Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP!

WAZ91

Hi all, some back story first.

Focus 1.8TDCI 124K on the clock 57 plate. In for cambelt on Friday all was good. Saturday however the cambelt snaps after only 10miles. recovered straight back to the garage who today have told me the fuel pump seized which caused the belt to snap and apparently this is an issue affecting these cars. he said there was a recall in the states but not here.

I'm a bit in limbo right now, trying to book a independent inspection for a second opinion.

Does anyone know if the fuel pump seizing is an issue?

2 minutes ago, stratoc said:

cant understand how a fuel pump can break a cam belt? Get that second opinion.

I don't believe that the fuel pump has seized up but if it genuinely has then it could snap the belt no problem. 

Get the covers off and see if the fuel pump spins. 

I'm sure that the outer cam belt does not run the fuel pump on this engine. The pump is run by either a chain setup <2008 or a wet belt set up 2008> that is behind the cam belt and should have been changed at the same time as the outer belt. Ford recommend 120K or 10 years but they are known to fail as early as 90K, lots of people get caught out by this when changing the belt thinking there is only one to change on these engines.  

Could still be a 2008 engine if that's the change over time. 

The cambelt drives the camshaft from the fuel pump. The belt or chain drives the fuel pump. 

Inspection is booked in. the car is a 57 plate but 08 build. they have said the cam belt runs the fuel pump which when seized stripped the belt.

3 hours ago, WAZ91 said:

they have said the cam belt runs the fuel pump

That is simply untrue. As other contributors have stated the fuel pump is driven from the crankshaft by a duplex chain in early engines and a wet belt in later ones. The cambelt runs from an extension on the fuel pump shaft. If the fuel pump siezed it would break the chain or wet belt NOT the cambelt.

Unless they are calling the wet belt a 'cambelt' they don't know what they're talking about.

Hmm..... well inspection should hopefully clear things up and come back in my favour.

Picking up an 03 focus 1.6 petrol estate later on today. Dog of a car but it's to keep me going  :laugh:

This is the only exterior damage I had when I broke down. this is the cam belt housing I believe?

MY CAR.jpg

Where did you have the work done?

Cant really say at the mo, just in case I need to take things further but it was a local reputable garage

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club