Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help

Phippsey27

Hi, I'm new to ford ownership and bought a ford focus 07 1.8tdci last week all was good until this morning, I got in car started it then it stalled restarted but would not rev then cut out, plugged it in and got a p0087 code, changed fuel filter and fuel rail pressure switch but still will not start, I've? Bleed the system with a hand pump but don't seem to be getting fuel, any ideas what the problem could be?  Tia

4 hours ago, Phippsey27 said:

bought a ford focus 07 1.8tdci last week all was good until this morning, I got in car started it then it stalled restarted but would not rev then cut out, plugged it in and got a p0087 code, changed fuel filter and fuel rail pressure switch but still will not start, I've? Bleed the system with a hand pump but don't seem to be getting fuel,

Once air gets into the high pressure pump, it is a pig to get it started. It relies on this pump to suck fuel up from the tank, and through the filter, but it will not suck once it has air in it.

The cure is to pump fuel in using a hand pump or good primer bulb on the inlet (tank) side of the fuel filter, pressurising the supply to the pump as much as you can. Ie ram fuel into the pump. By working upstream of the filter, you avoid the risk of getting dirt into the system. Even tiny particles can be very expensive, once they get to the pump or injectors!

The fact that it worked, then stopped for no reason may be an air leak into the fuel system. The gasket on the filter is one likely culprit, but cracked hoses and leaking fittings are possible. As these pipes & fittings are generally under suction, fuel will not leak out, but air will get in.

If you have a diagnostic tool like Forscan, it can monitor fuel rail pressure (as read by the rail transducer) while cranking. That may give some clue as to whether any fuel is getting through the pump.

Hint: Never use the starter more than about 10sec at a time, and allow say 30 sec between attempts. That is avoid overheating the starter & solenoid. Also keep the battery on charge.

A full fuel tank, or raising the rear of the car, might make it easier to get fuel through the system.

I had this problem when I done a filter change but I didn't put fuel in the new filter n got a massive airlock.

had to undo the injectors (just slacken off) release air and I kept feeding fuel into filter and had jump leads on whilst cranking up as I ran my battery flat.

toon ages to get turned over but got it in the end.

once you get it remember to tighten your injectors back up as I forgot n fuel was all over my engine lesson learned there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club