Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injector Leak

Maddog55

Hi All

Had not got chance to go through the Forum in fine detail it see if some one has already done this, But I suspect I have a leak in First injector on the right side of the engine. 2008 Focus TDCI DuraTec Diesel. Smell what I think is exhaust gas in the cabin. Was talking with a local mechanic. He said that the injectors on these if they leak are very difficult to remove and in some cases part of the head comes away with the injector. I have done injectors on 2005 Fiesta before. But do I need a special tool to remove the injector and is there a guide on this forum to see how its done. Going on Camping Hols in 4 days and would like to see if I can get it sorted before I go Thanks

what engine size.

on my previous fiesta diesel (1.6tdci) when they started leaking I just did the nuts up a bit tighter. all 4 started leaking on separate occasions.  my brother now has the car and one has started leaking again but me doing them up tighter lasted at least 20,000 miles.  Do not do up too tight, if it snaps or you strip thread you will have a very major problem to sort out

Its a 1.6 TDCI. I would rather replace the copper seal than tighten. But if it is a nasty Job to remove then I would tighten and then look at replacement after I return

Hello

Removing the injectors on the 1.6 PSA engine can be a bit of a problem! If they haven't been out before the chances are that combustion products will have got past the copper injector seals and gunged up the injector tube where the injector sits and deposited carbon etc in between the the injector sleeve and the injector body effectively "glueing" them in! After you have removed the 2 clamping hex head nuts see if you can rotate or waggle the injector in the sleeve. If there is some movement then perseverance and care and EGR type cleaner may allow you to keep rotating the injector backwards and forwards until you get them moving and gently pull them out but it can take lots of patience! They are difficult to get a decent grip in the injector body with the plastic inlet manifold in place and life is much easier if you take the manifold off all together but involves another hour or so. Once you've got the injectors out (keep injector pipes and openings etc ultra clean as dirt can be disasterous) you can fish the old copper seals out. They will need replacing and possibly the aluminium injector seats recutting to restore a clean, flat seat). Ford recommend new injector feed pipes as the flared ends are compressible single use but I have carefully reused them several times without any leaks. You will need to bleed the fuel system after you've got everything back together as there is no fuel pump as such. Replacing the copper seals can be a bit daunting and if it's your first foray into injector removal you may be happier recruiting some experienced help or taking the job to your friendly local mechanic. Things are much easier if the injectors have been out previously in the last 20k miles and you've checked that the injector clamp nuts are nipped up to prevent combustion gases getting past the seals in the first place. Good luck there's lots of help available here and Google is your best friend!

what have you got to lose by doing them up a bit tighter? when mine were leaking the nuts were way below the proper torque setting. but don't overdo it.

I have never removed injectors because I know it can turn into a nightmare that you may well wish you had never started

Very true!

The hex socket nuts are very prone to loosening and I stuck shake proof washers under mine to help keep them tight. If there are signs of coke gunge around the top of the injector tubes then the chances are that just tightening won't help but worth a try. The studs are pretty slim and snap like carrots if over tightened. Can't remember the recommended torque setting but it's not much more than 5 Nm. Don't use a hefty ratchet to nip them up! Silly design faults ruin what is otherwise a great engine.

I have tighten them to 5nm and a bit. Still somke smell in the Cabin. It has gone down a bit, Dont want to torque any more just in case i break a stud. Any one know the part numbers for the injector seal and associated componets or where best to get them

I can't help with your parts question, but I would expect the smell to continue for a bit unless you cleaned any diesel residue off around the injectors - which would be pretty difficult. There is probably still some diesel residue there which needs to cook a bit more before the smell disappears (based on my previous fiesta 1.6tdci ).