Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie questions!

markus250

Hi,

After a few years owning MG Rovers we currently have an MGZR thats had 3 head gasket changes in the last 4 months so its time for the car to go!

We're looking at the Fiesta around year 2004-2005 shape (which mk is that???). Currently test driven a 1.4 Duratec Ghia and was very impressed so we may be going for that in the next 2 weeks.

Before we dive into this, is there anything i should pay particular attention to when looking at the car? I know MG Rover are known for head gasket problems etc and i know my old mondeo went through suspension wishbones at an alarming rate, but is there anything i should be concerned about when looking at Fiestas that have around 35k on the clock?

Also what is this Duratec engine all about? Last Ford i owned was an L-reg mondeo so things have changed a tad in the years i've been on the dark side!

Well, thats my essay for now!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Hi,

After a few years owning MG Rovers we currently have an MGZR thats had 3 head gasket changes in the last 4 months so its time for the car to go!

We're looking at the Fiesta around year 2004-2005 shape (which mk is that???). Currently test driven a 1.4 Duratec Ghia and was very impressed so we may be going for that in the next 2 weeks.

Before we dive into this, is there anything i should pay particular attention to when looking at the car? I know MG Rover are known for head gasket problems etc and i know my old mondeo went through suspension wishbones at an alarming rate, but is there anything i should be concerned about when looking at Fiestas that have around 35k on the clock?

Also what is this Duratec engine all about? Last Ford i owned was an L-reg mondeo so things have changed a tad in the years i've been on the dark side!

Well, thats my essay for now!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

MK 6.5 (face lift of MK 6) or MK 6

Changed in 52/03 plate to MK 6 and then again i believe 05/55 plate, someone may be able to give you exact dates...

MK 7 is the new current one...

If its the same duratec engine thats in the new fiestas i am VERY impressed with it. (Done over 20k miles already and no problems at all)

Hi Mark and welcome :)

I owned a 2003 Mk6 1.4 Duratec (which is the Zetec engine rebadged ;))(then to confuse things, Ford started branding their cars as Zetec too lol), did over 36K in it in 3 years

Never really impressed by the fuel economy on that engine, although other might disagree with me.

Nothing major went wrong - it had a new driver's electric window winder regulator and a new rear window when one of the elements in the heated screen packed in - both common faults i believe.

Oh and it had a change of head unit when it tried to swallow one of my CDs, also a common fault on early models i think

Good luck

:)

Hi Mark and welcome :)

I owned a 2003 Mk6 1.4 Duratec (which is the Zetec engine rebadged ;))(then to confuse things, Ford started branding their cars as Zetec too lol), did over 36K in it in 3 years

Never really impressed by the fuel economy on that engine, although other might disagree with me.

Nothing major went wrong - it had a new driver's electric window winder regulator and a new rear window when one of the elements in the heated screen packed in - both common faults i believe.

Oh and it had a change of head unit when it tried to swallow one of my CDs, also a common fault on early models i think

Good luck

:)

I get 43 MPG and do about 75~80 on the motorway...

I get 43 MPG and do about 75~80 on the motorway...

Cheers for all the info so far guys.

Its gotta be more fuel economical than the MGZR we drive at the moment which is in need of a new cat (current one clogged up and broken up!) and also with an external leak from the head gasket. We are finding we're having to boot the right foot down just to drive normally! The garage we're looking at the fiesta are offering a decent part ex price (well, decent considering the faults!) so we're hoping to get rid asap.

I understand the engine is 79bhp? Is there an easy way to increase this as on the MG engines its as simple as replaceing the throttle body for an unrestricted one giving 105bhp rather than the standard 83bhp.

Cheers,

Mark

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club