Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof bars, need paint protection?

Banana Co

So i've put my new thule bars on the car, i'm getting worried about the paint, the feet sit on top and then there is a metal bracket that makes contact with the pain over the door. Is there anything I can use between the contact points to protect the paint? Needs to be a quickish job as I'm using it this weekend!

Heli tape as a log term solution, Vaseline as an emergency anti chafing measure.  

• Like 1

Gaffer tape? That's what I'd use, or electrical tape. Not a clue for a long term solution, can you not order rubber stoppers or something for these brackets? check with the manufacturer

• Like 1

Wouldn't gaffer tape or similar also ruin the paintwork? I want something that I can put on and remove as and when its required. I'll have a look at Heli tape, not heard of it before

I would say just tape up the brackets and then put the roof bar on instead of taping the paintwork on the car. Easy enough to remove any adhesive left behind by the tape using meths or a similar solvent. 

• Like 1

ah is this the stuff?

Here

couldn't tell you mate never used it

its heli tape. Originally intended to protect the blades on helicopter rotors its proven very popular with cyclists.  Properly applied its gives a near invisible protective film that is permanent, yet can be peeled off with ease and will not damage paint.

Aren't the metal brackets covered in plastic/rubber? Once tightened up they should fit in the gap between the roof and the top of the door.

I've been using thule bars since 1996 on 3 different cars and they have never caused any damage.

roof bars.jpg

yes it has the rubber feet, its more the bracket that comes in contact with the bit by the top of the door. img_ford_fiesta_sedan_thule_480r_arb47_k

I think it will be fine.

I always clean the area on the car where the foot and clamp sits on (you don't want any dirt/grit under it as that will mark the paint) and also the foot and clamp themselves. When you tighten up the clamp, make sure it's all straight. 

• Like 1

I hope so! my Cruz bars left dents (think i over tightened) so i'm paranoid these are going to damage the car in some way

As mentioned above they should be fine given they are painted. Just make sure your paintwork in that area (and under the feet) is spotless before attaching them. 

I wouldn't use Vaseline as you don't want anything that might encourage the clamps to slip off! It would also be more likely to attract dirt and cause the very issue you are trying to avoid. 

• Like 1

I meant the Vaseline between the edge of the door itself to prevent rubbing.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood!

On 7/4/2017 at 4:12 AM, Banana Co said:

So i've put my new Thule bars on the car, i'm getting worried about the paint, the feet sit on top and then there is a metal bracket that makes contact with the pain over the door. Is there anything I can use between the contact points to protect the paint? Needs to be a quickish job as I'm using it this weekend!

Banana CO,

Protecting your paint is essential to keeping your car looking perfect down the road. There are many DIY paint protection films available for you. TRACWRAP being one of them, would be ideal for your situation.

TRACWRAP

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club