Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Is this a red light camera?

Debil321

After years of complaing that i'm extreamly isolated and i would sometimes like to leave the workplace (i live at the job site in the middle of no where) my boss finally bought me a car. Literally first time i went out i crossed the road on a red light... It's been years since i last touched a car...

I am more than capable of facing the legal responsabilities but i am no where near capable of seeing my bosses face when he finds out. (The car is on his name, he just put me on as a driver)

I went on google maps and i took 2 screenshots of the cameras. Are they red light cameras or something else?

Ps. The roundish one was at the intersection and the sqareish one was on the road to my left where i turned in.

Sorry for my english and thanks a ton

Screenshot_2017-06-25-21-19-10-866_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Sorry can't seem to be able to upload two pictures in the same post

Screenshot_2017-06-25-21-18-55-221_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

The top one is a sensor that monitors people crossing the road as well as traffic.  Not seen the bottom camera type before but I'd imagine it is a sensor as well.  Traffic enforcement cameras tend to be bigger and grey or painted yellow.

• Like 1

The bottom one is a CCTV camera IIRC, and the top is just a person monitoring sensor (for crossings).

• Like 1

The bottom one is a CCTV camera IIRC, and the top is just a person monitoring sensor (for crossings).

Exactly that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

By law after a certain date (cannot remember which) all gatso, truvelo, red light cameras need to be clearly visible by yellow or fluorescent green or yellow paint.

As stated, the first is a pedestrian camera helping the timings for the crossing and the second is CCTV (probably due to traffic issues at that junction).

Gatso :-

New shape Gatso :-

Truvelo :-

Red Light:-

Image result for red light camera uk

Average Speed :-

Obviously there are some newer versions which differ slightly but you get the gist.

• Like 1

Not entirely true that speed cameras need to be visible. There was a law change that meant they actually don't have to be visible. This is why you have cameras hidden in the gantries on the M25 Heathrow section (HADECS2). But even more the reason that there's a new type of camera that is hidden at the roadside Sussex/Kent stretch of the M25. Search HADECS3.

Some are yellow. Many are not.

I thought with yellow ones payment went to the local police/council and grey ones go to central government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

48 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Not entirely true that speed cameras need to be visible. There was a law change that meant they actually don't have to be visible. This is why you have cameras hidden in the gantries on the M25 Heathrow section (HADECS2). But even more the reason that there's a new type of camera that is hidden at the roadside Sussex/Kent stretch of the M25. Search HADECS3.

Some are yellow. Many are not.

They're not hidden thats just the best place to put them!

A pal i play footy with works for the Highways Agency and they are a proper little money earner by Heathrow.

As long as the Speed Camera sign is displayed (which it is) then they're golden!

Either way we should all be abiding by the speed limits set! :laugh:

You don't require speed camera signs, and iirc you don't need them yellow either. Some red light cameras also detect speed on green. I think the new ones on the M5 are yellow but they do 4 lanes with one camera :tongue:

The best approach to not getting caught is to not speed............ :ph34r:

All money from police tickets goes to the treasury iirc, none actually goes to the speed camera partnerships (as demonstrated by the West Midlands turning their cameras off because it was costing too much!).

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, JamesMalin said:

They're not hidden thats just the best place to put them!

Either way we should all be abiding by the speed limits set! :laugh:

Unfortunately they are hidden.  One set, around the A22, even seems to be physically hidden behind a sign and a bush at the side of the road!  I believe some are even grey.

And I agree with the point about not speeding.  However,  I am left to question the motivation of a 'deterrent' if nobody can see it.  The whole issue then starts becoming more one of extracting money because you won't be deterred from speeding at a site if you believe there to be no cameras!

8 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Unfortunately they are hidden.  One set, around the A22, even seems to be physically hidden behind a sign and a bush at the side of the road!  I believe some are even grey.

And I agree with the point about not speeding.  However,  I am left to question the motivation of a 'deterrent' if nobody can see it.  The whole issue then starts becoming more one of extracting money because you won't be deterred from speeding at a site if you believe there to be no cameras!

But you shouldn't speed anyway, so that should be the deterrent, that cameras might be anywhere.

People do quote the "money" reason a lot, but only the treasury get the fines from tickets - only part of the speed awareness courses afaik get given to local plod.

1 hour ago, Micro said:

But you shouldn't speed anyway, so that should be the deterrent, that cameras might be anywhere.

People do quote the "money" reason a lot, but only the treasury get the fines from tickets - only part of the speed awareness courses afaik get given to local plod.

Speed cameras are, in the UK, deployed at sites where there's an increased risk. They are treated as a visible deterrent and this has a significant localised effect on speed. If a camera is hidden, it might be many months or even years before enough drivers work out there's a camera present and until then, the speed vehicles travel at doesn't drop. In this instance, you can't claim a camera is there for safety. It's a money grabbing device because it is not making a site any safer.

Take France for example. They adopt the methodology you condone and even hide cameras in litter bins at the side of the road. Yet they have a road death rate almost twice that of the UK's. Stealth cameras, as a tool for cutting people's speed, simply doesn't work in achieving the primary aim.

And I'm aware that the government gets the money. I personally think it should go towards local hospitals or even the local plod.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Chicago the dang things actually flash like a traditional camera so you know you're screwed. They're obviously digital cameras because you get an email the following day with a video of whatever you did so you can't argue that the light was yellow when you went into the intersection, the flash is just a nice artistic touch. 

One flash for every car that runs the light.  The most I've seen at once was 3.  It was a very bad neighborhood, the 4700 block of South Western Avenue, someone had just been shot in the face there two weeks earlier while waiting at  a stop light.  Not sure what was going on, but we left as quickly as possible.  Chicago is an...interesting place :)