Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake pad shims? Will they cure my rattle?

spaceprobe

Hi all,

Focus Mk2, 1.8 TDCi Ghia (How do I know if I might have a Mk2.5?)

Got an awful dull metallic rattling from the rear drivers side, seems to go away when I brake, doesn't occur with large bumps - mostly just on rough or uneven surfaces, VERY audible from outside the car (people on the street turn to look - embarrassing!).

I've secured the heat sheilding and it's not the exhaust - seems to come from the wheel area. I suspect caliper or brake pad rattle, although I can't move anything with my hand when the wheel is off.

Couple of questions...

Anyone had and solved something similar?

Could it be shock absorber or top mount (ex-Ford tech suggested this)?

Should my brake pads have anti-rattle shims? Doesn't have them at the moment (I've disassembled the caliper, cleaned, greased and refitted - no difference, or seems to be getting worse.) Do I need these shims, pic attached (or something similar).

The caliper retainer spring/clip thinggies were seized in and I suspect the last time the brake pads were replaced (not by me) it was just bent out of the way and bent back again afterwards. Should I replace the spring clips - could it be that?

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Sam.

shims.jpg

1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Update on this topic in case it helps anyone in future.

VERY very loud rattle from rear wheel area was cured by replacing the caliper guide pins and rubber boots/bushes.

Bought and fitted a "Brake Accessory Kit" by Pagid (£20-ish, see pics). It comprises 4 off the following:

• caliper guide pins
• rubber boots/bushes
• caps to close up the ends of the rubber boots

and 2 off sachets of white high temp grease 

Quite easy, you need a 7mm Allen key to get the old pins out and a 40T torx to put the new ones in.

The old pins were very probably perfectly good, but I replaced them any way. The old rubber boot/bushes were the issue - not doing their jobs because they were hard and powdery. They were a bit difficult to get out but I just went at them with a screwdriver, trying not to damage the bore they sit in. Cleaned up the bores and general area and the new ones popped in quite easily after I lubed them up with a tiny bit of the white grease.

Head-turning rattle gone.

Replacing the carrier retainer springs (previous post), cured a lot of the rattle, so a combination of good retainer springs and good condition rubber/bushes and guide pins is what it needed.

1499681748849-e1ae0bc1-59f5-4b4b-8cc3-f14a077a8d92.jpg

1499681918878-219c83d6-4ab3-4c9b-a7f1-24c9c9cee24e.jpg

• 4 years later...

Thank you so much man! Glad to see someone follow up on what they have done!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club