Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus - What not to do with FoCCCus...

Phil21185

And the moral of the story is-
ALWAYS save your original configuration files prior to altering anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Never had the crash indicator fire, but I think despite the warnings, if you have an as-built, you'd have to have bad luck to completely brick your car.  I accidentally turned on loads of stuff the car didn't have and all hell broke loose, but easily fixed.

Also, even with VCM you get the mass of comms errors so that just seems to be the system.

• Like 1

After running Foccus to enable dash nav turn notifications I had to run Forscan to clear some DTC that were thrown up.

Yep I've had this happen - so scary; engine management light came on and car wouldn't start at all. First time I'd ever used focccus or forscan and thought I'd completely wrecked the car. Was able to clear error codes with forscan and all was fine 

Just incase you hadn't taken a backup, you can also download the as-built data from here:

http://ford.xtlt.ru/ab/

I did have a similar moment of panic turning on hill start assist and DDS for my mum's Focus. After programming the BCM the dash lit up like a christmas tree.

I'd already got Forscan installed so scanned and cleared and they went away.

• Like 6

Yeah I realised that things weren't as drastic as they seemed but I was still sweating a bit til I got it figured out. 

FoCCCus and ForScan are big leaps from Formidable for my mk1.5!

"Ooh look! When I press the accelerator, the revs on my laptop go up too! That's cool <nerdy laugh>":biggrin:

• Like 3

What's the difference between FoCCCus and ForScan then?

I presume you download both to your laptop and use them via ELM connector in the OBD port?

Newbie to this sort of thing :)

• Like 1

Focccus is primarily for editing the central config on the car.

Forscan is primarily for code reading and resetting although it can do some programming too.

• Like 5

Forscan can edit hex codes, code keys and suchlike whereas Foccus changes asbuilt data for switching on non standard / premium features like nav, cruise control etc.

• Like 2

It'll be really nice when there's a full mapping of the settings. There's a lot of 'unknown' settings in FoCCCus and I don't have the bottle to fiddle with them :blush:

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Forscan can edit hex codes, code keys and suchlike whereas Foccus changes asbuilt data for switching on non standard / premium features like nav, cruise control etc.

Is this how thieves nick these cars then? Just code a key via forscan and an elm?

Might be nice if the obd slot was disabled while the alarm was activated or something...

Is this how thieves nick these cars then? Just code a key via forscan and an elm?
Might be nice if the obd slot was disabled while the alarm was activated or something...

More involved than that.
They 'spoof' the car into thinking a key is present.
There are dummy obd looms on eBay.

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222300302001

Yeah that's a decent idea. I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing but with a custom connector. Then I'd just keep the obd port in the house until needed.

In fact it'd be quite nice for some electronics genius to come up with a circuit attached to a dummy obd which would fry the equipment thieves use...

• Like 1

How do you get the forscan software?

Of course.

But why google and get a possible 1,000,000 possible answers when a car forum has members who have already done it and can give me an exact answer.

It's why we use the forum isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I installed a sync 1.1 head unit and screen but since realised it won't work with a pre-sync car and luckily now found a pre-sync screen. bluetooth and USB functions still won't work, this was the problem with the sync head unit and screen, and Focccus shows the serial number for the sync screen. I've changed the system settings back to standard bluetooth and branded ICP from sync but it looks as though I need to download a file to change the serial number back. There's a number of these as part of Focccus software download but not one marching serial number am5t-18b955-cg.

How do I get these?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

I installed a sync 1.1 head unit and screen but since realised it won't work with a pre-sync car and luckily now found a pre-sync screen. Bluetooth and USB functions still won't work, this was the problem with the sync head unit and screen, and Focccus shows the serial number for the sync screen. I've changed the system settings back to standard bluetooth and branded ICP from sync but it looks as though I need to download a file to change the serial number back. There's a number of these as part of Focccus software download but not one marching serial number am5t-18b955-cg.

How do I get these?

Thanks

I thought the serial number for the screen was stored in the ACM tab of focccus but it's in the FCDIM, obviously, and it shows the correct serial number now.

I also mentioned the USB doesn't work now but it does, it's just the bluetooth which isn't working now but my phone says it's connected and it mutes the stereo when I get a call, as does pressing the 'phone' button.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So just did this to my Focus, had the engine running and run Focccus, car stalled and every error possible started blinking on the dashboard. Totally thought i had bricked the car as nothing would work. To make it worse, i hadn't taken a backup (OMG i wish i had to begin with). Came online to see how to fix this as my laptop died (such bad timing) so couldn't get back out to check it. After 30 mins, laptop charged partially so went back out with ForScan to clear the errors. I didn't even get that far, when i got in the car there were no errors. Pressed the start/stop and the car came to life, no errors. Not sure what happened but could only assume leaving it for a bit went into sleep mode and woke up with its errors cleared. Cannot even describe how much i was sh*tting myself thinking i had broke my new car!

Lesson: Always take a backup and start Foccus with the engine turned off!

Thanks for everyones insight on this!

Chris

• Like 2

lesson should be don`t connect elm/laptop to your car while its got the engine running :w00t:

• Like 3

It is OK to use forscan on mk1 with engine running. I did it last Christmas. 

Yeah, ForScan was fine with the car running but not Focccus!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aradreth said:

Yeah, ForScan was fine with the car running but not Focccus!

Word Up