Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear or Projector style Ka headlights

Saxosim

Hi All,

I just bought my wife an 05 plate black streetka a few weeks ago and love the car but am not so keen on the oem fried egg headlights as I think the car looks far newer design wise than its actual age but the front headlights do let it down badly :-(

I have seen photos of others changing out the headlights and they look great.  The issue is with these cars being a fair age now there don't appear to be many aftermarket options available these days.

I just wondered if anyone happens to have a set of either fully clear or even the black projector style headlights for sale that they have kept from a previous Ka installation as I am quite shocked how expensive a new set cost.  

I am also aware from reading others posts that the quality of the actual road visibility on some replacements may not be great compared to the originals so any advice would also be appreciated?  

I also know that with the streetka front bumper cuts off a  partial section of the light so I need to find something that looks right and lights up the road properly.

Not bothered about angel eye style halos at all as I wouldn't wire these bits up anyway i just want the headlight, sidelights and indicator functionality. 

Thanks any advice appreciated or please let me know if you have a set available to sell?

why not just get a HID Kit??

they are loads on ebay/amazon but ££150+

but you will lose that lovely shaped orange indicator

fit some LED Bulbs to the fogs and use them as well (the switch keeps them on after you turn the ignition off)

JJ

Thanks for replying, would that be using HID's in one of the aftermarket projector headlight kits or just adding them to the original headlights?  Just not sure how I would lose the orange indicator part of the lense?  Thanks 

the aftermarket ones don't have the orange bit that follows the line of the grill...

ford_2005_streetka.jpg

so i personally think it would look strange

P1010030.jpg

get a £20 HID kit 

or spend £10 on a pair of LED fog bulbs and sidelight bulbs

JJ

Got to agree with Saxosim on this one. Projectors look way better and emphasis the bonnet line. Read somewhere that they have the light output of a flickering candle though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Ramsay-Fraser said:

Got to agree with Saxosim on this one. Projectors look way better and emphasis the bonnet line. Read somewhere that they have the light output of a flickering candle though.

Thanks Mike yes that's the bit I am concerned about, gaining great looking lights but poor functioning 😕 Will keep looking around 😎

won't the streetka wings cut off half the outer lamp also?

JJ

Thanks problemchild yes I wondered that too although I found a photo of a Streetka with the projectors fitted (attached) and it looks great and only slightly cuts off the edge of the halo which I wouldn't use anyway.  Tempted if I can get a pair used for a bit cheaper and can change out the bulbs for decent ones.

Another alternative is I wonder if I could modify a standard set to remove the orange filter somehow?

image.thumb.jpeg.0b060aae8252e7cc9dd194680d583510.jpeg

they don't look right IMHO

i like the orange but hey ;)

there was 1 x drivers one on for £22 but you would have to wait for the other ;)

JJ

Thanks yes I saw the single projector one advertised on eBay.  Saw some other ones as an alternative to the projectors too that I like the look of.  Just finding out if I can just reuse my original bulbs which would be good.

those are just reflector lenses

you should just get either some fly eyes tint film or the more expensive lamin-x

here's the brabus with the main beam units with lamin-x film on them

C168B32C-220A-4F36-9CA0-FF3DA21FBEF3.jpg

BAE46EFA-4D2E-4B25-BD90-C7927EDA392E.jpg

JJ

That looks great thanks for the photos and info

I contacted the retailer about the issue of part of the light being obscured by the wing and was told that it's only part of the outer halo that is hidden when viewed from straight on.

Personally, this wouldn't worry me and I'd probably use the inner halos as daylight running lights with the outer ones coming on with the dipped lights.

I know the headlights come supplied with bulbs but I'm sure it would be possible to fit better quality ones. Not sure if they'd take xenons, though.

• Like 1

Apart from looks, what gains are to be had from fancy lights....ive had new cars for the last 15 yrs and all of em have had crap headlights..my last car a mini cooper D,s lights were abysmal....current new car is a pug partner and there a little better...the streetka ones are very good imo, coming home late last night over pitch black moorlandsand cant fault em....

5 hours ago, Mike Ramsay-Fraser said:

I contacted the retailer about the issue of part of the light being obscured by the wing and was told that it's only part of the outer halo that is hidden when viewed from straight on.

Personally, this wouldn't worry me and I'd probably use the inner halos as daylight running lights with the outer ones coming on with the dipped lights.

I know the headlights come supplied with bulbs but I'm sure it would be possible to fit better quality ones. Not sure if they'd take xenons, though.

Thanks that useful to know.  I may look into those thanks if a clear set with the standard layout don't come my way first.

1 hour ago, Lee67 said:

Apart from looks, what gains are to be had from fancy lights....ive had new cars for the last 15 yrs and all of em have had crap headlights..my last car a mini cooper D,s lights were abysmal....current new car is a pug partner and there a little better...the streetka ones are very good imo, coming home late last night over pitch black moorlandsand cant fault em....

Your right they are great functionally just  i am personally not overly keen on the orange indicator section that's all.  I am now looking at a set of standard layout ones with a clear indicator lense which would mean I can use the standard bulbs too which would be great.

Yes i agree the orange indis arrnt visibilly great to look at, where haveu seen the clear front indis...ive found the clear and tinted side repeaters butnothing else

I found a German based company who sell and advertise a set for a LHD KA but they are currently checking with their supplier for me if they also sell RHD kits for the the UK.  I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks 

The supplier came back and said they don't have RHD version's so back to square one unfortunately 😕

• 2 weeks later...

Still having no luck sourcing these dam clear light units.  It seems with the mk1 ka kicking on a bit in age now no one makes the clear oem look versions.

I wonder if the orange filter can be removed from a standard set somehow?  Anyone ever tried this or had one of the original units in bits?

worth buying a second hand unit and getting it in the oven and splitting the unit

JJ

• Like 1

Yes tempted to source a used headlight cheap to see what I can do or not as the case may be