Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 mystery plug...

Phil21185

Mmmmk. So. In taking the passenger footwell side panel off to wire in an illuminated gear knob, I discover an empty socket and a foam-wrapped plug which apparently will fit it but isn't plugged in.

All the wires are there in both plug and socket so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck it's for??!20170621_201954.thumb.jpg.b83ec2da70dc01e83d9c4d8fffac49c3.jpg

The red and black socket here is at the front of the passenger footwell.

20170621_201958.thumb.jpg.f14370cd366b878e57010b458ebfc295.jpg

And this little chap is completely encased in very sticky foam.  Ford definitely did not want me plugging that in, but I'd like to have an idea what it does before I do =]]

plug it in and lets find out what it does :w00t:

Usually I would, but I've got to keep this car working properly for another 4 years! :biggrin:

Chances are whatever it connects would then have to be enabled in the ccc so I'd still be guessing..

Does anyone have a clue? The loom from the plug seems to go up to or behind the radio, but then so do they all...

was hopeing you was gonna say you had plugged it in lol, must be something you don`t have on the car or it would be in use (reverse camera etc) :w00t:

Power for ambient lighting? 

yeah I'm thinking lane sensors or something.  I think reverse camera plugs directly into the back of the MFD (apart from 12v) so I dont think its that.  Looks like 4 wires...

EDIT: thanks Ryan but ambients are working in mine. Though I dont have colour changers but I would guess that would be a change in the existing loom, not a separate one...

7 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

yeah I'm thinking lane sensors or something.  I think reverse camera plugs directly into the back of the MFD (apart from 12v) so I dont think its that.  Looks like 4 wires...

EDIT: thanks Ryan but ambients are working in mine. Though I dont have colour changers but I would guess that would be a change in the existing loom, not a separate one...

I'll see what I can dig out of the Haynes manual when I get up this afternoon have you got another picture showing the wider area so I can look it up easier 

I haven't at the moment but I'll nab one later =) 

Thanks

i shall have a look at mine later and see if theres a plug as well.

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

i shall have a look at mine later and see if theres a plug as well.

Thanks Ian, would be much appreciated.  When I take a look again later I'll grab the wire colours too.  I might even test the resistances on the off chance...

I have an illuminated gear knob waiting to be fitted. Did you find the wiring ok? I had a quick look and couldn't find the plug,that was supposed to be there, my bad back stopped me looking any further.

unplugged mine and instrument cluster died, also radio display went off.

Based on the pictures I suspect these connectors to be the C23G and C23H connectors.

As far as I can see this connector is involved in the follwing functionality:

* Original rear view camera supply.

* Blind spot detection system supply.

* Radio supply.

* Hazard switch supply.

* Subwoofer wiring.

And probably some other functionality.

interesting.  Graham - no I didnt - I had to splice into other wiring,  Theres a thread over on focus fanatics which details to wires used, but the wires I used I mentioned in my build thread.

Ian and Wilco, thanks for input.  I don't have rear camera, subwoofer or blind spot detection, but my radio and hazards work fine without it plugged in.  Perhaps Andy had it right after all.

I'm pretty sure mine only has 4 wires though, Ian your pic looks like it has 5.  What have you got that I don't :biggrin:?

Didnt get chance to take a pic but I will do.

Actually, comparing the two pics, you seem to have fewer wires in the other loom than I do...

could to with a wiring diagram for them...

your larger connector is wired differently also.