Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Audio Quality

MattJakeT

Hello

Sorry if this thread has already been done. I traded in my 15 plate fiesta zetec s for a 16 plate focus zetec s (not st-line as they are now called) Although it is the facelift. After some thought, I've come to think that the Speakers are not as good as the fez, but I can't tell if its just my imagination. I assumed because it was a bigger car with a better headunit that the audio would at least match the fiesta. 

Does anyone else think this, and how do I go about sorting it? 

Cheers 

First sound is a very personal experience. Every person can experience it differently. However based on your description I suspect your car has the High Level audio system with 6-speakers (4 woofers, 2 tweeters).

The original Focus MK3/MK3.5 Speakers are actually not bad. The mediocre sound quality is caused by the combination of the standard ACM (Audio Control Module) and the standard Speakers

The Sound quality can be improved drastically by sound proofing the door panels. Sound proofing prevents the door panels from vibrating/resonating and enhance the low tones. Another major improvement is installing the original rear tweeters.  

• Like 1

The rear tweeters would improve audio quality at the back of the car I suppose but would it make much a difference for the driver? Or is it a case more Speakers the better?

38 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

First sound is a very personal experience. Every person can experience it differently. However based on your description I suspect your car has the High Level audio system with 6-speakers (4 woofers, 2 tweeters).

The original Focus MK3/MK3.5 speakers are actually not bad. The mediocre sound quality is caused by the combination of the standard ACM (Audio Control Module) and the standard speakers. 

The Sound quality can be improved drastically by sound proofing the door panels. Sound proofing prevents the door panels from vibrating/resonating and enhance the low tones. Another major improvement is installing the original rear tweeters.  

• Like 1

The rear tweeters are at the front of the door panel, very close to the driver. In fact the rear tweeters are even closer to the driver than the front tweeters.

Installing rear tweeters is a major improvement of higher tones. The rear tweeters make the sound much richer.

After installing the rear tweeters it is necessary to change the Central Car Configuration parameters to 8-speakers (9-speakers (Sony) setup minus the center speaker). This setting affects the speaker output of the ACM.

• Like 2

Fair enough.  I plan to change my car out for a Titanium mk3 or mk3.5 Focus in January, so I should get to experience the richer audio sound aided by the rear tweeters as well as better audio set up in general.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The rear tweeters are at the front of the door panel, very close to the driver. In fact the rear tweeters are even closer to the driver than the front tweeters.

Installing rear tweeters is a major improvement of higher tones. The rear tweeters make the sound much richer.

After installing the rear tweeters it is necessary to change the Central Car Configuration parameters to 8-speakers (9-speakers (Sony) setup minus the center speaker). This setting affects the speaker output of the ACM.

Had no idea you could just go ahead and install the rear tweeters, got my self some door cards with them already on but still need to buy the door wiring loom

• Like 1

There is no need to change the entire wiring looms. The rear tweeters are connected in parallel with the woofers. The woofers have a 4-pole connector to pass the signal through to the tweeters. If the tweeter wiring is missing it can easily be added. You can make the missing 2 wires yourself or take it out of a scrap car. Most Ford models have the same tweeter connectors so the wiring can also be taken from a different Ford model. 

• Like 1

I changed the front Speakers in my Mk 3.5, and can honestly say the difference is night and day. The standard Speakers vibrated at reasonably low volume and generally sounded nowhere as good as my old Mk 3. The main difference is that the Speakers in the Mk 3.5 have paper cones rather than polymer, as in the Mk 3. Having said that, it's all down to personal taste; what one person thinks sounds good, others may not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As a previous comment has stated sound deadening can make a big difference. I recently had the front components upgraded on my mk2.5 and at same time had the deadening fitted. The improvement cant be understated! As for rear tweeters, well it comes to personal pref. Do you have passenegers in the car alot or is it just you mainly. Only ask cause the sound engineer who did my install raised a gd point about the rear Speakers only being for back fill noise. When i have mine changed next mth im not havin components fitted even though thats what is currently in. Im Going to coaxial Speakers for the rear but then it is mainly just me In the car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jollyandy said:

I changed the front speakers in my Mk 3.5, and can honestly say the difference is night and day. The standard speakers vibrated at reasonably low volume and generally sounded nowhere as good as my old Mk 3. The main difference is that the speakers in the Mk 3.5 have paper cones rather than polymer, as in the Mk 3. Having said that, it's all down to personal taste; what one person thinks sounds good, others may not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The polymer Speakers were only available with the Sony system? I have the Sony system in my MK3.5 and they are definitely polymer!

I currently have a basic model 16 plate focus while mine is being repaired thanks to an accident from the rear and the quality is noticeable!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 9:32 AM, JW1982 said:

HI

I've got a Titanium with the 6 Speakers and added the rear door tweeters.  When using focccus to set to (9 speakers) and then the centre speaker to without. I get a config error on the ACM any ideas?

John

• Like 1

The polymer speakers were only available with the Sony system? I have the Sony system in my MK3.5 and they are definitely polymer!

I currently have a basic model 16 plate focus while mine is being repaired thanks to an accident from the rear and the quality is noticeable!

My Titanium X has the standard system, the only option missing was the premium sound system, and as I've said earlier has the paper coned speakers; the polymer cones really do make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

HI
I've got a Titanium with the 6 speakers and added the rear door tweeters.  When using focccus to set to (9 speakers) and then the centre speaker to without. I get a config error on the ACM any ideas?
John

Change it back to the standard 6 speaker configuration; it should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't know what ford did between the MK3 and MK3.5 but the audio quality went backwards imo.

The Sony system in my 2012 MK3 was great, it used to vibrate the rear view mirror and didn't even have a sub. I now have the premium Sony system with sub and it sounds worse, lol.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2017 at 10:18 PM, alexp999 said:

I don't know what ford did between the MK3 and MK3.5 but the audio quality went backwards imo.

The Sony system in my 2012 MK3 was great, it used to vibrate the rear view mirror and didn't even have a sub. I now have the premium Sony system with sub and it sounds worse, lol.

The sound in mine at present starts off sounding great and then as the journey goes on gets worse. It starts sending bass to my tweeters before my centre and sub Speakers will randomly stop working. Finally this week I'm going to be getting a new ACM to see if that cures the problem.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies

After reading this and speaking with colleagues, I think I might change the Speakers and add sound proofing. How would I go about doing this myself? And what Speakers should I be buying. When I looked at changing them on my fiesta I think an adapter plate was needed? 

Thanks

Matthew

8 hours ago, MattJakeT said:

Thank you for all the replies

After reading this and speaking with colleagues, I think I might change the speakers and add sound proofing. How would I go about doing this myself? And what speakers should I be buying. When I looked at changing them on my fiesta I think an adapter plate was needed? 

Thanks

Matthew

Sound proofing is pretty easy I used Silent Coat on my bonnet (Don't ask why but it actually reduced noise and you can't hear the rain hit it anymore) as for speaker sizes I think you might okay but worse comes to worse you can always get an adaptor plate

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club