Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil's Build Thread

Phil21185

Been a while - life and everything...

Just updating where I left off really for those who are interested, or bored lol!

I did get my US fascia fitted in the end but I didn't take any pictures of the process sadly. It was easy enough though - I found the pinouts for the hazard/lock button and pushed the appropriate pins onto it. 

Also, and much more recently, I fitted some heated pads into my seats. These were aftermarket and about £30, but work lovely and look pretty oem, apart from not being selectable in sync3.

Pictures of the finished goods coming soon, and as much of a write up as I can remember for the heated seats lol (no pics sadly - what has happened to me??!)

Much love.

• Like 1

Good work! I’ve also been busy, fitted a zetec s kit, dechromed the car and did a facelift steering wheel, think I might leave it alone for now 😂

I'm just in the process of fitting sync 2 to my focus ST pre-facelift. Made my own loom for the USB/SD card hub and now I just need to plumb that in. What a difference from Sync 1.1. Absolutely love it!

Thank you @Luke_Anderson @Phil21185, you're instructions and guides are ace and I couldn't have done this without both of your detailed guides 🙂 

I never really post on forums but with the amount of effort you guys have put in, just thought I'd say many thanks 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

I'm just in the process of fitting sync 2 to my focus ST pre-facelift. Made my own loom for the USB/SD card hub and now I just need to plump that in. What a difference from Sync 1.1. Absolutely love it!

Thank you @Luke_Anderson @Phil21185, you're instructions and guides are ace and I couldn't have done this without both of your detailed guides 🙂 

I never really post on forums but with the amount of effort you guys have put in, just thought I'd say many thanks 🙂

It's certainly the best car related forum I've ever come across (it's not for a :shit:heads like PistonHeads and there's some very smart people that go to great lengths to help others out).

• Like 1

You guys are welcome! It was something I really wanted so figured I probably wasn’t the only one, Phil done a great follow up guide to fill in all the gaps I missed. I pretty quickly went to sync 3 from my install and it is a whole new world from sync 2, if you get the chance to do it then do! I must admit the facelift steering wheel makes quite a difference as well 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luke_Anderson said:

You guys are welcome! It was something I really wanted so figured I probably wasn’t the only one, Phil done a great follow up guide to fill in all the gaps I missed. I pretty quickly went to sync 3 from my install and it is a whole new world from sync 2, if you get the chance to do it then do! I must admit the facelift steering wheel makes quite a difference as well 👍🏻👍🏻

Funds permitting I'll definitely go Sync 3. I managed to grab the full Sync 2 Kit for £135 - That will keep me occupied for a while hopefully 🙂 

That’s it, the cost is still so high, I got lucky with mine and got it very cheap, sync 2 is still 100% better than sync 1.1! 

15 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

That’s it, the cost is still so high, I got lucky with mine and got it very cheap, sync 2 is still 100% better than sync 1.1! 

Yeah, you struck gold on that one mate! I just updated sync 2 this morning on the way to work and I'm pretty sure I've used the wrong update file. It's now showing Information on the top right instead of insert SD card. Any ideas? I also had to re-calibrate the touchscreen through the diagnostics menu as it was back to front.. what a nightmare it was navigating the menu.. 

You might have updated it with a non nav file, check the coding on forscan as well to make sure that is still okay. 

42 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

You might have updated it with a non nav file, check the coding on forscan as well to make sure that is still okay. 

Thought that would have been the case! Ahh the joys, trial, and error all the way 🙂 will check forscan when I get chance too! From what i understand, 3.10 is the latest version? if that's the case then i'll have a google and see what i can find but i'll make sure it's the nav version this time

I believe it is however I had issues when I went to that as it wasn’t the official ford release, 3.08 was the one that was stable for me 

18 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

I believe it is however I had issues when I went to that as it wasn’t the official ford release, 3.08 was the one that was stable for me 

Nice one, cheers Luke. I'll go for that one instead. 

Just gave 3.08 a go and it just tells me it failed. And then trying the 3.10 with nav tells me I need to contact the dealership. Can I not just flash the unit from my laptop via the OBD2 cable?

Obviously checked both updates before I put them on the memory stick and made sure the format was correct in a text editor.

d3bab812abd83ec96965d0c360b06f75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you went to 3.10 you can’t go back, I’d look into Forscan and check NAVI is turned on in the coding 

Ah I get ya! Bit like iPhones where you can’t roll back to an earlier IOS. I will do, thanks for the prompt responses. Really appreciate it pal! :)

I may ask a few more questions but hopefully that’s it for now!

No worries! Fingers crossed it works out 👍🏻

Yeah, it’s 100% the nav version of sync 2 I just somehow managed to ‘remove’ it haha. Cheers!

Great thread, loving what you've done so far!

You've pushed me into getting the bonnet struts! Just ordered them from the same site for my Mk3!

One question (Which you may not know) is I've got a MK3 Titanium X... shouldn't I have a lit gear knob already? I've only had the car a month so I'm still to get working on it!

Cheers!

The gear knob on my 2012 Tit X is not illuminated, I expect the 2013 will be the same.

Titanium x didn’t have illuminated gear knobs, I think that was an st only thing 

Cool! So is it all working now? 

Yeah, all good! Thanks pal!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. 

I have a 2012 mk3 focus titanium x and I am desperate to upgrade the stereo. I have the black sony version but in the menu it says nothing about sync at so don't know what version it is. If at all. I also don't have the gpsm  plug behind the rear view mirror cover so I know that rules out using sync 2 system with sat nav. So would anyone know what my options are on upgrading.  Could I go straight to sync 3 or am I stuck with what I have?

Thanks in advance for any help

12 hours ago, Rob20236 said:

Hi all. 

I have a 2012 mk3 focus titanium x and I am desperate to upgrade the stereo. I have the black sony version but in the menu it says nothing about sync at so don't know what version it is. If at all. I also don't have the gpsm  plug behind the rear view mirror cover so I know that rules out using sync 2 system with sat nav. So would anyone know what my options are on upgrading.  Could I go straight to sync 3 or am I stuck with what I have?

Thanks in advance for any help

I know that the earlier mk3 focus used the older bt/vc system before sync came along, you could add the module for the gpsm as it’s only power and can wires that go to it. Sync 3 if it’s an option for you is a far superior system anyway and you don’t need the gpsm module. I know that the earlier bt/vc system can be upgrade to sync so in theory it should then be upgradable to sync 2 or 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club