Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk3 Focus Ecoboost 1.0 125 Mods advice request

Stodgey

Hi guys. - apologies if this has been already asked, I have searched the forum and spent the best part of an hour flicking through topics on this section....

I've recently picked up a 1.0 125 ecoboost zetec and I'm starting to look into the mods that I can get for it.

So far im looking into the bluefin remap, airtek intercooler, turbosmart dual port valve and a replacement air filter (either itg or pipercross) im reluctant to look at induction kits as they sound horiffic and im looking for more of an understated build.....

With that said, Im looking around for a replacement exhaust, now i know Milltek sell sports exhausts for the Fiesta, but I cant seem to find anyone who makes them for the Focus...

Are there any about (looking for cat back ideally)? or is it a case of popping to my local Longlife centre for a custom s/s exhaust (luckily theres one about 15 miles from my house and have used them before for my old focus)

Many thanks in advance.

There are zero exhausts for the 1.0 ecoboost.

Longlife for a custom is your best bet.

I'd hold out for a Zetec-S or ST rear spoiler and then get a dual exit custom exhaust for the look.

BlueFin is good but will you really see the benefit from the airtek intercooler and turbosmart dual port valve? I'm not convinced!

Rear view mirror autolight and auto rain wipers is a good mod as well as ambient lighting which are both found on the Titanium.

Wind deflectors help for letting cool air in while not getting blown left right and center. ClimAir or HEKO are both good.

I too miss my Titanium extras now i've got a zetec!

Plenty of people will have an opinion and help out on here though so you're in the right place!

• Like 2

Looking at the Airtek website, they claim an extra 15hp from the intercooler apparently, figured when added to the remap (+31), air filter (+1 :laugh: ) and exhaust (+ another 1 :biggrin:)  i should be at 175bhp-ish which isnt to be scoffed at for a 1.0.

The bov was for throttle response nothing else, I know it has a recirc valve fitted as standard but its reported that they have a more flimsy diaphragm than the turbosmart plus with the dual port it can release the pressure faster at full boost. (not that full boost on that tiny borg warner is alot, admittedly :tongue:)

I think ill look at longlife, they did stirling work for me before, plus I can pick a more modest note for the car as Its still gonna be a daily driver and I'm not a 17yo boy racer anymore....

• Like 2

Same here.

I went for the 1.0 EcoBoost as a proper grown up car and now i see mod's left right and center! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grown up car was the 2010 2.0tdci 163bhp mondeo zetec estate auto.... the size was superb, but it took the fun out of driving...

picked up the focus a month ago and I actually WANT to drive it all the time. Its so much fun! Hence looking at ways to make it more fun...😂

• Like 1

I hear that!

You may also want to get sill protectors too, illuminated gear knob and led's bulbs as and where you can too.

• Like 1

Yah, and some bullet shape valve caps, furry dice (pink of course) and a stereo system worth more than the us national debt.....

oh and lets not forget RS mudflaps as they add at least 45bhp!

😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Stodgey said:

Yah, and some bullet shape valve caps, furry dice (pink of course) and a stereo system worth more than the us national debt.....

oh and lets not forget RS mudflaps as they add at least 45bhp!

😂😂😂

Sill protectors will protect the sill from scuffs and damage.

The illuminated gear knob is from a titanium.

The LED Bulbs work better than the standard ford ones.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion. The 1.0 engine is small to push too far with engine mods. You can upgrade the look. Don't push the engine too much. You dont have cc for development. That's my opinion always. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, D!str0 said:

In my humble opinion. The 1.0 engine is small to push too far with engine mods. You can upgrade the look. Don't push the engine too much. You dont have cc for development. That's my opinion always. 

These small engines are already over clocked.

They are rated for alot higher bhp than they produce standard, ford themselves have had circa 240bhp out of one in the factory, I have read that the gearbox and clutch are used in the ST so are overengineered for the 1.0. And due to the cast iron materials used, the engine in theory should (SHOULD) be "bombproof" and more than capable of handling the power step up,

A Pumaspeed staff member has a 1.0 fiesta running 205bhp comfortably. think it was featured in a mag recently and dubbbed the tiny titan?

EDIT: found the link

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/viewadvice.jsp?newsID=111

16 hours ago, JamesMalin said:

Sill protectors will protect the sill from scuffs and damage.

The illuminated gear knob is from a titanium.

The LED bulbs work better than the standard ford ones.

aaah, didnt realise the titanium had that gearknob, i thought with the light up knob, led lights and what not that you were having a little joke.

Apologies good sir!

• 2 months later...

Update. K&N replacement box filter fitted (didnt want an induction kit as they sound horrific) and Bluefin Remap acquired... #### me its quick now! honestly pulls faster than my 2.0 163bhp diesel mondeo did. 2nd gear pulls like its in 1st right up to 60, 3rd gear pulls like 2nd gear up to 80 its amazing the difference the remap makes. had the bluefin from Peregrine Tuning in mid Wales, I'd reccomend them to anyone.

Turbosmart Dual port BOV next and then perhaps a S/S longlife exhaust (wife's permission pending tongue.png )

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've got a BlueFin and although i am impressed with the 3rd gear pull for overtaking when needed i'm not as happy as i thought i'd be.

Especially as it claims to improve mpg but even when driving normally i only get 40mpg to a tank whereas i was getting 50mpg.

I wanted a rear engine mount but Mountune state it's only fr the 1.6 EcoBoost and not the 1.0 EcoBoost which is a tad annoying.

I still get a bit of suspension engine vibration when pulling away quickly.

New Eibach springs are ordered too which i hope will aid handling as well as stance.

Has anyone done any other mods to their 1.0 EcoBoost Focus?

• 5 months later...

Having fitted the BlueFin to my Focus 1.0 ecoboost ( + K&N filter ) , I totally agree with you about the transformation .All I can add is that running it on 97 RON petrol does seem to smooth it out quite a lot with better throttle response . I don`t do a lot of miles so it`s not an expensive option for me though. 

Mine has the appearance pack ( on a Zetec ) so it has nice 17`s already on it , but thinking about going up to 18`s to ( maybe ) help handling and turn-in a bit . Possible lowering it by 30 mm for appearance and slight handling improvement , but it handles so well anyway that I may not bother.

BlueFin do say that they`ve taken that engine up to 200 bhp without problems , so I agree about it being tough . Just the clutch worries me a bit so I go easy on fast take-offs and avoid dumping the clutch.

I`d love cruise control on it which I do miss from my previous car. Can they be fitted after-market ? 

• 10 months later...

Quite a while back your talked about this, but I own a 15 plate 1.0L zetec focus. installed induction hoses, K&N filter, dual blow out valve, hard pipe and a crossover pipe. it looks amazing but just today I re installed all stock parts back in place except from the filter and blow out valve. and honestly the car feels so much smoother and I really couldn't say its slower. The blow out valve isn't loud anymore though and I can't get my idle in place no matter how many times I adjust the BOV. (had the same problem even with the upgrade kit). I will probably return to all the upgrade but I was thinking to buy an intercooler before I do. Anyone who has bought a BOV have the idle problem I do, and also the hissing sound was very loud but after 5 minutes of driving it wouldn't be so much, it would just be a whissling sound. And what Remap would you recommend, because there is Revo and bluefin? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, JamesMalin said:

Same here.

I went for the 1.0 EcoBoost as a proper grown up car and now i see mod's left right and center! :laugh:

I’ve not long picked up my focus (apologies for resurrection of this post)

got mine as a grown up car but now search for mods! But first need to have this brakes squeal and most importantly, get the random engine malfunction service now fault 

If you're only going to buy a bluefin then don't waste your money on an intercooler, you only need these if you want 170BHP plus with a bigger turbo (and if you want that much, buy a car with bigger engine)

A nice custom exhaust with a K&N element and a bluefin will see you just over 150BHP, don't waste your money on super unleaded either, just don't use supermarket fuel.

• 9 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, H1ghlander1977 said:

I’ve not long picked up my focus (apologies for resurrection of this post)

got mine as a grown up car but now search for mods! But first need to have this brakes squeal and most importantly, get the random engine malfunction service now fault 

You will find that is the turbo putting out too much boost. Does the engine go a bit sluggish as this is a safety feature. Could be a sticky actuator or turbo is on way out