Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curtain Airbag recall

Allan37

Hi all, my first post, Ive had my Ford Edge Sport 5 months and love the car. Last week i got a letter from ford that my car has to have the curtain airbags replaced, now having worked in a body shop i knew this prob wont be straight forward as the roof lining and all side trims etc have to be removed. Now the car went into fords today for the work and it was immaculate when it went in and now i have black marks all over the roof lining, sun visors, side trims, broken clips on the side trims and cross threaded screws, I'm so disappointed as it doesn't even look like they have cleaned the car after. I detail cars for a living which makes it worse as I'm so particular about everything.

Has anyone else had this recall on there edge.

Allan

55 minutes ago, Allan37 said:

Hi all, my first post, Ive had my Ford Edge Sport 5 months and love the car. Last week i got a letter from ford that my car has to have the curtain airbags replaced, now having worked in a body shop i knew this prob wont be straight forward as the roof lining and all side trims etc have to be removed. Now the car went into fords today for the work and it was immaculate when it went in and now i have black marks all over the roof lining, sun visors, side trims, broken clips on the side trims and cross threaded screws, I'm so disappointed as it doesn't even look like they have cleaned the car after. I detail cars for a living which makes it worse as I'm so particular about everything.

Has anyone else had this recall on there edge.

Allan

Yup. I had mine done last week. It's a 3.3 hour job apparently. I also gave them a list of minor niggles to fix.

I assume they did the airbags, they did nothing else and had the car for two days.

Apparently the service manager was going to ring me today..........hang on, today's almost over!

Car was clean but I'm no more impressed than you.

Yep same here as Kelvin, car was in for 2 days, air bags replaced they told me but none of the other minor jobs (auto relock & wind noise from drivers window) were sorted. They must have done something with the air bags though as although the car had been cleaned the windscreen was filthy around the edges. The roof lining trim & side panels appear to have survived unscathed but i'll prob find out one day the clips were damaged!

I think I have tried to call the service centre 5 times over the last week to discuss the unfinished jobs, I haven't got through on one occasion & they are yet to call me back..........

PS For other Edge owners who haven't had the Ford recall letter you can check on Etis whether your Edge is affected by the airbag recall, just plug in your Reg plate or VIN & check for any field service messages

39 minutes ago, kelvin1950 said:

Yup. I had mine done last week. It's a 3.3 hour job apparently. I also gave them a list of minor niggles to fix.

I assume they did the airbags, they did nothing else and had the car for two days.

Apparently the service manager was going to ring me today..........hang on, today's almost over!

Car was clean but I'm no more impressed than you.

This is just some of the marks

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

I went into my local dealer to arrange for the curtain airbags to be fitted. I was told the parts would have to be ordered and they'd call when the parts arrived. Two weeks later and I'm still waiting...

For me, the Edge is a fabulous car, spoilt by apathetic dealers...

After buying the car from this dealership i expected better but guess another example of we've got your money and now we don't care

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xn85 said:

I went into my local dealer to arrange for the curtain airbags to be fitted. I was told the parts would have to be ordered and they'd call when the parts arrived. Two weeks later and I'm still waiting...

For me, the Edge is a fabulous car, spoilt by apathetic dealers...

They are totally inconsistent between dealerships but generally poor from my experiences to date. When mine went in they told me it was needed for 2 days as on day 1 they would strip the liner to expose the air bags, then confirm with Ford if the airbags actually then needed replacing. I assumed there must be some serial number on the actual airbag itself which needed checking. If the air bags then needed to be replaced they were on next day express delivery hmmmmmm

I'm not pushing the airbags too much at the minute as I'm waiting for a proper response from Ford Customer Service about auto relock...

nothing needs checking. just replacement.

Was this recall build date specific? I've checked on Etis and no mention of it for mine?

7 hours ago, iantt said:

nothing needs checking. just replacement.

That doesn't surprise me despite what I was told. Ford service departments make it up as they plod along.......

• Like 1

Mine also has nothing on ETIS.

I had the recal letter but no longer own the car. 

I thought it was because the car was involved in a side impact collision last year. None of the airbags deployed, just as well I wasn't in it at the time. 

I have to notify Ford of change of ownership. 

Just got back from a 120 mile round trip to york stonacre dealership, they asked to to bring car into them on monday to replace airbags, then phoned saying there was a back order on these airbags and they couldnt be done yet. ***** cowboys.

• Like 2

Called in at my local dealer yesterday and he's just put me on the 'list' ! He also said that getting hold of the new airbags is not easy due to their high demand at the moment! 

Got a call from ford dealer today....booked in July 11 mainly because I wanted a courtesy car ....they said it will take 4 hours but after reading your comments I think a car is best as it maybe in a long time.....apparently it will be the first time they have done this .....I may postpone it until they get more practice 😀

Hi,

I'm puzzled by this, as I received a service Action letter from Ford informing me that my vehicle my be affected by this side curtain airbag condition and accordingly I booked it in to my local Ford dealer, currently awaiting them to call me when they have the necessary parts in as they are on back order. However, when i check my car on etis it informs me that no outstanding field actions identified, so what do I believe? Having read the condition of vehicles post this action I am inclined to refuse having this work done, what do you guys think?.

50 minutes ago, Mazzie said:

Hi,

I'm puzzled by this, as I received a Service Action letter from Ford informing me that my vehicle my be affected by this side curtain airbag condition and accordingly I booked it in to my local Ford dealer, currently awaiting them to call me when they have the necessary parts in as they are on back order. However, when i check my car on etis it informs me that no outstanding field actions identified, so what do I believe? Having read the condition of vehicles post this action I am inclined to refuse having this work done, what do you guys think?.

I thought the same but its a safety issue and I'd rather be safe than sorry, granted the dealership i used has made a mess of my car but I'm giving them the chance to put it right. My main issue is the fact they haven't cleaned the marks off the roof lining and trims. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've also had my letter, arrived yesterday. Envelope has big red lettering "Urgent Action Required". Repeated in black on the letter heading along with "Read Immediately". Speak to dealership and same as others here - parts are on back order! Provisional booking made for 3 weeks time. I'm seeing the first post here was about 3 weeks ago and presumably the op had to book and wait as well. So I'm seeing a minimum delay here of 2 months! And that's for something deemed urgent and needing immediate action!

Does anyone know the actual problem with the curtain airbags? If it's degradation of propellant I'm not that worried as it's not old enough to be a problem yet but if it's something like detachment of the bag itself I'm not sure it's ok to continue using the car considering it's now holiday time and many thousands of miles are going to be covered by these effected vehicles.

24 minutes ago, tonyh53 said:

Hi, I've also had my letter, arrived yesterday. Envelope has big red lettering "Urgent Action Required". Repeated in black on the letter heading along with "Read Immediately". Speak to dealership and same as others here - parts are on back order! Provisional booking made for 3 weeks time. I'm seeing the first post here was about 3 weeks ago and presumably the op had to book and wait as well. So I'm seeing a minimum delay here of 2 months! And that's for something deemed urgent and needing immediate action!

Does anyone know the actual problem with the curtain airbags? If it's degradation of propellant I'm not that worried as it's not old enough to be a problem yet but if it's something like detachment of the bag itself I'm not sure it's ok to continue using the car considering it's now holiday time and many thousands of miles are going to be covered by these effected vehicles.

I Didn't have to wait long to have it done but I imagine as more people have it done the longer the wait for parts. Unfortunately the dealership that did mine made a complete mess of my car and its currently back with them today for the 3rd time to sort the issues. I'm hoping 3rd time lucky 😕

2 hours ago, tonyh53 said:

I'd be interested too as I've heard of one car (not an EDGE) that had dash airbags recalled because they were firing shards of metal fragments out when they deployed! (I think there was a few really serious injuries, maybe even a fatality as a result) I've also heard of some bags not being packed correctly and so they don't inflate correctly or in time, providing little or no protection!

So the issue with these curtain airbags would certainly give you the choice if you wanted to still be driving around in it or not before it finally gets replaced.

Just had my air bags done and whilst the were removing the head liner they discovered the drivers door seal had not been fitted right letting in water causing the head liner to delaminate,  cut a long story short they replaced head liner and made a right balls up of doing the job, now waiting for a new liner to replace the other new liner, also bust cover on the passengers sun visor, replace it ? no!!!!!! stick it on with a piece of tape. Talk about cowboys

1 minute ago, bluepeter said:

Just had my air bags done and whilst the were removing the head liner they discovered the drivers door seal had not been fitted right letting in water causing the head liner to delaminate,  cut a long story short they replaced head liner and made a right balls up of doing the job, now waiting for a new liner to replace the other new liner, also bust cover on the passengers sun visor, replace it ? no!!!!!! stick it on with a piece of tape. Talk about cowboys

Honestly I don't understand why its so difficult. Think these days they are more interested in making there hours for bonus which means rushing and not giving a *****, if you know what's involved I'm sure most will find things wrong/broken. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club