Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 ZS - TDCi or TiVCT

Rogue_Shadow

Hi F.O.C

Been reading around the forum for quite awhile now, So I thought I best get signed up considering my potential next car :)

Ive currently driving a Saxo 1.1 :o Its served me well as a first car, but now im after something modern and slick.

After months of looking around Parkers guide and reading reviews, I loved everything the MK7 ZS had to offer.

However Im dead stuck on which engine Id prefer to have under the bonnet of the ZS.

The diesel has plenty of torque and im now used to diesel after 2 years of driving a Vivaro for work.

However the petrol has the performance and the kick off the line that im used to in my little 1.1 currently.

My local dealership will have a test model available this month, but its unlikely that they will have both fuels to try.

Would Love to know what you think

Huge thanks

Would love to help but i can't as i never drove any of the Fiestas until i took delivery of my TDCi last weekend

But i would argue that the added economy and torque of the diesel was enough to win me over, becasue the petrol ZS is only 120bhp anyway, so hardly going to set the world alight, and it just isn't sporty enough for me to want to part with all that cash for one.

Diesel FTW :)

Stepping up from a 1.1 either engine will impress you, I've not drove a diesel but i'm impressed with my petrol so far :) hope this helps abit

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I agree anything will be faster than my 1.1, which struggles after 60mph :D

For that reason I'd want the TDCi because the saxo really stopped me travelling long distances. Whereas the fuel economy is still great on the petrol. Its a damn tough one. I think the test drive will answer most questions. But its nice to see what other people think before I do that.

I'll keep an eye out for more views.

Thanks

The 1.6 petrol is quite smooth, its not exactly hugh on performance but because the Fiesta is so light, the car can shift at a decent rate. You only get a good surge of power after 4000rpm. Economy is around 40mpg on the motorway and 30mpg on the combined cycle, I find that the range is poor though as the tank is so small.

I would have went for the diesel for the reasons FMC has given but I couldnt justify paying extra for it, I just bought lots of options instead!

I've never driven the diesel but the Ti-VCT is a really good engine. The power delivery is pretty strong across the range and then as the VVT kicks in you'll be surprised at how long and hard it seems to rev (around to about 6k rpm). Agree with the previous poster about the engine having a lot more shove above 3000rpm as you'd expect but below that it never really feels like it doesn't have enough to potter along happily.

I've noticed that the car feels pretty fast if you're using all of the revs available up through the gears (revving to about 5.5k) and keep it on the boil as you go along.

Acceleration in gear at lower revs isn't quite as good though, and as the gearing is quite short to improve acceleration, on the motorway at 80mph you're looking at about 3750rpm which does affect fuel economy slightly. Saying that although it is revving pretty hard at this speed the noise isn't particulatly obtrusive as sound deadening and refinement are good. The gearbox is also excellent.

As for fuel economy I drive my car quite hard and do a lot of city driving and average between 34 and 35 mpg overall which I'm pretty happy with, and get much better than that on the motorway - probably 42-45mpg.

As you've got a 1.1 and you're looking to progress a bit, either of these engines could be the perfect move for you to something a bit sporty but that won't bite your head off or cost the earth to buy/run/insure.

Hope this helps a bit,

Andrew.

I have the Ti-Vct and i'll back up the point of how smooth it is. It's smoothness actually makes it feel slower than it is aswell imo, with it having continuously variable valve timing you dont get a sudden/large kick when the second cam comes into action (like you do with a honda vtec for example). I've even driven a few lesser power 16v engines that have more of a kick when the second cam comes into play higher up the rev range.

I have the Ti-Vct and i'll back up the point of how smooth it is. It's smoothness actually makes it feel slower than it is aswell imo, with it having continuously variable valve timing you dont get a sudden/large kick when the second cam comes into action (like you do with a honda vtec for example). I've even driven a few lesser power 16v engines that have more of a kick when the second cam comes into play higher up the rev range.

Having driven 1300km last weekend, I can vouch for the 1.6 TDCI being absolutely dandy on long drives, especially with cruise control! I was getting about 47 mpg doing 65, 45 mpg doing 75, but I did have the heater on the whole time (not air con) as it was fecking freezing! And my car has done only about 4000 miles.

Hope this helps.

with cruise control!

Why on earth Ford decide that the so-called "sporty" version (i.e. the Zetec S) doesn't need cruise control is beyond me! :angry:

Zetec S drivers use motorways too!

They way I see it

The two top models (Titanium and Zetec S) are either a choice between Sporty Ride and alot of gadgets as standard.

From what most people have said so far, ive gathered

the Ti-Vct is great performance engine but needs to be pushed hard

&

The TDCi is a fuel economic cruise machine.

Thanks for the further comments and feedback :)

Just adding my input to this as well.

I drive the petrol version and I do, on average, about 30 miles travelling to work and back and economy wise I get about 44mpg on a full tank and that isn't motorways either. I recently drove to Derby along the A38, trying to see how much I could get from the tank, I cruised at 70mph and rarely ever more than that - as a result I ended up getting about 49/50MPG so it is still a pretty economical car.

Having said that, I did a drive down to Southampton and my average speed on the motorways was above 80mph (shhhh!!!) and still got 36mpg from it despite the engine running at 4,000RPM or so.

On to the diesel....I have a friend who has bought the TDCi and he loves it, we drive together occasionally and the only real difference is that the diesel does have that extra bit of torque. Economy wise though, it isn't far superior - probably gets about an extra 3/4MPG from a tank.

My verdict - get the petrol if you want a similar car to your Saxo - quick and good fun to thrash! Or if you do want economy and a nice cruising car, then get the diesel.

I hope you can make sense of what I wrote >.< It's too early in the day for me to be thinking!

No that was nice and clear Jay, I do enjoy being able to put my foot down and get the performance from my saxo. What little performance is has anyway. I wont be making many LONG journeys in my ZS, I would like to attend a couple car shows etc. But I dont think these trips would warrant a TDCi engine.

Thanks Jay

No that was nice and clear Jay, I do enjoy being able to put my foot down and get the performance from my saxo. What little performance is has anyway. I wont be making many LONG journeys in my ZS, I would like to attend a couple car shows etc. But I dont think these trips would warrant a TDCi engine.

Thanks Jay

Yeah, for your needs I would just go with the petrol engine. If you were to be commuting every day along major motorways then I would suggest the diesel. But if you like to have fun in your car and having the car repay you for thrashing it then definitely go for the petrol :)

Honestly, you go to overtake at about 3500RPM, get up to 5k and it just seems to swallow up the road and just rev its nuts off all the way to 6000RPM+ it's good fun :D

I, too, went from a 1.2 Punto to the ZS and I still love the acceleration it gets and it is by FAR the best car in the price range - Corsa and Astra just don't cut it.

TIP: If you want that extra bit more from your new ZS though, I do suggest that you take it along to Mountune and get it tuned ;) I had a drive in one of them and the extra bit of torque that it lacks in the lower ranges is soon replaced...trust me ;)

yea thats another advantage of the Petrol engine, if i get bored I can tune it through mountune

I love seeing people talking about Revs because the only engine I can compare it too is my Diesel Vivaro Work van

Because my Saxo has a Clock instead of a rev counter ha ha.

Leaning towards the petrol now :)

Thanks Jay

Edit: Just a quick Petrol question, Living in Cornwall, any long trips would involve alot of motorway driving. How does the petrol handle on the motorway, I'm not sure if its already been covered...I have another look in a second.

Is it noisy/high revs at 70mph.

Thanks again

Edit: Just a quick Petrol question, Living in Cornwall, any long trips would involve alot of motorway driving. How does the petrol handle on the motorway, I'm not sure if its already been covered...I have another look in a second.

Is it noisy/high revs at 70mph.

Thanks again

I really like my Zetec S petrol on the motorway, I do a 150 mile round trip around 3 days a week, 90% of which is on the motoroway/bypass and I find it very smooth, quiet and economical. Yeah the revs are high at 70mph but the Fiesta will seem a lot lot quieter anyway compared to your car now, the wind noise etc is really low though which is good. Around 70mph I get around 40-45 mpg and even at 90mph the car does 37mpg cruising (allegedly :P)

I've driven the Diesel Zetec S also and although its considerably slower off the line and in town driving, theres hardly any difference in terms of performance when on the motorway really.

Having driven both though I'd recommend the petrol unless you do more than half your driving on the motorway, otherwise get the petrol which will do you both motorway and non motorway driving :P

Having driven both though I'd recommend the petrol unless you do more than half your driving on the motorway, otherwise get the petrol which will do you both motorway and non motorway driving :P

Perfect answer.

Im awaiting a call back from Vospers now to tell me the date when they will have a ZS demo model available :D

I own a 1.6 tdci and a ti-vct.

And imo the tcdi is the better car for the motorway all day long due to its torque and overtaking on low revs capabilities.

While the ti-vct is better for round town and city driving, due to its quieter engine. And when revs are kept high it's nice and nippy and much better pulling of at the lights and entering roundabouts.

You OWN TWO MK7's!

very handy though ... seeing you can compare them both :D

Everyday driving will be dual carriageways and town driving.

Occasionally I'll venture out of the county. But I don't honestly think I'll be on the motorway every month. Its around 150miles+ to get to the damn Motorway (M5) from Cornwall

Motorway noise is very minimal in the Ti-VCT. Just put the radio on to around volume 8 and you can't hear the road to be honest :)

Oh, and if you upgrade the Speakers you will be amazed at how well it can handle all the ranges! :D I love my system and it can easily handle it up at 30 (Max) on my Metal, DnB, RnB and whatever else I listen to lol. I know that wasn't a question though!

But yeah, noise is minimal, definitely the Ti-VCT for your needs ;)

If there was a thank you button

Id being using it

Thank You

Motorway noise is very minimal in the Ti-VCT. Just put the radio on to around volume 8 and you can't hear the road to be honest :)

Oh, and if you upgrade the speakers you will be amazed at how well it can handle all the ranges! :D I love my system and it can easily handle it up at 30 (Max) on my Metal, DnB, RnB and whatever else I listen to lol. I know that wasn't a question though!

But yeah, noise is minimal, definitely the Ti-VCT for your needs ;)

What Speakers have you got mate?

I haven't got any aftermarket ones mate. Just got the dealer to upgrade them free of charge ;) I got the Street Pack, Tinted windows and 6 set of Speakers chucked in to keep the sale ;) But they do upgrade the standard ones if you have the upgrade...apparently. I still love my sound system. All it needs is a sub and amp and I'll be happy. Although running cables to the boot is an &#33;Removed&#33; on this car!

I was told by my dealer that it was really down to personal choice and as I always buy with the heart I went for petrol - and as I only do about 5K miles a year, having the evil engined one would have only ended up costing me more!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club