Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DASH CAMS

LIAMSAFC

Can anyone recommend to me a easy to use/set up dash cam that doesn't break the bank and obviously records clear footage (clear enough to read reg plates). If anyone knows which brand or what store i'm likely to find a decent one i'd appreciate it cheers. 

I have a transcend DrivePro 200 at the back window and a 220 in the front. I think they are both under £100 and often on offer in Halfords. Very easy to use and setup. Great clear footage and stills. The 200 does not have GPS so doesn't record speed, g force and location. The 220 does all that and more for not a lot more coins. Personally GPS is essential. Look on amazon and in Halfords but for Christ sake do not let them fit it, unless you want your wipers to come on when you turn the radio up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not on offer in Halfords just now, but well worth paying a little extra. I would recommend you stay off eBay as there as so many Chinese knock offs, loads of people buy them and they are fine but I guarantee for every 1 good one there are at least 5 bad ones - from the same batch and seller. It's a lottery mate.
IMG_20170427_011733_zps3yldjben.jpg
IMG_20170426_222527_zpssw6yox4m.jpg

First image is a zoomed image from a video still.
Second image is a still taken when I paused the footage and captured an image of that, shows speed etc. I also managed to zoom in and get the details of the lorry including partial ref and tel number from firm. Guy in the white Dacia near killed me and my 10month old daughter. Gave all the footage to the police and he has been charged with dangerous driving, even though they didn't see it happen real time! Camera was worth every penny just for that.

EDIT. Images are not in order that I pasted them lol

• Like 3

Mivue 518 here, F2 lens, GPS, G-force, speed and shows your location on a map. Emergency recording and park mode. Full HD as well and records sound. Parking mode and also takes pictures.

A recording I took on the way to work (you may need to view it on YouTube to see it full HD?). -> 

• Like 2

Mivue 518 here, F2 lens, GPS, G-force, speed and shows your location on a map. Emergency recording and park mode. Full HD as well and records sound. Parking mode and also takes pictures.
A recording I took on the way to work (you may need to view it on YouTube to see it full HD?). -> 

That's a good picture [emoji2]

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

That's a good picture emoji2.png

It's caught a few idiots since I've had it ;) I need to install a rear PowerPoint and rear camera as well

Mines caught a fair few but that is the only one that I have ever reported or even shared. There are plenty of times where you have thought "what a daftie* why did he do that" but on that occasion I genuinely thought he could have killed us. You don't need a rear power point, just splice into one of the switched live wires and earth it to the chassis?

*insert any name here

I got a Next base, a pressie from Mrs Tull.  I don't bother reporting stuff to the police because a) I don't want to go to Court, and b) if I started down that route I'd do nothing else all day long, such is the general level of muppetry.

• Like 1

The guy in my pic actually put me off the road onto the grass verge. It was flat and I stopped braking so as not to skid but he wasn't getting away with it

• Like 1

Dont be put off with the cheap ones as i have had a few and as good as some of the £200 or more ones and only £70 area.

I have had one for years,also all depends if you want a bulky one or one that fits in that bit better as i wanted one that didn't stick out.

If you look in my window you wont see a sucker on the window just a small lens as stuck to mirror plastic cover.

There great things to look at some things that go on and some close stuff.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

The guy in my pic actually put me off the road onto the grass verge. It was flat and I stopped braking so as not to skid but he wasn't getting away with it

That's your call.  I don't want to go to Court, so I don't, and it won't undo what happened.

It won't, you're right but in this one instance it was too close for comfort and I'm going to make sure he thinks twice before doing it again. In this instance I'm still angry as it was a conscious choice to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic and endanger my life, which I can deal with, but not when it endangers my daughter.

• Like 1

I would recommend Blackvue, I have the 550 2ch. They are expensive but well worth the money. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It won't, you're right but in this one instance it was too close for comfort and I'm going to make sure he thinks twice before doing it again. In this instance I'm still angry as it was a conscious choice to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic and endanger my life, which I can deal with, but not when it endangers my daughter.

Good luck if you get summonsed.  Even better luck when his brief asks you to confirm your address for the Court.

Good luck if you get summonsed.  Even better luck when his brief asks you to confirm your address for the Court.

You've lost me

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You've lost me

Glad I'm not alone! :wacko:

• Like 2

Perhaps we will find out soon....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Perhaps we will find out soon....

I think he's saying "once the accused finds out his address he'll be 'paid' a visit!"

• Like 1

I think he's saying "once the accused finds out his address he'll be 'paid' a visit!"

You might be right there, makes sense. I must be naive as I never thought of that lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Russ said:

I get it now,i have caught up as my brain had a freeze then,as for the camera shop around but your choice but read a lot on here and the ones people got

they are not £200 plus ones and amazing video quality.

• Like 1

I have a £150ish system, the K1S. Fairly good video quality if not for the focal length of the cameras meaning it picks up the heating wires in the windscreen. I have a CPL filter also on the front to reduce dash reflections. Button is by my left knee for locking and starting/stopping recording, and AV out goes into my android head unit so I can watch videos back wherever I wish (and to check it's recording).

The only downside is that when the battery runs out in the device (in parking mode), if you start and then stop the engine again before it charges enough the camera will cut off and cause a filesystem error on the card - the camera will then stop/start at it's leisure when trying to write to the erroneous part of the card. A format or chkdsk fixes it.

• Like 1

Cheapo dash cam from Asia, got one for around a £10 but took 3 weeks to arrive. Admittedly it's not great, but my opinion is it's better to have something rather than nothing?

After seeing the above footage it's definitely something I'll upgrade to in the future but this is great for a £10!!

• Like 1

Another vote for Blackvue. Video quality is really good. Worth the price.

• Like 1

The best dashcam you can buy for small change is the Viofo A119

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXLD4J7/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14NDKI70Y2NKV&coliid=I2RP7XOA90YB18&psc=1

Although if you really want the best dashcam you would be better using your mobile phone with a decent dashcam app £10 or just buy a cheap 8mp camera Android iPhone 5 or Nokia Lumia and stick a dashcam app on it and stick it in your car and bung on a copy of Torque pro and an OBD bluetooth dongle and you can also double it up as a vehicle diagnostic tool - I have saved literally thousands in repair bills by using OBD tools of various types and Torque Pro is invaluable!

These dashcams especially the cheapos have really poor optics and electronics whether capacitor based or li-ion battery types they all exhibit problems reading number plates and working in the dark especially - with a good mobile phone app and a decent phone i would always choose this over any sub £100 dashcam!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club