous old bangers that I had, and to be honest whilst actually listening for it, I have not really heard it.

As these had been out in Canada for  few years before being launched over here, I would have thought there would be no safety recalls, but at least they are recalling and not brushing under the carpet (like the recent great altered emissions scandel - Vw etc).

Just as an aside, the letter was dated 7 June, I received it on 15 June. It was posted in Aylesbury being sent to Essex. Post office speed strikes again 8 days for about 80 miles or did Ford just post it out late?

Still no answers yet to original post, so no update on that yet.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Latest update.

Car goes in next week to have all these problems sorted out.

Will post once car been "repaired" with outcomes.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

As I said I would here is the update after my visit to my dealers concerning all my listed faults.

Since my original posting some more faults came to light, these being

• Seat belt warning alarm telling me to put seat belt on - I was already wearing it.
  • Rubber Trim around N/S/R door incorrectly fitted/coming away
  • Sat Nav struck again (in Kent this time)

After collecting my car from dealers, I had the following results

• Pdi Wax doors dirty - Obviously had not been looked at - Will be done when tailgate gets done
  • Tailgate problems - Have been told I have a faulty tailgate motor - New one ordered from Germany and car booked in for fitting
  • Rattle N/S/R door - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • Sat Nav - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • Paintwork tailgate aperture - Repainted
  • N/S/R door difficult to close - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • Lane Assist - Now Assisting again
  • Car trying to go into self park mode - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • In middle of nearly empty car park all sensors went off - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • Seat belt warning telling me to put seat belt on It was already on - No faults found - Have been asked to keep fault diary detailing road conditions, day/night, time, date, etc, etc
  • Rubber Trim around N/S/R door incorrectly fitted/coming away - Again was not looked at - Will be done when tailgate gets done

Airbag recall - Work carried out to do this, my Blue "Edge" door trim lights all still working, as everything else seems to be (apart from the above intermittent problems)

Apparently the headlining has to be dropped for this recall work, at least that is what I was told when asking how dealers technicians had managed to break my dash cam.

As soon as this damage was pointed out dash cam was replaced immediately, with no quibbles.

Car going back in about week and a half for tailgate work, etc.

Dave

Does your sat nav have the hidden setting "Narrowest Route"? I've been down some interesting roads in Wales & the West Country.

My edge went in for airbag recall and also replace head lining due to water getting in door seal, managed to mess that up, ie dirty marks and lining looking like wrinkle skin, now have to wait till end of september before they can get the parts to replace the parts they f**ked up. Lost my rear parcel shelf in the process, 

Sound like you need a big book for your fault diary!

11 hours ago, DavesEdge said:
  • Tailgate problems - Have been told I have a faulty tailgate motor

How did the tailgate issues manifest themselves?  

Mine still operates but has a distinctly louder ticking noise from motorised strut than it initially had.

Jim

Hello Dave

my Edge has a rattle from the N/s/r door erea it seems to appear when I get to about 50 mph

paul

Hi All

A few questions to my last post, so here goes with some answers (as best as I can)

Kelvin1950 - We went for a short break to a quaint seaside town in Norfolk called Mundesley, on way home decided to stop off at Bressingham Steam & Gardens, using the sat nav to get there. My wife, children and myself were truly amazed at some of the two way single track roads that my sat nav managed to take me down, that were so narrow the foliage on either side of my car was brushing the dirt off (luckily enough no cars coming the other way). One of these single track roads seemed more to be a farmers track than an actual road. This was after I set my sat nav to quickest route, as you may have guessed I set it back to its default setting after this.

Jim610 - Tailgate issues were in car from day I picked it up. Dealer was demonstrating various controls and tailgate done its thing. Dealer got service manager to come have a look, both could not figure out cause of fault. I took car on understanding that fault would be looked at following week when car booked in. Still no fault to be found. Tailgate would totally randomly fail to shut and bounce back open again, necessitating the need to manually shut it (this did not always work first time either) this was anywhere, anytime, any weather conditions. Then when tailgate nearly caused me to miss business flight from Heathrow, This was when it was booked back in for earlier this week.

Bluepeter - Sorry to hear that about your headlining. I have read a few posts on here about water leaks from various places, mainly the sunroof. Hope you made a point about rear parcel shelf, as in want it replaced as they lost it.

Aussipom - The rattle from my NSF door is totally intermittent (comes and goes). I have a feeling that it is the internal window channel loose (a fault that I had on my Galaxy back in 2002). This used to be an occasional fault when I was a PDI technician myself (20 odd years ago), though I have not told dealers this info, it just gives me a little bit of inside knowledge you could say.

Dave

Naively, I expect quickest or fastest route to take me on A roads or motorways rather than the roads it seems to choose. In Wales that included a road where my wife had to get out and open a gate and one where she had to shoo sheep out of our way! If I selected shortest route I wouldn't have been so surprised.

I too have acquired a rattle from the rear, seems to be the tailgate but I suppose it could be a rear door.

Thanks Dave , They are ordering me a new one, can not see them being cheap, i broke one of the cargo net lugs on the left hand side, you can not buy these on there own you need to purchace the whole panel at £175. Rip off or what ?

On 12/08/2017 at 9:32 PM, kelvin1950 said:

Naively, I expect quickest or fastest route to take me on A roads or motorways rather than the roads it seems to choose. In Wales that included a road where my wife had to get out and open a gate and one where she had to shoo sheep out of our way! If I selected shortest route I wouldn't have been so surprised.

I too have acquired a rattle from the rear, seems to be the tailgate but I suppose it could be a rear door.

I had a rattle from the rear and it turned out to be the number plate mounting plaque. I took it off and added some double sided tape padding and the rattle disappeared. 

• Like 1

Well, my car currently in having the tailgate motor warranty repair done. And supposedly dealing with other items on list. When I dropped car off they told me would be ready later on today. I remain sceptical on that time scale, given my faults list. Also not to mention the free service they are providing me with, as well as the free of charge courtesy car, a B Max this time.
Will let you know outcome when I eventually get my car back.

Dave

On 12/08/2017 at 9:32 PM, kelvin1950 said:

Hi

At least your wife was able to get out of the car to open the gate, though I would not have expected the sat nav to put yourselves in that predicament in the first place, on some of the roads that we travelled down the foilage on either side was so tall that you could not see over the top of it to get warning of oncoming traffic, let alone get out of the car as it was so close (brushing against the doors).

Latest update with my car :-

Have got it back from dealers having had the tailgate motor repaired under warrenty. Have tried tailgate several times so far, each time it was behaving itself.

But they did not look at any of the other issues (apart from the ones that I am doing a faults diary for). There was even a block of wood stuck to the bottom of my car where it had been up on the ramps for its "First Inpsection Service" as my dealers call it.

I pointed out these other items that had not been addressed to the dealers, who told me that they would be looked at as my car has to be booked back in for a fault found during the service.

This fault being that they discovered "an oil leak from transfer box that requires investigation". When I asked front or rear transfer box as 4 wheel drive? I was told the rear box.

I asked if my car was safe to drive, given that there was an oil leak basically from the rear diff. They told me that it was perfectly safe, even if I were to go on a 200 mile short break trip, as I was/am planning on going somewhere away from it all (as the expression goes).

I am now currently waiting for a date to get car booked back in for oil leak, under warrenty of course.

When I get the oil leak sorted, I will update again with more news.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

It seems to me that a couple of my posts have not appeared for some reason.

Car went in to have oil leak sorted and other problems, rattle from tailgate, N/S/F door rattle. N/S/R door rubber seal replace, Pdi wax.

oil seal replaced, door seal replaced, wax done, no action on rattles as could not detect anything. Going back next Tuesday for a road rattle test.

Faults diary already being filled up, seat belt warning (when I was wearing it), Sensors in car park, etc.

Once I get what I think is enough, then back to the dealers for the next round of repairs.

I am still really enjoying my car though, despite all these problems.

Dave

I had a rattle from the tail gate which I traced to the plastic trim the number plate fixes to. Two blobs of blutac and no more rattle...

I had to cancel the road rattle test as on the day all the rattles had vanished whilst driving to and from work.
Will wait to see if/when they come back and reboot.