Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheel

Robini62

I have recently purchased a 64 plate Mondeo Titanium X Business edition - 2.0L Diesel 163bhp, with 89k on the clock.

I have noticed recently a vibration when idling, which has got slightly worse and my local mechanic said he's 100% certain that the dual mass flywheel is on the way out and that I should get it back to the garage I bought it from - I've had it 7 weeks.

Can anyone tell me the life expectancy of a DMF please.

The car was a fleet car and as such been regularly serviced.

Any help, suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the last DMF that failed on me was on a VW Passat after 247,000 miles.

Thanks

I'm sure it depends on how the car has been driven but chances are your dealer won't be interested at 89k they can be worn out but only if the car has been driven hard in its past life. Take it back to the dealer asap and talk to them about it but I don't think you'll have a leg to stand on, get your clutch done at the same time too.

I've just sold my 57 plate car with 226k on the clock still on original clutch and fly wheel, so there is now hard and fast rules as to how long they last

The vibration does this only happen when first turn car over on idle? If warmed up n ran idle it ok?

my focus makes a vibrating noise when cold if you press the clutch in it stops it, I was convinced it was clutch on way out but got told by garage when first start car up it's the injectors or something warming up it's common.

Damien,  It does it all the time.

It can be likened to a loose engine mounting so vibration from start to stop unfortunately.

Had it checked by a Ford Master Tech and he has confirmed the problem is the DMF, just got to hope I can get the dealer to chip in here, as only having had the car a short time, they must have had an idea that this might happen in the not to distant future bearing in mind the mileage.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

On 01/07/2017 at 7:46 PM, Ryan_Tango said:

I'm sure it depends on how the car has been driven but chances are your dealer won't be interested at 89k they can be worn out but only if the car has been driven hard in its past life. Take it back to the dealer asap and talk to them about it but I don't think you'll have a leg to stand on, get your clutch done at the same time too.

It had 89k on the clock when I bought it so I've not actually done that many miles :)

No worries least you know what it is now, 

Can you be sure it has only done 89K? Some dealers are more honest than others. :wink:

On 12/07/2017 at 0:28 AM, Neon Tetra said:

Can you be sure it has only done 89K? Some dealers are more honest than others. :wink:

Yes, it's fully RAC inspected and the Ford Garage that did the servicing has stamped the book each time and it's also online.

UPDATE....................... The RAC warranty covered the repair cost as it was deemed a failure of the part - happy days.

All good news. I'm pleased for you:smile:. I wish I had my Mondy RAC inspected when I bought it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club