Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curtain Airbag recall

Allan37

Mine is booked in for the 3rd August they've told me it's going to take 5 hrs after seeing some of the posts I'm absolutely dreading taking it in 

I might just tell them when I drop it off of all the horror stories I'm reading and hope they do a good job 

My car has been at the dealer since Monday for this. The parts have been incorrectly labelled in Germany. I have two near side airbags but the sealed boxes from Ford say otherwise (one of each)

Dealer has been great and I don't hold them accountable at all, they've kept me up to date on the parts arriving since I booked the recall but Ford customer service centre don't give a toss. I've requested a like for like loan car while mine is off the road, partners expecting so we're struggling with the low down Fiesta that my dealer has kindly provided in the meantime. I've already been told by Ford UK that they don't provide loan cars for recalls but I'm going higher and my dealer is trying too but they're getting the same responses.

Offside airbags are on back order and my car is on a ramp at the dealer in pieces. Ford can't tell me when the replacement will be here and Ford won't authorise for the dealer to put the car back together in the meantime.

i hope your recall goes better than mine.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 1

After several email exchanges with Ford customer services they still haven't informed what the problem is with the airbags. Just fobbing me off with contact the dealer for more info. Same as when I contacted them about another issue!

I've had a good few dealings with Ford Customer Relationship Centre over the past 10 days and they don't give much away. I gave up on them and am now in touch with the Executive Office. I found Ford UK CEO's email address on another forum so copied him in on a few matter of fact emails. 

I've spoken to Ford UK over the last few days and they've finally agreed to supply me an Edge as a courtesy car while mine is off the road. I've told them I don't want my car back until new airbags are fitted and the replacement drivers side will hopefully be with my dealer on the 21st August. 

Can't fault my dealer who have chased and chased and aided sorting the like for like loan car and giving me their own loan car while I've been waiting for Ford themselves to admit they've cocked up. Not all dealers are bad!

Might be worth getting your dealers to check the parts numbers inside the sealed labelled boxes prior to undertaking the job. However, if they open the box and there's an airbag in there, how are they going to know it's wrong part?

As Owen says, not all dealers are bad and mine has finally come up with the reason for the recall or at least he says he has! Apparently Ford sent a bulletin out to the dealers stating that when the Edge was launched in Europe they considered it important to gain an NCAP 5 star rating. It now has come to light that some vehicles were fitted with different airbags to those that were fitted to the vehicles that were used to gain the 5 star award and to retain the rating they have to change the different airbags. Ford are claiming the different airbags aren't faulty and will perform as they were designed to, but not provide the level of protection that goes with the 5 star rating.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From my earlier post, I was very reluctant to have this work done considering the bad experiences documented on this topic, however,I eventually decided to "bite the bullet" and get it done at my local Ford dealers Essex Ford. After two booking cancellations due to non-availability of parts my car went in yesterday afternoon, when booking it in I emphasized the shoddy work carried out by some Ford dealers. I collected the car today and having given it an initial inspection its looking good. All trim and hardware seems to have been refitted correctly, hopefully no trim clips broken, and everything appears to be operating as before including the door sill Edge light and the car doesn't look second hand. There were traces of a few grubby paw prints, but, a few minutes with a damp cloth has cleaned them off, so, all in all I think I got lucky and "dodged a bullet".

Hello all

had my airbags done Monday at lookers just a couple of small dirty marks that's all done in a day all panels seem to be put back to gether well

paul

Im Glad there has been some people out there who's curtain air bag recall has gone so well, im getting a phone call every week from Ford customer services but to be frank there a waste of time as they have already stated that the part i require will not be at dealers till back end of september. Suppose they are only doing there jobs, on the subject of courtesy cars, i was offered the new ford mustang from my dealer, had to decline as wife said your not losing your licence, lol.

Does all Ford Edge models have to get the airbags replaced or is it just up to a certain date models that have too be replaced ?

57 minutes ago, Laskababy said:

Does all Ford Edge models have to get the airbags replaced or is it just up to a certain date models that have too be replaced ?

Only certain build dates affected. 

Had my curtain airbags replaced last week and they handed it back with the c-pillar trims loose, a-pillar trims loose, grab handles loose and windscreen camera trim hanging down and also clips missing. Went mental at them and they took it back in and did fix all the issues finally over a couple of days. I can appreciate headlining down it not an easy job and tbh 3 hours they have assigned to the repair it not really enough but was so annoyed they had the nerve handing the car back thinking I would accept it in that condition. Anyway they offered me a free service as a gesture of goodwill which was a bonus so will let the off this time. Before you take the car in, take pictures of all the trim and when you do get he car back, throughly check everything and make sure there are no trim gaps and they haven't bodged any broken clips. Mines perfect now and back to how it should be when it left the factory. 

• Like 1

Had mine done last week at EH Blackpool. Got the car back same day and, apart from a couple of grubby finger marks, everything seems ok (so far). 

• 2 months later...

How are you guys finding out about this requirement?  I have a MY17 car built in Dec 16 and have no info about the requirement.

Another thing is I went to check on ETIS to see if it had been added there and you can no longer search against registration number:angry:  When did that change?

1 hour ago, Jim610 said:

How are you guys finding out about this requirement?  I have a MY17 car built in Dec 16 and have no info about the requirement.

Another thing is I went to check on ETIS to see if it had been added there and you can no longer search against registration number:angry:  When did that change?

ETIS still allows reg lookup!! If I remember right, it doesn't show in some browsers (especially on mobile devices). Its ok in IE and Chrome on a laptop/desktop.

Also, you can find out about recalls using the FordPass app on a phone/tablet.

It currently shows my outstanding recall on both systems :-) .. So, getting it done at the end of November along with my 1 yr Ford assist renewal.

EDIT : Just noticed that it doesn't show the details of your car build anymore and the expand button on the recall notice for further info doesn't work!! :ohmy:

how strange!  Chrome on work PC only shows VIN look up but Chrome on PC at home shows both.  Still no outstanding recall for me.

Any idea why?  Not that I'm complaining.

because yours has the later airbags already fitted.

Got mine back today from Wokingham ford, all done and immaculate, very pleased with there service, nice one Think Ford.