Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil's Build Thread

Phil21185

27 minutes ago, Victory said:

Ive been thinking about getting the OE Style Flush Mount Cobra Parkmaster R0394 fitted, these guys up in birmingham fit them for around £400 front and rear and they do look good! http://poollretrofits.com/parking-aid-systems/

here pictures of them on a focus 

They certainly look better than the £20 eBay specials!

12 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

That's dark enough I think. Time for some photos.

By the way, the pin I used for the dimming was this one:

20170729_152558.jpg.f745a58088b19986a1fe9ae489f72f37.jpg

This is on the passenger side of the car, pin 3 (I think) but the wire is Purple/Green.  This makes the the DRLs dim when I turn my dipped beam on, but they stay on full with just the sidelights on.

20170803_212110.thumb.jpg.254d479385d3de13081c1bfb85748aa4.jpgThey're honestly not as dazzling as this picture shows but they do look good =]  So do the puddle lights =]]

20170803_212145.thumb.jpg.574cbffbfd8898a0ce825df84e07d732.jpg

Looks MEEEEEEEAAAN!  Might have to do something about those nearly yellow fogs though.  The lights in the head cluster are all Philips WhiteVision which are about as white as I can legally get.  

I'm not messing about crossing the line with LED headlight bulbs but does anyone know if the same rules apply to the fogs?  I would at least like to match the fogs to the DRLs for whiteness so there's some symmetry.

Opinions?

Is it legal to have them on full with side lights?

Also I can't get hold of a proper fuse tap today, but if the F42 is missing anyway, would this do, even just for now....

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-fuse-mini-blade-with-breakout-wire-10-amp-hfs280

I'll probably just scotch lock the headlight wire (Sorry) and tape it up well.

14 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Also I can't get hold of a proper fuse tap today, but if the F42 is missing anyway, would this do, even just for now....

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-fuse-mini-blade-with-breakout-wire-10-amp-hfs280

Same thing really so will do the job from Halfords. I scotch lock all wiring so i dont have to splice into oem wiring and then when removed its hardly noticable

Forget that - Found a proper one...

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/head-unit-accessories/autoleads-pc5-mbsfdual-add-a--fuse-accessory

Complete rip off obviously but 15% off makes it bearable to get it tonight. They are mini fuses right - same as passenger footwell box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vibeone said:

Forget that - Found a proper one...

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/head-unit-accessories/autoleads-pc5-mbsfdual-add-a--fuse-accessory

Complete rip off obviously but 15% off makes it bearable to get it tonight. They are mini fuses right - same as passenger footwell box.

Yep funny my fuse 42 had a 10 amp fuse in it never looked up what it is for

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vibeone said:

Its a bit hard to say which is better. The add a fuse style only just fits with a fuse in at 90 degrees but I can imagine the one you show here being too the all to get the fuse box cover back on.

I never thought about the legality of it really - the sidelights are so puny I thought keeping drls on full wouldn't matter. Note that the picture I have last on there is with everything on, including full beams! The drls do dim with dipped lights so I don't think it would be too dazzling. Also, there are sets which don't dim at all so wonder if this is an issue?

Yeah they're mini fuses. If you look, anything which is not included in the car only has one terminal in the fuse box. For example my fuse 42 only had a receiving terminal on one side, so the other prong of the fuse tap went into nothing.

Means that whatever it was, the wiring isn't present for it!

Nothing wrong with scotch locks by the way, better than a bad solder job that you can't reinsulate and easier where space is limited.

Just regarding the dimming, I wasn't sure what my (OEM) PFL DRL did so I checked them.
I don't HAVE sidelights...
With my lights "off" the DRL are bright, with my switch set to sidelights the DRL actually dim, and with the dipped beam on the DRL stay on but dimmed.
72b548797585cbc268dfb06e408adb0c.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'll just follow your guide for now with regards to DRL dimming, and hope that's legal.  I know there is a legal requirement for them to dim at low light - but can't remember if thats dip or side.

Did you find out about the legal side of LED fogs btw?

Also... I my have just spent £80 on an illuminated gear knob.

• Like 1

If it was low light conditions I'd be using dipped beam anyway. I don't think I've ever driven any car with just sidelights on. It's either too dark and I need dipped beams or too light and I don't need any. 

I tend to drive this car with the light switch on auto anyway so everything will come on and the drls will dim when needed.

You can wire them in to the sidelights so that they dim with them. I think it's pin 12 but not sure. Easiest way is to test with a multimeter.

Still not sure about led fogs. I don't drive around with them on like a numpty anyway so they'll rarely be seen working. That's not to say I want to cross the line as they'll be an issue come MOT time whether I use them or not.

Argh!!!!

these DRLs only have 2 wires. I take it there's no way to make these road legal? 

Argh!!!!

I assume that it is definitely an issue if they don't dim at all?

Hmm. You could put a resistor in the circuit but that would mean they would be dim all the time. Alternatively youd have to rig up your own dimmer, probably with a relay on the sidelight wire that switches the drl circuit to a resisted one...

They don't look anything like the amazon photos either

so other than £300 for the oems I can't think of anywhere where I can buy and fit over the weekend?

Any suggestions as to a proper set?

so depressed! All ready to go!

17 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Argh!!!!

these DRLs only have 2 wires. I take it there's no way to make these road legal? 

Argh!!!!

Hate to say it mate but these sound like the first ones i bought that were of poor quality .. i ended up buying some from aliexpress for about 40 as i too made same mistake and didn't make sure they had the four wires needed.

These are the ones i ended up getting, very good quality and was very impressed with them.. though you may have to wait....gloss match the titanium.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upgrade-Factory-direct-sales-Free-shipping-2012-Ford-Focus-3-LED-DRL-daytime-running-lights-fog/976503434.html

The set i bought were from eBay. Advertised as dimming and comes with the 3 wire setup. £35 delivered and as posted, im really happy with them. Time will tell of course if its worth the cash, but I could buy 6 sets of them for what oem cost and I think they look better...

Ill post a link in a sec...

Here you go!

• Like 1

Phil - they look identical to these I've got - I guess they just come with different control boxes.

you can purchase them from amazon on prime for Sunday but it seems such a mish mash I'd rather send back and get the kit.

victory - purely because I'm impatient I'll probably go for the eBay ones. Even tempted to find somewhere that'll let me collect tomorrow....

so angry!!!

24 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Phil - they look identical to these I've got - I guess they just come with different control boxes.

you can purchase them from Amazon on prime for Sunday but it seems such a mish mash I'd rather send back and get the kit.

victory - purely because I'm impatient I'll probably go for the eBay ones. Even tempted to find somewhere that'll let me collect tomorrow....

so angry!!!

those eBay look good, least they mention the wires!

Still so damn angry that they can't picture and describe a product properly!

Anyway, ordered these on prime for delivery wednesday.  The eBay link above option is out of stock so I didn't have much choice...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MU38DHB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does Fuse 42 usage negate the need for voltage checking btw? I'm assuming it's an ignition live?

I wired my drls to my own preference: dimmed with headlights on and full brightness with sidelights.

1501934853975.jpg

• Like 5

Fuse 42 is an ignition switched source, so yeah just plug and play.  Keifer, your car makes me drool a bit, but yeah I've wired in the same way you have.

"Someone get me my dribbling towel..."

• Like 2

Keifer out of interest how much would a wrap usually cost? A bit academic really as I'm a boat ride away from you but still interested!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Keifer out of interest how much would a wrap usually cost? A bit academic really as I'm a boat ride away from you but still interested!

Hmm roughly £1,000 I think. Takes 3 days too when I did mine so plan for that. Mine is coming off soon as it's starting to look a bit rough round the edges. That's what I get for rushing it :(

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kpg said:

Hmm roughly £1,000 I think

I paid £1125 to get Eve done two years ago.

• Like 1

I paid £1125 to get Eve done two years ago.
Yep, seems about right.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks. Not something I'll be getting done anytime soon then =D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club