Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to setup 'MYKey'

Banana Co

So i've been making an effort to drive better, mainly because i've had a few close calls when spotting speed camera vans. I gather 'mykey' can make an alert sound when driving in excess of certain speeds.

is that correct? if so is it connecting my my phone to determine the speed limit?

Is it worth setting up or is it likely to be annoying?

Also how do I set it up?

Ta

I thought it would not allow the car to be driven above a certain speed.

• Like 1

I think it does that but i'm sure i read somewhere that it can make an alert noise. I thinking it might be handy if I drift over 30mph in a 30 zone. I'm not convinced thats how its going to work though.

If you set it to 30 you might find that you can't go any faster.   I use a sat nav that sounds an alarm when you go one mile an hour over the speed limit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Banana Co said:

I think it does that but i'm sure i read somewhere that it can make an alert noise. I thinking it might be handy if I drift over 30mph in a 30 zone. I'm not convinced thats how its going to work though.

To do what you want to do, Sygic offer a speed camera app. The MyKey limits the cars top speed regardless and won’t do what you want from it.

• Like 1

Ah ok, maybe i mis-read the info. I've got Waze app but the alert its a bit on the quiet side and I'm not convinced i'll always remember to connect the phone up

Some cars have the feature built in eg. my wife's 2010 Mazda 2 TS2- you can set it so that it beeps when you go above any speed that you set it at. Not seen it on other cars.

I think there's a bit of confusion as to the concept of MyKey.

It's designed to limit certain functions on the car if being lent to a 'younger' driver.

You can activate a seatbelt minder, radio volume limiting to 44% of maximum, low fuel warnings at 75 miles rather than the default 40 miles and maximum speeds at four different settings – 65, 70, 75 or 80 mph, with chimes sounding at 45, 55 and 65 mph.

It is not a system which changes maximum speed depending on road speeds, the parameters are set by the primary keyholder and aren't adjustable on the fly.

The only option for on the move speed control is if you have cruise with speed limiter fitted.

• Like 1

I wonder if MyKey has different functions on different models of car due to the different things people have said above, and when I read the original post I thought that I reckon there is no chimes function available on mine 

7 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I think there's a bit of confusion as to the concept of MyKey.

It's designed to limit certain functions on the car if being lent to a 'younger' driver.

You can activate a seatbelt minder, radio volume limiting to 44% of maximum, low fuel warnings at 75 miles rather than the default 40 miles and maximum speeds at four different settings – 65, 70, 75 or 80 mph, with chimes sounding at 45, 55 and 65 mph.

It is not a system which changes maximum speed depending on road speeds, the parameters are set by the primary keyholder and aren't adjustable on the fly.

The only option for on the move speed control is if you have cruise with speed limiter fitted.

The highlighted bit is probably what I've read and made an assumption on, i'm getting the hang of setting up my phone most days now so happy to use Waze for the moment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club