Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cornering lights

Harni

Hi all,

sure I read this somewhere but I can't find it so may be dreaming!

is it possible with a mk3.5 focus to activate cornering lights (fog light coming on into low speed corners when turning) as commonly found on German cars? I had this on my old Kia and found it a very useful function. 

Fog lights can't be retasked by law.
You could add rings around the fogs but would need steering rack sensors.
The mk3.5 cornering lights are integral to the headlights.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi got a 2012 titanium x focus , are the cornering lights supposed to work in both directions? Mine only work when turning left , is this meant to be set up like this ?

They should work in both directions. There is a separate halogen bulb in the headlamp unit for the cornering lights, has one bulb failed?

I'm sure on my previous car, a Mk5 Mondeo Titanium, the fog lights were used as cornering lights at low speed. I'm assuming that the Mk4 Focus does the same but TBH I haven't taken it out enough in the dark to notice yet.

Just my opinion but think these cornering lights look absolutely stupid out on the road.

I think they're totally useless!. I didn't realise the Mondeo had them for about a year. I kept thinking I could see lights going on and off as I was driving out of the housing estate on dark mornings and wondering what was wrong? Eventually someone in the office mentioned cornering lights so I looked and sure enough, that's what it was. About as much use as a chocolate teapot! Unless, of course, you are the supplier of the bulbs, going on and off like that has got to lead to early failure...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

I'm sure on my previous car, a Mk5 Mondeo Titanium, the fog lights were used as cornering lights at low speed. I'm assuming that the Mk4 Focus does the same but TBH I haven't taken it out enough in the dark to notice yet.

Yes, my Mk4 Focus Titanium X has them so you should be the same.

I stand to be corrected but I think they are standard on Titanium and above.

On 7/6/2017 at 8:37 PM, Harni said:

I had this on my old Kia and found it a very useful function. 

In what way was it useful?

They're meant to illuminate kerbs and around corners so you don't knack your expensive alloys or kit some kiddy on the road because you didn't see them in the dark.
I also find them particularly handy when parallel parking so you know you're clear of the back of the car in front.
Tests have proved that they are beneficial for impriving road safety.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

To counter that. The first time I came across them was when I was waiting to pull out at a junction. The cars what I thought fog light lit up and I thought he was flashing me out. Thought it odd he'd do that plus was saying to myself he only had 1 working.
Yes I know that is not what flashing your lights is for and did in fact ignore it. I just thought someone could mistake that for that very thing.

I also have the same thoughts of your auto headlights powering on as you approach a junction and again someone jumping to immediately pulling out.

• Like 1