Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction Warning

Focus Newbie

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice please.

Had my 2010 1.6 TDCI Focus for around 6 months, it had its 6,000 mile service a few months back at local Ford dealer, probably done around 55,000 miles.  This morning, within about 2 minutes of leaving the house I had a Engine Malfunction Warning flash up on the led information panel (which puckered up my b*m hole a bit). I dont know if any alarm went off as I had music on, and I honestly didn't even think to check if any of the lights were on. Pulled over, turned off the car, restarted and it was fine - drove the 30 minute journey to work with no issues. Had a look online and saw the dashboard diagnostic trick, so tried that an no DTC codes logged (and no warning lights on either). I'll see if it happens again on the way home, but just wondering if any of the more experienced guys (compared to me) would know what this might be. Have booked into Ford for Tuesday (which is going to pucker up my b*m hole again when I get the bill)

I tend not to take too much notice of the engine malfunction light, if the light goes out when you restart the engine, no problem. It's only when the  light stays on persistently you need to worry.

Had this last week on the wifes Astra, she in her wisdom went direct to a Vauxhall dealer who plugged it in and no faults found, they did mention that the control module failed to recognise a Lambda sensor.

I have also had this on a Vauxhall Vectra, a Peugeot 207, a Skoda Octavia and Fabia. the light never came back on again..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Focus Newbie said:

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice please.

Had my 2010 1.6 TDCI Focus for around 6 months, it had its 6,000 mile service a few months back at local Ford dealer, probably done around 55,000 miles.  This morning, within about 2 minutes of leaving the house I had a Engine Malfunction Warning flash up on the led information panel (which puckered up my b*m hole a bit). I dont know if any alarm went off as I had music on, and I honestly didn't even think to check if any of the lights were on. Pulled over, turned off the car, restarted and it was fine - drove the 30 minute journey to work with no issues. Had a look online and saw the dashboard diagnostic trick, so tried that an no DTC codes logged (and no warning lights on either). I'll see if it happens again on the way home, but just wondering if any of the more experienced guys (compared to me) would know what this might be. Have booked into Ford for Tuesday (which is going to pucker up my b*m hole again when I get the bill)

Have the same car and mine did this too.  Restarted both times and it was back to normal.  Hasn't done it since.  Probably a glitch :thumbup1:

2 hours ago, Devonboy said:

I tend not to take too much notice of the engine malfunction light, if the light goes out when you restart the engine, no problem. It's only when the  light stays on persistently you need to worry.

I second that ^^^

Except to say that, its on for a reason, which can turn in to a world of hurt if ignored. 

intermittent faults, regardless of how small, shouldn't be overly worried about, certainly not a "take to the dealership ASAP and prepare to get bent over" situation but they shouldn't be ignored either.

big problems usually start off as small problems,  its wise to keep an eye on stuff and see what that little light is really saying.

If your car has a dpf then it could be the eolys fluid that needs topped up,it goes into a reservoir next to tank underneath at back of car
My mk2 2.0 tdci done same after I filled it up wi the fuel....

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

On 2017-6-23 at 8:40 PM, Sparky1973 said:

If your car has a dpf then it could be the eolys fluid that needs topped up,it goes into a reservoir next to tank underneath at back of car
My mk2 2.0 tdci done same after I filled it up wi the fuel....

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

This also happened to me yesterday so ordered the fluid that should be with me on Thursday, Just after I had filled up as well .

Engine Malfunction on a 1.6TDCi 16 valve... Been there and then lost my engine a few months later to a spectacular engine run away.

Get it onto Forscan as that will pull all the information out that you need as these engines are so fragile if not looked after correctly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I was on my way to work from a client with my Ford Focus ST 2011 2.5L. I got to fifth gear at about 160 Km/h and I had no acceleration control or anything, I pulled over to the side of the road and the car was still idling struggled to switch of the motor with push start button once I got it off it would not start again, as soon as it stated to give that problem it also said ENGINE MAILFUNCTION. I took the positive terminal of the battery to reset everything and tried to start my car again and then it said that it has a TRANSMISION MAILFUNCTION.

I not sure what it could be, if anyone can be of assistance I would really appreciate it.

• 2 years later...

I have just had this happen again and realised I didn’t update on the original thread. So the problem back in 2017 kept getting progressively worse - the malfunction light kept coming on more often and eventually always came on. Local garage said it was the turbo about to go bye bye. Took it to Ford and it was a problem with a solenoid. Not sure what the issue is this time but worth taking it to Ford if the problem keeps happening - if I’d listened to the local garage I’d have been shelling out for a new turbo

3 hours ago, Focus Newbie said:

I have just had this happen again and realised I didn’t update on the original thread. So the problem back in 2017 kept getting progressively worse - the malfunction light kept coming on more often and eventually always came on. Local garage said it was the turbo about to go bye bye. Took it to Ford and it was a problem with a solenoid. Not sure what the issue is this time but worth taking it to Ford if the problem keeps happening - if I’d listened to the local garage I’d have been shelling out for a new turbo

Yes the boost solenoid the same thing happened to me and was fixed with £10 solenoid from the scrap yard.