Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My aerial blew off!!!

Brigante

So I was leaving the M1 and something clanged off the roof, didn't see anything in the rearview but when I arrived at my destination I realized I was now aerialess.. Base and everything completely gone. The seal must have completely worn and the thing went airborne.

Typically I need an aerial with the gps receiver built into the base as I have the NX headunit (which I hate)

What are my options for replacing?

Will it be necessary to remove the roof lining? As I've had the courtesy light out and its a very tight space up there and I don't think I can route any wires with the lining in place.

Also after noticing that the mk4.5 mondeo doesn't have a visible aerial, I much prefer this look. So can anyone tell me how this aerial works exactly on the mk4.5?

If I can get rid of a visible aerial on my mk4, how easy would it be to get rid of the small hole left? Could it be filled, sprayed and blended easy enough so that there was no sign of an aerial being there?

I've got a mk4.5. I could be wrong but I think the aerial is built into the heated windscreen wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 minutes ago, Dave.813 said:

I've got a mk4.5. I could be wrong but I think the aerial is built into the heated windscreen wiring.

I heard something similar. So I guess thats something not easily retrofitted?

Something else I would like to do is fit a shark fin aerial to the rear. But that means relocating the aerial and some how get rid of the hole left at the front

Actually, you can buy a windscreen strip aerial from Halfords. I don't how pretty it will look but my advice would be to look around online and see what you can find, you'll probably find something better online. Just make sure whatever you buy has an earth, otherwise you'll blow the receiver in the radio.

14 minutes ago, Dave.813 said:

Actually, you can buy a windscreen strip aerial from Halfords. I don't how pretty it will look but my advice would be to look around online and see what you can find, you'll probably find something better online. Just make sure whatever you buy has an earth, otherwise you'll blow the receiver in the radio.

I have seen aftermarket windcscreen mounted aerials and as you say they arent very pretty. I either want something invisible like the mk4.5 or a sharkfin

22 hours ago, Brigante said:

I heard something similar. So I guess thats something not easily retrofitted?

Something else I would like to do is fit a shark fin aerial to the rear. But that means relocating the aerial and some how get rid of the hole left at the front

My belief from what  have around the forums s that the Mk4.5 uses patch antennas on the rear three quarter light windows. The front windscreen heater acts as  an RF shield and that's a bad thing if you actually want to receive the signal. The hrw also acts as a shield but will be effective at a slightly different frequency range and to a slightly different degree.

So you can see the attraction of using the quarter lights.  thin the Ford approach uses both and the system intelligently switches between the two depending on which has the best signal. To do this you probably need the Ford HU from the Mk4.5  (and maybe other bits, if there is a pre-amplifier which there may well be).

I also thought about a 'sharksfin' but  went off the idea once I realised that my insurance would charge me extra for it. 

Edited by BOF
stupid website 'auto added' a whole load of spaces; why?