Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 tdci power loss help please

richmuaythai86
聽Share

Hi all. I have a mk2 1.6tdci 2005. Owned for just over a year and have spent the best part of 2k in servicing/repairs 馃(should of listened to the wife聽and got rid) oh well! A聽major one was a new turbo in December.聽

It seems to have a fault that I've looked all over the internet for answers but no luck and I feel if I take it back to the garage I'll get fobbed off again!聽

The problem is it seems to loose power,聽say in 4th between聽3000-4000rpm. It's not a total loss but as聽if something hits a wall then holds聽it back. If I'm driving around town mainly in 1-3rd it's fine (smokes alot though) then if I were to put my foot down 4th onwards the problem appears(can feel the power disappear)聽then the remaining聽of the drive it will feel underpowered in all gears.聽

There is also a ticking noise which appears when warm.

I pulled over yesterday turned the car off then on and the power was mysteriously back?!聽

Any help would be appreciated and聽I apologise for the poor description 馃榿

Rich

1 hour ago, richmuaythai86 said:

if I were to put my foot down 4th onwards the problem appears(can feel the power disappear)聽then the remaining聽of the drive it will feel underpowered in all gears.聽

It sounds a bit like the limp mode that these cars are prone to going into. But a warning light should be on in that case. Check that all the lights come on when turning on the ignition. There have been cases where lights are tampered with to hide problems.

Also a diagnostic system might help. Sometimes it can reveal faults that are present without the EML (warning light) being on. The most powerful diy system is Forscan, but it is not the easiest to use. But any decent OBD2 scanner will pick up most engine related codes.

Smoke and lack of power could be the EGR valve jammed part open, or the throttle valve not opening fully.

Thank you for your reply. I've ordered a egr blanking plate to see if that makes any difference.

All the lights come on as they should. I had it tested last month with no faults found other than a turbo pipe with a hole in it which they replaced. Then a week later I had to have it towed as the camshaft sensor and starter motor went 馃槂 boo.聽

Rich

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club