Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost engine Overheat

ctlfc

Hi All

Yesterday I was driving home from work, I noticed some smoke coming from the engine and stopped in to a tyre dealership that happened to be up the road. I got there and the engine cut out, and would not come on following this. 

When I got opened the bonnet, the coolant in my engine was empty and some had clearly leaked onto the engine itself. On closer inspection we notice there was a large crack in one of the pipes carrying the coolant from around the engine. This is the first time the engine has ever overheated but did get very hot. 

Anyone know whether this is probably terminal to the engine itself. I appreciate it's hard for anyone to judge without inspecting it themselves. It's an ecoboost 1l engine on a 63 plate focus. 

Cheers

Chris

Overheating of the 1.0 ECOboost usually results in a new engine. 

Which of the hoses cracked? If it was the degas hose it is important to know which type of degas hose is installed and if the car was recalled before to have the degas hose changed.

Hello

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I'm pretty sure it was the degas hose and am aware of the recall. However I was never notified of the recall itself having use a Halfords autocentre rather than Ford for my service.

I am fairly sure it's been caused by degas hose. I am not confident, even if this is the case that Ford will replace the engine FOC as it is out of warranty although they definitely should. 

Thanks. 

Sorry, just to clarify it has the original, defective degas hose. I became aware of the recall yesterday when on the phone to Ford 

Why should Ford replace the engine?

Ford has very strict warranty/goodwill regulations. First the car must have been serviced by a Ford dealer and the service schedule must have been followed completely. If the prescribed requirements are not met Ford will reject any warranty/goodwill apllication. By taking the car to a non Ford dealer for services you basically voided the warranty/goodwill requirements. 

Even if there is an active recall the repair should have been performed long ago. This recall was launched in 2014. All known owners of affected vehicles received a letter about the recall. Unfortunately there are also owners that not received the recall letter. For example because of change of ownership (in which case the previous owner receives the letter). In these cases the recall should still have been performed during the next scheduled service at a Ford dealer. If the car was serviced by a non Ford dealer this prevented Ford from performing the recall. 

European law describes that services can also be performed by non dealers without voiding the warranty. However all warranty regulations of the manufacturer must be met. Every car manufacturer has very strict warranty rules. An independent repair facility has to respect these regulations otherwise the warranty will be voided. these regulations and the service schedule of every Ford model can be downloaded for free at the Ford Etis website. Recall information is also available for free at the Ford Etis website.

thats just why its not good using non ford dealer for servicing, any outstanding field service actions would have been picked up and rectified long ago (2014) preventing this exact situation using a ford dealer. thats unfortunatly the choice we all make.

The guy on the phone at my local Ford dealer seemed to think if the issue has been caused by an original defect relating to the recall, then there was a chance the work would be done for free. 

I don't really feel I've done anything wrong. I wasn't notified of the recall and the original defect is Ford's fault as is the subsequent damage. There's literally nothing I could have done differently other than  get my car serviced with Ford but it isn't like one didn't use a reputable company. 

Suppose I need to hope the engine isn't beyond saving and it isn't too costly a job otherwise Im gonna be seriously out of pocket, owing to a manufacturing defect beyond my control.

Does anyone have the exact date the recall was issued? I only bought it in 2014 so may have been before I purchsed in which case Ford have missed it.

I bought my car Octobre 2014 and at that time there was no recall yet. I had the degas hose replaced immediately when I bought the car as a precaution. As far as I am aware the recall was released in about December 2014. This can however be different for different countries.

After overheating of the 1.0 ECOboost there is approximately a 90% chance of serious engine damage. Replacement of the engine at a Ford dealership can cost approximately €5000,-. 

There is nothing wrong with having the car serviced by a non Ford dealer but the service needs to comply to Ford specifications and requirements. If not the Ford warranty/goodwill requirements will be voided. In case of a warranty/goodwill application you will have to prove that the car was serviced in compliance with the Ford requirements. In most cases this is very difficult. Using aftermarket (non approved by Ford) parts for example will void the warranty/goodwill requirements.

In my opinion the garage who serviced the car is responsible for servicing the car based on the specifications prescribed by the manufacturer. In my opinion this also involves a recall. They should have warned you at least about the recall. To perform the manufacturer prescribed services a non Ford dealer needs the service checklist. Both the checklist and recall information are available for free on the Ford Etis website. Every non Ford dealer can print out exactly the same checklist as a Ford dealer.

You should at least try to get a goodwill arrangement. This can however be a long story. It can take several Months before they even make a decision. 

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem with the 1L Ecoboost and I certainly have sympathy since the same thing happened to my 2013 Focus ecoboost a couple of months ago. I have spent £4,354 getting a reconditioned engine and turbocharger fitted.

I am just getting the full details together to email to Ford to see if they'll help. When I first contacted them, they, like many posters on this forum, suggested that no help would be forthcoming because I hadn't taken the car to a Ford garage to get it serviced or fixed. But I persisted and they gave me a reference number with which to pursue my case.

I had no idea about the defective degas hoses that Ford installed in these engines until well after the sudden untimely death of my own engine at 40,000 miles. Ford may adopt the 'bad luck, you should have it had serviced by Ford' attitude but on the other hand may acknowledge some financial responsibility for their design failings. 

Send me you your contact details using 2013.ecoboost.overheatATgmailDOTcom (replacing AT and DOT) so I can update you directly on current and future action I shall be taking.

Of course ford might be really helpful to us both !59636d5041a18_2017-07-0320_34_46.thumb.jpg.95e77b2018e6f6de0d02b3076c9cbf83.jpg

I had exactly the same problem with my 1.0L turbo, luckily it happened as my Mrs pulled up so the the coolant hadn't drained from the tank completely, did you not get the recall notice about two years ago?

Spike, The recall notice would have gone to the original owner of the vehicle in May 2015. I purchased the vehicle from a dealer in June 2015 and had no notification.

Had this been a safety recall then I assume I would have been informed via the DVLA.

Usually the recall comes from the garage not the DVLA. It's a known issue with that pipe so stand your ground and don't pay a penny. I assume you got it from a dealership? It's poor they sold it on not declaring the recall if so, it would have been showing as outstanding on the Ford ETIS system.

Yes, bought from a dealership but purchased before the recall was issued. No service with Ford since purchase and only just over 20k on the clock.

It's in with Ford now. They are replacing the defective pipe and are going to run the engine to see how it goes once it's done. They suggested on the phone that it might be a case of my taking away the car without the engine having being tested and basically seeing how it goes. Doesn't seem like a great option to me but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. 

I think that morally they should be doing whatever needs to be done to make it right. They sold me a car with a defective part, regardless of the cars service history, the problem is the fault of Ford. I'm not confident that they will see it like that but I suppose I'll have to try and argue the case. 

• 3 years later...

Just had the same issue on my 2014 Focus, bought it from Allen Ford Northampton in 2016, only done 40k miles driving about a month ago and the heater went really cold, checked water and non in the tank, topped it up and white plumes of smoke out of exhaust, drove it about half a mile to my local garage where it is serviced regularly, had a phone call later saying that Ford are now offering reconditioned engines at £1200 and with labour etc looking at 3k, phoned Ford UK and they said yes we are still doing the warranty if its found that the engine failed due to the issue, so had it transported to Allen Ford though they couldn't look at it until 1/3/21, had a phone call to say yes it was associated with the warranty and they would be replacing the engine FOC, probably be about another 3 weeks before i get it back though, but to be fair Ford uk have been brilliant from day 1 with their support.