Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust paint burning

Laskababy

Hi there,picked up my brand new Ford Edge sport last Friday,have to say it is amazing and better than I thought,I noticed a few days ago when I stopped after a small drive that there was a smell of burning and some smoke like brakes burning but after looking at all 4 wheels they were cool so I was stumped,last night same thing again but this time I had a quick look under car and found it,the back box on exhaust is painted black and when it got hot there was like smoke burning off the black paint which was slightly sticky with the heat of the exhaust,I'm hopping this will eventually burn itself of a bit because its brand new and it will be heat resistant paint painted on back box,has anyone else experienced this,it's no big deal I was just wondering and hopeing it goes eventually,as I say I knew the car would be brilliant and so far it has proved just that,many thanks.

Hi Laska, Carnt say that i have ever noticed any burning smell coming from the exhaust, wouldnt have thought that if its heat resistant paint it would get that hot to make it burn as the exhaust fumes at the rear box would be quite cool by then. Best option pop into dealership and ask. 

• Like 1

I've been told by a few people in the know that those types of smells can often come from wax seals on new cars. I certainly had a few funny smells (which weren't the DPF burning off) which have since disappeared. I didn't have any smoke though. 

• Like 1

I have experienced the smell on 5 or 6 occasions on my car and sometimes wisps of smoke and it is now 8 months old, I've always assumed that it is the coating on the exhaust curing, I've also experienced this on some other cars I've owned, but not after such a prolonged time as the Edge. Have to say I haven't noticed it recently so maybe its now "fully cured".

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks,I did tell the salesman on the phone a few days ago and he said keep an eye on it,that's before I noticed it was comeing of the back box of the exhaust last night,I also googled it and a lot of replies were of the same kind,new cars have waxes and oils and plastics that burn off of the car is brand new,I'll keep an eye on it,iv never seen an exhaust painted black before,well I think it's painted black and there could be waxes or oils just burning of,thanks again for the replies 👍

I have had that smell. I thought it was the black painted interior of the chromed exhaust trims in the rear bumper. They feel inside like a little coating has burned off. Not certain though. 

Mentioned a burning smell to our dealer and he said it was something to do with emissions ie. some sort of heater/reaction to burn off the hydrocarbons ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club