Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 dump valve?

Juicehead99

Picking up a 1.6tdci tomorrow.

What cheap but loud dump valve can I get for it guys?

1 hour ago, Juicehead99 said:

Picking up a 1.6tdci tomorrow.

What cheap but loud dump valve can I get for it guys?

None 

There variable vein turbo meaning there more efficent they don't produce any excess boost which can be expelled via a blow off valve. 

A dumpvalve on a Turbocharged diesel engine like the 1.6 TDCI does not make any sense. Apart from the blow off noise it will not bring you anything (most likely only DTC codes and an engine malfunction warning message).

A Turbocharged Petrol engine has a throttle body and a throttle plate to regulate the amount of air going into the engine. When the throttle pedal is released during shifting the throttle plate closes and the RPM of the engine drops. The suddenly closed throttle plate restricts the airflow to the engine and slows the turbo down. During that moment the dumpvalve (or recirc valve) opens to release the excessive turbo pressure. Releasing the pressure prevents the turbo from slowing down which reduces the turbo lag. Another purpose of a dump valve (or recirc valve) is to prevent damage to the throttle plate by the turbo pressure when the throttle plate suddenly closes.

Most Turbocharged Diesel do not have a throttle body and a throttle plate. Because of this there is no technical reason to install a dumpvalve. 

If you still want to install a dump valve on a Turbocharged Diesel engine it needs to be an electronically controlled dump valve. Decent ones have their own control module which is connected to the eletronic throttle pedal. 

• Like 2

Ye i understand how a dump valve works as when you let off the turbo still spins.

but I just wanted to know if I could add a universal one to the engine?

By sounds of it its a no though? Lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Juicehead99 said:

Ye i understand how a dump valve works as when you let off the turbo still spins.

The modern diesel engine and turbo spools up differently compared to petrol,

In the modern diesel; the boost cuts back as the engine naturally gains the power required to maintain the cruising speed, 

I've saw this personally as I had a boost gauge fitted, the boost maxed at 22-24Psi then it slowly dies back to around to a steady 10Psi as the revs build up, 

Old skool turbos were either on or off with boost but the variable vein turbo doesn't produce excess unfortunately. 

Keep the money for a straight swap hybrid turbo from nbstyling or some LED lights even lowering springs or a nice rear spoiler.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Juicehead99 said:

It is possible to install a universal dump valve but it needs to be an electronically controlled dump valve. Most universal aftermarket dump valves are vacuum controlled and will not work on a Diesel engine.

• Like 3

OK ***** it lads Al wait till I turbo my petrol fez then. Thanks 😎

What do I need to make sure my new jap turbo has when I buy for my petrol to assure I can fit a dump valve?

• Like 1

It's not a problem on a petrol car because you have low pressure in the inlet manifold so they can be vacuum activated.  Diesels don't have a throttle plate so don't have low pressure in the same manner.

You could just lean out the window and shout "PSSSTTTTT" with every gear change.  Its cheaper, and will do about the same for performance.

• Like 4

I'm gna lean out window and shout psssttt for sure today on way home!

I'm turboing my 1.8 petrol so when I order the turbo what will I need to make sure it has?

Internal or external waste gate? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club