Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting fact on tyre age

chrisjw

You're never too old to learn something new, which I did today.

My car went in for it's 3rd service (major) a few weeks back & as I'd hoped considering it's low mileage (13.000 miles) & age (2014), passed all the inspection points with no problems except one. They pointed out that one tyre was reading 4mm tread as opposed to the other three which registered 6mm. I discovered today, that tyres are stamped with the date they were manufactured, which is something I didn't know, although it makes sense, so I had a look at mine. The three that are 6mm were all manufactured in 2014 & within a week or 2 of each other, but the one with 4mm is 2011 & they are all the exact same make & type. Therefore, either the older tyre has worn quicker, as they must be the original tyres, or the previous owner had maybe a puncture that could not be repaired & a replacement of the same make & model type was sourced & put on the car, as obviously there isn't a spare.  Knowledge is a wonderful thing. For those who like me did not know about this, somewhere around the tyre will be four numbers stamped on the tyre (e.g. 33/14). this shows the week & year that the tyre was manufactured.

Thanks for that Chris.   I, for one, was unaware of that.

this started in the 1980s.  they had three numbers eg. 148  meant week 14 of 1988.  

but of course come 1990 it would not work so for the 1990s they still used three digits but put a triangle next to it. so 148 with a triangle meant week 14 of 1998.

and then for 2000 onwards they got a bit more sensible and used four digits.

In my experience it is only shown on one wall of the tyre, not both walls.

On chrisjw's car I think the most likely thing to have happened is that a tyre was replaced with a 2nd hand part worn tyre (maybe on an older wheel eg. the owner just got a wheel and tyre from a crashed car - and there is nothing wrong with doing that - some people say they would never buy 2nd hand tyres but if you buy a 2nd hand car you have just bought a set of 2nd hand tyres)

Once in use tyres should be replaced at 6 years old, irrespective of mileage.  In your case the tyre is only 1mm of knackered anyway so I'd hang on.

Which wheel was it on?

41 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Thanks for that Chris.   I, for one, was unaware of that.

I'm a wealth of knowledge Bob........lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, isetta said:

this started in the 1980s.  they had three numbers eg. 148  meant week 14 of 1988.  

but of course come 1990 it would not work so for the 1990s they still used three digits but put a triangle next to it. so 148 with a triangle meant week 14 of 1998.

and then for 2000 onwards they got a bit more sensible and used four digits.

In my experience it is only shown on one wall of the tyre, not both walls.

On chrisjw's car I think the most likely thing to have happened is that a tyre was replaced with a 2nd hand part worn tyre (maybe on an older wheel eg. the owner just got a wheel and tyre from a crashed car - and there is nothing wrong with doing that - some people say they would never buy 2nd hand tyres but if you buy a 2nd hand car you have just bought a set of 2nd hand tyres)

Yes, that would be the logical explanation. All four alloys are immaculate, except for a tiny curb on one of the front rims, which I managed to do, but have now repaired it back to normal.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club