Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost owners - do you obey The Arrow?

martin2345uk

As in the one that tells you when to change up a gear... sometimes it feels like it's in slightly too low a gear when I obey it.

Thoughts..? [emoji41]

No - ignore it completely. I still average around 48 MPG in a Titanium 125 PS.

My wife drives her EcoBoost following the change up arrows and loves the extra economy she has compared to her old 1.6 Peugeot. She constantly reminds that it costs half as much to fill up & lasts twice as long!

Me & arrows? no thanks ;)

I tend to follow it seems to have a good idea when to change up for the best. the change up point also seems dynamic based on driving conditions. i.e at around 2000rpm cruising around town and nearly 6000 rpm under very heavy acceleration or anywhere else in between

red line all day everyday haha, joking aside i roughly follow them not religiously but iv learned to upshift before turbo kicks in properly if im feeling like an environmentalist or iv learned to upshift when my exhaust make a certain pitch like if iv stolen it lol 

41 minutes ago, AlexBartlam said:

red line all day everyday haha, joking aside i roughly follow them not religiously but iv learned to upshift before turbo kicks in properly if im feeling like an environmentalist or iv learned to upshift when my exhaust make a certain pitch like if iv stolen it lol 

When does the turbo kick in for the 1.0L motors? 

i don't and i'm getting about 54mpg so I think my way is pretty decent.

54 minutes ago, kasajack said:

i did a bit of testing, obviously its constantly spinning but iv found it kicks at 2500 rpm 

On the 1.0 engines what is it exactly that gives the 125 version the extra 25 over the 100 version?

3 minutes ago, martin2345uk said:

On the 1.0 engines what is it exactly that gives the 125 version the extra 25 over the 100 version?

Simple remap is all as far as I'm aware. The 140ps 1.0 engines have different CAMs and gear ratios I believe to give it the extra oomph on top of the 125ps versions.

5 hours ago, kasajack said:

The wastegate closes - and thus brings the turbo in-loop - at 1400-1500rpm. The dyno curves bear this out given the near-instantaneous increase in torque (to max) at this speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin2345uk said:

As Sam says; it is all software. Apologies if I sound like a stuck record but looking at the dyno curves again you can see that the 125PS engine holds the torque for longer as the revs increase. This will be controlled by the ECU using the wastegate valve to maintain pressure for longer.

14 hours ago, Mariner said:

No - ignore it completely. I still average around 48 MPG in a Titanium 125 PS.

Nip to my neck of the woods and show me how to up my 34.2 ;)

7 hours ago, MJNewton said:

The wastegate closes - and thus brings the turbo in-loop - at 1400-1500rpm. The dyno curves bear this out given the near-instantaneous increase in torque (to max) at this speed.

The wastegate is normally closed, it opens when the boost pressure reaches a set level for the actuator to open the wastegate and send the exhaust gases to the exhaust and not the turbo.

the turbo doesn't kick in, it is as mentioned always spinning, max boost will be achieved at about 2500 revs which is when the turbo is upto speed.

• Like 1

Apologies; I think I was getting myself all mixed up.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bit of experimenting with FORScan today to find when peak boost is achieved. I can confirm that (on the 100PS Ecoboost at least) max boost (or as near as damn it) is achieved as early as ~1500RPM as the torque curves mentioned above hinted at:

20170628%20Forscan%20Plot%20of%20turbo-r

Note that the sensor is reading absolute pressure hence atmospheric pressure (~14.7PSI) needs removing from the figures to make conventional comparisons.

I am assuming that it is the combination of such a small turbo coupled with the variable valve timing that results in all-available boost being offered so early on in the rev range.

I suspect that the reference to peak boost being at 2500RPM may be in relation to discussion of Ecoboost engines in the US as I have read in a few places now that there may well be differences in configuration of their versions (perhaps due to the different emissions requirements and/or typical operating environment?).

• Like 1

I don't take a lot of notice of the arrow but it is very useful in town when you forget to change up in traffic.

^That.

I generally ignore the arrow but I must admit that with such long gearing I do sometimes forget I am still in 3rd/4th when I could be sitting in higher and so it has from time to time made me aware of this so for that reason alone I'd likely leave it in place if I had the choice to get rid of it or not.

• Like 1

Mrs Tull has a similar arrow in her new Kia Sportage. We both ignore it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club