Do Not Sell My Personal Information

installing a sub

AlexBartlam

hello all

i tend to have mad ideas randomly through the day of what i can do next, iv wanted a sub and have been looking at the underseat subs as i need my boot space,

but this idea came in to my head of purchasing a 1/2" thick sheet of ply and cutting a hole to put the sub into and put some carpet to it looks good.iv found a decent kenwood sub speaker, and iv found an mini amp, i can then put the original boot liner back inso i have the full boot space still.

im all good with the cutting and installing the hard ware but how would i do the nitty gritty electrical side of it

many thanks

5959fb8ec6ed7_subdesign.jpg.14d95ce74cfb84377da39a6f8edeb8d8.jpg

Here is a quick design iv just done on paint, the amp can be put at the back just there for show, the chamfer can be shallower depending on how high the speaker comes up

Subwoofers are all about the enclosure. It needs to be completely sealed in for your situation, you don't have the room for a ported one really. The diagram above is neither.

So you want to put a sub speaker in the space where a spare wheel would go or on a home made parcel shelf?
If in the spare wheel well then not just any speaker will do. Somehow measure the volume of the cavity then contact the speaker manufacturer to get their recommendation.
If you want to put the speaker under the parcel shelf (recommended ) then most 10 or 12" subs will do. Most will work just fine in free air. The amp could be mounted on the shelf also.
You need a signal from either the radio or a door speaker. Amps now have a speaker in connection.
You'll need a good quality power cable from the battery running through the bulkhead then under the carpet through to the boot. Very close to the battery make sure you have a 100 amp fuse in the power cable.
Get an earth from somewhere in the boot.
If your not so confident then find a local car hifi centre and they'd do a guaranteed job for about 30 to 50 quid. They'd also advise on which speaker and amp.

brill thanks for the advice i did a bit more digging last night and as luke said i need a sealed enclosure so what id thought was get a premade box sub (not on an angle) and attach it like the pic i "drew", not too keen on parcel shelf Speakers to be honest, too add to my first post the boot liner wont be down constantly as it will dampen the sound i will be attaching a means to keep it flush with the rear seats and drop it when needed as it wont be needed constantly, only if i go biking or fishing,  

Ok if you want a sealed enclosure then there's ONLY ONE sub to get. The Alpine SWE 815. It wo t take up much room in your boot and it'll blow your socks off.. I've had one for over a year and it is the absolute best sub out there. At 120 quid there's nothing to touch it.

• Like 1

There's info on how I did my sub and amp install in my build thread for BaSTian.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

Ok if you want a sealed enclosure then there's ONLY ONE sub to get. The Alpine SWE 815. It wo t take up much room in your boot and it'll blow your socks off.. I've had one for over a year and it is the absolute best sub out there. At 120 quid there's nothing to touch it.

looks banging £125 on amazon so will likely buy this one, looks like it will fit nice in the boot to one side and leave me enough room

15 hours ago, Dan P said:

There's info on how I did my sub and amp install in my build thread for BaSTian.

thanks will look at that 

• Like 1

You won't be disappointed Alex. It comes with a tone and frequency control which you can adjust from the drivers seat. It's on a long lead which plugs into the subs built in amp.

This is mine i built myself. Its in a mk3 focus its a slimline sub so you dont need a huge box. The amp is fiited as part of the sub made by pioneer came with a remote boost adjust and works pretty well. Especially as it is my first attempt lol. I can still use my boot ok.

20170625_093055.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club