Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting a key cut and MyKey

halbith

Hi all, I have 64 plate Fiesta. It came with only one key and that key has the MyKey functionality enabled. 

If I get a car locksmith to cut another key does anyone know if:

1) I will be able to use the newly cut key to remove the MyKey functionality from the original key?
2) If not, will the new key be unrestricted and could I therefore use it as the main key and keep the original as a spare?

Many thanks,
 Hal

Thanks , I'm  hoping to find out if I could get and use a key from a local auto locksmith rather than paying extortionate dealer prices for a new admin key

I guess all you can do is ask at a local key-cutting shop if they can do it or know of someone who can.

New key should work ok mate, am guessing though just my thought.

i do know if it's new key fob they need programmed to the car, but if it's just key cut I don't see any issues tbh.

where did you buy the car from? And when?

I'd be asking questions as to why they've only given you one restricted key, and ask them to sort it out (if you bought in the last 6 months).

I don't know if mykey was enabled when I purchased it or if I enabled it by mistake. The mileage in the mykey settings ties up with when I purchased it (i.e. I enabled the feature) but I did a system settings reset when I purchased it so I'm not sure if that would have cleared previous history.

The dealers did supply a second non ford key that will open the doors but not start the car, I'm not sure if the 2nd key even has a transponder in it. 

Does anyone know if the second key not starting the vehicle should be covered under the 3 month warranty/sale of goods act?

Looking at the MyKey thing, according to Fords own website, you require two keys to use it (At least one admin key, and one or more MyKey). When did you buy the car? Was there only those two keys when you bought it? Have you asked the dealer if they still have one of the keys?

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/technology/comfort-and-convenience/ford-mykey

• 3 years later...
On 6/30/2017 at 6:59 PM, MetHead said:

I guess all you can do is ask at a local key-cutting shop if they can do it or know of someone who can.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:39 AM, halbith said:

I don't know if mykey was enabled when I purchased it or if I enabled it by mistake. The mileage in the mykey settings ties up with when I purchased it (i.e. I enabled the feature) but I did a system settings reset when I purchased it so I'm not sure if that would have cleared previous history.

The dealers did supply a second non ford key that will open the doors but not start the car, I'm not sure if the 2nd key even has a transponder in it. 

Does anyone know if the second key not starting the vehicle should be covered under the 3 month warranty/sale of goods act?

Hi mate i have the same problem with my 2016 fiesta how did you get on any info would be much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club