Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spraying inside of headlights ?

Patrico777

Hi I want to spray my headlights inside black any1 got tutorial how to do it ???

IMG_7243.JPG

I've seen such a tutorial. can't remember where., but it involves baking your headlight in the oven to loosen the glue used to fix the lense to the casing.

I've seen a few guides, not for the fez but the principle is the same. You need to put the headlight in the oven at 190 for 20 mins. When it comes out the glue should be soft and you will be able to open the unit, then you have to carefully mask up where you don't want tinted. Then once done you will need to remove the old glue and clean all the bits you are gluing with some rubbing alcohol. Then replace the glue and stick the unit together, then carefully using a clamp hold the unit together - you may need 3. Let the glue cure for 24hrs and then replace. If you don't seal them properly though they will let in moisture and you will get condensation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kossofffan said:

Have them wrapped with a tint?

I might be totally wrong on this but isn't tinting headlights illegal and may not pas the MOT I'm not sure about fly eye though. But I think Patrick wants the Black headlight ST Mk 2 look like mine where the inside is black not silver.I do think though like Karl46 said you have to warm 'em up in the oven to loosen the glue to separate the glass from the rest.You could try some one like err. http://sjconversions.co.uk/  ( a little over the top for some what they do) who may be able to do this for you and other mods too. I really would like the devil eyes they do but that's just me.

• Like 1

I dont want to wrap them i want to paint inside they already been detango what do I use to reseal them and which paint is best and what als I need 

IMG_7595.PNG

1 hour ago, kossofffan said:

Have them wrapped with a tint?

Like fly eye ??? Or ?

Just checked the headlight tint does not look bad what kind of percentage I need ? Is it legal?

I think @Gizza11 might be right when he said it's an MOT fail.ip I don't think you are allowed to put any tint on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

I think @Gizza11 might be right when he said it's an MOT fail.ip I don't think you are allowed to put any tint on.

Ah so best way is to split them and spray them what product to use to reseal?

Ah so best way is to split them and spray them what product to use to reseal?

Taking the unit apart is the only way to get a replica of the picture you posted. If this is the first time you have done something like this then remember to make sure the reflector surfaces are not tinted or they won't do their job.

I would use something like this Original BUTYL RUBBER GLUE HEADLIGHT SEALANT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017J0VWI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_THdtzb7YSFSBH I would stay away from using a silicone based sealant as it is only designed to seal and not to bond two surfaces together. If you have taken it slowly when separating the unit you may be able to reheat the original glue and reuse it and clamp tightly.

When separating, the oven temp should be 220degrees not 190. I think 5-10 mins is also enough time, you can put them back in if the glue hasn't melted properly.

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Taking the unit apart is the only way to get a replica of the picture you posted. If this is the first time you have done something like this then remember to make sure the reflector surfaces are not tinted or they won't do their job.

I would use something like this Original BUTYL RUBBER GLUE HEADLIGHT SEALANT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017J0VWI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_THdtzb7YSFSBH I would stay away from using a silicone based sealant as it is only designed to seal and not to bond two surfaces together. If you have taken it slowly when separating the unit you may be able to reheat the original glue and reuse it and clamp tightly.

When separating, the oven temp should be 220degrees not 190. I think 5-10 mins is also enough time, you can put them back in if the glue hasn't melted properly.

That stuff u send on amazon looks decent, also would i be able to use hairdryer doesnt feel good to put them in oven lol

People have used hairdryers in the past but it's not ideal, it doesn't heat the glue up enough to enable the unit to dismantle easily. A hairdryer only heats a small area too so you have to go around the unit heating it and opening it, by the time you get all the way around the bit you first did is likely to start sticking again. I understand your concerns about using the oven but it is honestly fine and safe. The unit won't suffer any damage as long as you don't leave it in for too long and it won't taint the oven at all so it's safe to cook with as usual. I wouldn't advise putting your pizza in with the unit though [emoji87] you could try using a heat gun with a variable temp, that would be better than a hairdryer.

can you not just buy aftermarket headlight units with the internal housings in black ?

if you wreck your existing headlights trying to bake them open , or fail to reseal them properly , or simply dont like the finished paint job , then you'll end up having to replace them anyway

theres alot to go wrong with this kinda mod ...........

• Like 1

can you not just buy aftermarket headlight units with the internal housings in black ?
if you wreck your existing headlights trying to bake them open , or fail to reseal them properly , or simply dont like the finished paint job , then you'll end up having to replace them anyway
theres alot to go wrong with this kinda mod ...........

A very good point!

Just go around them using a hairdryer and trim removal tools. Take your time and be gentle. I've done this successfully with Mk7 Fiesta headlights

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2017 at 8:51 PM, CREED said:

Just go around them using a hairdryer and trim removal tools. Take your time and be gentle. I've done this successfully with Mk7 Fiesta headlights

are there any clips to be worried about like sneaky clips you might break off on a mk7

It's not illegal but the tint must not dim the light emitted by more than 50% otherwise it's an MOT fail.