Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dashcam/cigerette plug

bigdom

hi i have a 5 to 6 year old fiesta 1.25psi. i have a dash cam but when plugged in cigerette plug is allways live so the dash cam wont go of even in auto switch of mode ,dose anyone know how to remedy this , ie ive heard you can change the fuze over ,not sure on that or would have to change wires over to accesories.has anyone done this , seemingly all fords are live lighterplug , and i dont want to leave cam on all night .

I'm looking into getting one myself,my local Halfords are so busy they can't fit mine at the moment but they said if I buy one and use the sig lighter I can come back and have it hard wired yo the fuse box if I wanted too. Having the cam straight to the fuse box is the best way,no dangling wires and you haven't got to touch the cam except for changeing the settings 

Just pull the plug out of the cigarette lighter socket.   Saves a lot of bother.

• Like 1

bobr thats not the kind of answer im looking for ,im after serious answers only not wise cracks .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigdom said:

hi i have a 5 to 6 year old fiesta 1.25psi. i have a dash cam but when plugged in cigerette plug is allways live so the dash cam wont go of even in auto switch of mode ,dose anyone know how to remedy this , ie ive heard you can change the fuze over ,not sure on that or would have to change wires over to accesories.has anyone done this , seemingly all fords are live lighterplug , and i dont want to leave cam on all night .

Are you sure it stays live all the time? My owners manual says it stays live for 30 minutes. Mine actually seems to stay live for a bit less. 

If it is live all the time then the easiest fix is to buy a dash cam power loom off eBay. Mine was about £6 and I wired it to the rear window wiper. It's now only on when the car ignition is on and the wiring is completely hidden under the headlining and A piller plastic. 

54 minutes ago, bigdom said:

bobr thats not the kind of answer im looking for ,im after serious answers only not wise cracks .

Not a wise crack, I'm serious.   That's what I do.

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

Just pull the plug out of the cigarette lighter socket.   Saves a lot of bother.

That's exactly what I do, its no wisecrack. You can get USB cigar lighter adaptors with a switch, so you can just press a button, but ive never bothered because pulling the connector 1/4" out of the socket isn't exactly onerous.

• Like 1

I take it this the the cig lighter in the centre console? Mine turns off with the ignition (or at least when the door opens). Best bet is just to hardwire the camera into a piggyback in the fuse box behind the glovebox. Much easiser, cleaner and frees up the cigarette lighter for something else.

Mine only powers on/off with the ignition. I checked the manual for the camera and I can change the settings for how long it stays on without the power from the cigarette lighter 

Buy the nextbase hardwire kit. It's really easy to do and it's to a fuse that only turns on with the ignition (reverse light I think I used) 

The 12v socket stays live for about an hour, give or take. You can do exactly what @Bobr says and pull the plug out every time and then hope you remember to turn it back on again. Or do what @Lukew1985 said and hardware it in using a piggy back fuse, that's what I have done you just need to pick a switched live fuse. Or, if you have forscan you can change the length of time the socket stays live after the engine is turned off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1