Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recall of 1.5 diesel / camshaft sprocket

itscraig

yours has recall showing. 

This is getting me worried. I have 2015 Fiesta 1.5tdci which I bought when 10 months old and 9,500 miles in Sept 2016. (Mileage now 37k approx) On Ford ETIS it does not show anything o/s as needing doing.  But is there a way of telling if it was done before I bought it?  But i think the recall came out after I bought it anyway - can anyone confirm the date Ford started recalling?

can anyone tell me in what way the sprocket fails?  do the teeth strip off or does it just break in the middle?  if I took the cover off and had a look are there any signs to check for  it being on its way out like cracks in a certain place.

Has anyone got a photo of their failed one?

54 minutes ago, isetta said:

This is getting me worried. I have 2015 Fiesta 1.5tdci which I bought when 10 months old and 9,500 miles in Sept 2016. (Mileage now 37k approx) On Ford ETIS it does not show anything o/s as needing doing.  But is there a way of telling if it was done before I bought it?  But i think the recall came out after I bought it anyway - can anyone confirm the date Ford started recalling?

can anyone tell me in what way the sprocket fails?  do the teeth strip off or does it just break in the middle?  if I took the cover off and had a look are there any signs to check for  it being on its way out like cracks in a certain place.

Has anyone got a photo of their failed one?

whats the build date of yours? 

Hi Iantt, Ford etis shows build date as    05.11.2015

Yours is fine. Not required. 

OK, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the recall work carried out in September last year and all went well, but today I found engine oil on the ground, splattered all over the top of the engine and soaked into the sound proofing under the bonnet. The dipstick had worked loose and oil seems to have been sprayed at some force out of the dipstick tube. oil level was well below Minimum. Car's mileage is only 22,000 and next service is due in September. Could this problem be linked to the work on the cam? If not, has anyone had the same problem with a lightly-used 1.5 engine? I will be contacting the dealer but would like to do a bit of research first.

Cheers

FX

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. This  is my first post. I have a 2014 Focus 1.6 tdci Titanium Navigator Estate. I realise you are talking about the 1.5 engine, but my cam sprocket became detached from the rivets. Altough the belt was damaged, it was caught in time to prevent serious engine damage. Although this occurred 6 months out of warranty, I put it to Ford that this part should not have failed. They were less than helpful. It cost £600. So, having picked up o this thread, I am curious if my problem was an unfortunate one off or if this is a known issue with the 1.6 diesel too. Can anyone comment, please?

i had exactly the same problem with my 63 reg 1.6 tdci. 

2760F663-D00C-4F52-8B55-58F81E8559B3.jpeg

Hi Typhoon f2. Thanks for your response (and apologies to everyone if I have gatecrashed or posted in wrong place).

Your photo matches exactly the one I took and sent to Ford. Ford denied there was a problem and it was the "first they had heard of it". Clearly they were being dishonest. Even accepting it was out of warranty, such an important  component  should not fail like this. I'm pretty sure consumer law would agree. Unlikely I can take this further, however, as the car was serviced outwith the dealer network. It is not supposed to make a difference, but I'm sure it does! Out of curiosity, Did you inform Ford? And we're they more receptive to you?

In all other respects, I love this car. It is well kitted out. I'll not say I'll never have another Ford (toys and pram spring  to mind) but I will be looking at other makes. Incidentally,  nothing against main dealer servicing...it is just that I have a very talented mechanic who has stuck with me over the years. And, he spotted this problem.

7 minutes ago, Ski Stick said:

Hi Typhoon f2. Thanks for your response (and apologies to everyone if I have gatecrashed or posted in wrong place).

Your photo matches exactly the one I took and sent to Ford. Ford denied there was a problem and it was the "first they had heard of it". Clearly they were being dishonest. Even accepting it was out of warranty, such an important  component  should not fail like this. I'm pretty sure consumer law would agree. Unlikely I can take this further, however, as the car was serviced outwith the dealer network. It is not supposed to make a difference, but I'm sure it does! Out of curiosity, Did you inform Ford? And we're they more receptive to you?

In all other respects, I love this car. It is well kitted out. I'll not say I'll never have another Ford (toys and pram spring  to mind) but I will be looking at other makes. Incidentally,  nothing against main dealer servicing...it is just that I have a very talented mechanic who has stuck with me over the years. And, he spotted this problem.

hi ski stick. no i never informed ford as the car was out of warranty. i took it to an indy garage and they thought it was fuel pump because it was making an awful noise and when they took the cover off they seen it was this sprocket. 

mine sounded like this

Cheers for this.mine was making a high pitched sound. Mechanic thought drive belt but quickly discovered real cause.

I reckon you have gone “above and beyond” and I’m grateful for your help. Brilliant first experience for me with the site and I’ll keep looking. And maybe I can help someone one day. Thank you 

• 9 months later...

2 days ago my 4 year fold 1.5 diesel Focus lost all power on a roundabout without any warning.  The sprocket had shattered.  The garage I use told my to Google it to see if it was a common problem as it shouldn't have happened.  I found this thread and looked on the Ford ETIS site.  My car was showing the recall.  Ford's haven't notified me even though I have owned it for 3 years.  Started initial discussions with Ford's who said they sent the recall to the original owner. I don't think I am the only person to own a second hand Ford!  Any ideas as to how this will play out?

20190430_080522697_iOS.jpg

I have no idea how you will get on with ford. It would be interesting to know what date they wrote to the previous owner and what date you bought the car. And what date DVLA changed the records to your name. If they wrote to the original owner before your name was on the DVLA record then I think they would be in a better position to defend themselves. I don't know how many years ago they started this recall (I first heard of it maybe two years ago)

I assume this has resulted in valve damage and not just a matter of replacing sprocket and getting bits of broken plastic out of the area. 

I have a 2015 Fiesta 1.5tdci which does not show any recall, but the use of plastic for this kind of vital parts seems worrying to me. 

1 hour ago, isetta said:

the use of plastic for this kind of vital parts seems worrying to me. 

The sprocket isn’t plastic, it’s metal, I’m not sure what the problem was with the bad batch, but I think it’s fatigue that causes the breakage in the end. @Hooky Stuff just out of interest, how many miles did the car do before this happened?

I only looked at the Etis website by chance the day after I bought my car, so I got the garage to sort it before I took delivery, all I can say seeing that picture is I’m glad I did.😵

Don't know why I thought it was plastic. I have thought that since this problem started being reported two years ago. But on reading through all of the replies on this thread there seems to be another potential problem also - see date 15 07 2018 from Typhoonf2 - as far as I can tell that picture is of the crankshaft sprocket, not camshaft sprocket.

@isetta no you’re safe there too, that’s the camshaft sprocket from a 1.6 tdci, some suffered the problem seen there. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:44 PM, Matt92 said:

The sprocket isn’t plastic, it’s metal, I’m not sure what the problem was with the bad batch, but I think it’s fatigue that causes the breakage in the end. @Hooky Stuff just out of interest, how many miles did the car do before this happened?

I only looked at the Etis website by chance the day after I bought my car, so I got the garage to sort it before I took delivery, all I can say seeing that picture is I’m glad I did.😵

The car has done 52 000 miles. I bought it from a Ford Dealer 3 years ago. I am waiting for a different dealer to let me/ Fords know the damage. 

I recently had the recall done. My Focus has done 91000 miles just lucky I guess

• 7 months later...

Hi folks, brand new to this board. So hello first of all!

I've got a 64 plate Mk3.5 Focus (2015, Feb I think). Saw this thread and immediately panicked!

Checked the Etis site and upon checking my car it shows 'No Campaign Messages Found' which did put my mind at ease somewhat but earlier in this thread, someone still needed the recall work doing despite being told they didn't. (I'm not the original owner so wouldn't have gotten written to in any event).

How accurate is that Etis message? Do I still need to be worried? And how do I check when/where the recall work was carried out? (Obviously, a small bonus will be knowing the age/mileage of the timing belt, too)

Many thanks guys 👍

Hi, if you go to your local dealership, they should be able to tell you if your car is affected by this and if it has been rectified, you can also ask them for the history of the car from ford, I did that with my car, it shows dates mileage and briefly what work was carried out and (I think) the cost.

Hope this helps

Allan

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2019 at 6:36 AM, Hooky Stuff said:

The car has done 52 000 miles. I bought it from a Ford Dealer 3 years ago. I am waiting for a different dealer to let me/ Fords know the damage. 

did you get the car done ? I never knew about recall. sprocket has now shattered and snapped the timing belt and caused all sorts of damage.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Hi I’ve a focus 1.5 tdci and to my horror the belt has snapped and the cam sprocket has broke apart has this happened with other focus and has the sprocket broke first snapping the belt or belt then sprocket my engine is a XWDB 

13A32113-7A3D-44F0-B7B4-3A998B8E6EA9.jpeg

Don’t know the answer. Can you tell us age and mileage and if recall done or showing as needed on etis?  I’d be interested to know if this is happening to cars which were not identified as needing recall as I have a 2015 1.5tdci fiesta

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club