Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCi average MPG?

StevieIRL

So my average MPG is 40-41mpg (I do a good bit of town driving as my job requires me to) but I wondering does this seem right? While on a long journey the AVG MPG will increase but comes down just as fast. 

Is 40mpg okay for town or is it too low?

I have added Redex additive hoping it'll help.

I am currently filling my tank fill and doing the calculating manually, So far I'm averaging 400-460miles a tank (does that seem fair for a 1.6 tdci?)

I've searched this question and tried alot of solutions (except going to Main Dealer)

Thanks in advance

Hi Stephen my 59 plate 1.6 tdci estate 95k averages 57/58 mpg on a combined six mile run into town and urban driving.maybe you have you mileage figures a bit wrong.i get 210 miles out of £20 of diesel that's without waiting for the light to come on.

Hello. Don't believe the onboard display! You're right to calculate it by hand. I get about 50plus around town driving sensibly and up to 60 on a good run but keeping to speed limits. I've blanked off the EGR and use branded diesel. I took the inlet manifold of to replace the injector seals at 100k and couldn't believe the cr** that had accumulated. It was like liquified coke mixed with glue. It doesn't use any oil between 5k oil changes (budget 10/40 as) and still has plenty of beans if needed. These engines receive considerable derogatory feedback but if maintained properly are excellent thermodynamic workhorses let down by careless design issues from our EU cousins.

• Like 1

While ive not got a diesel, petrol 2.0, i did have a c4 that has the same engine you have.. i was gettin high 40s low 50s on a mix of town n long run and high 50s mid 60s on a motorway run. 

As for redex, i personally use millers ecoboost. Used it on my diesel and my current petrol and its way better than redex. 10 tankfuls from a bottle for 13quid and it cleans and helps performance. 

Depending on your engine milage have you thought of having it terracleaned to clear out any build up of carbon deposits. Also, as im sure you know and im not wanting to sound patronising, keeping on top of servicing can help mpg. Fuel filter, air filter, oil etc..

I have a lot of work kit in my car but I average 50mpg according to the computer.  Never measured manually which I probably should do sometime!  I have a good mix of urban/country driving.  40mpg does seem a bit low........

Cheers for the replies, just finished a tank there after 457 miles.
I'm going to give it a service, anyone know what I should I need to service it? Its my first diesel so I'm not sure if any different than petrol. 
What type of oil would you recommend? I've read 5w 30 fully synthetic. 

Also going to give Millers Ecoboost a go, couldn't hurt. 

cheers

• Like 1

That's a bit low. I'm getting 54 MPG in my MK3. Give it a service as mine was 49 MPG before i serviced it so an improvement of 5.

Give it a full service: oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and not forgetting the fuel filter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevieIRL said:

Cheers for the replies, just finished a tank there after 457 miles.
I'm going to give it a service, anyone know what I should I need to service it? Its my first diesel so I'm not sure if any different than petrol. 
What type of oil would you recommend? I've read 5w 30 fully synthetic. 

Also going to give Millers Ecoboost a go, couldn't hurt. 

cheers

I use Triple QX 5w-30 fully synthetic for Ford on my car but I DON'T have a DPF filter and it costs around £20 for 5litres on eBay or eurocarparts/carparts4less .

If you do have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) then you'll need a low SAPS oil which is a bit more expensive (around the £32 mark?).

• Like 1

My 1.6 engine in the c4, same engine as the focus, was a non dpf, and the recommended oil was total quarz 5w30 low saps.. 

The trip computer thinks I'm getting 71 mpg at the moment, in real life I say its around just over 60 mpg.  The last time I worked it out in April it was getting 57 mpg.  The 1.6 tdci needs servicing every 6000-7000 miles.  

4 hours ago, Albert27 said:

I use Triple QX 5w-30 fully synthetic for Ford on my car but I DON'T have a DPF filter and it costs around £20 for 5litres on ebay or eurocarparts/carparts4less .

If you do have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) then you'll need a low SAPS oil which is a bit more expensive (around the £32 mark?).

triple qx is good oil at around £19 from carparts4less with new discount code, as for the LOW SAPS oil i`m sure thats not for ford cars. i use that in my partners nissan £23 eBay item number:391765265005

1 hour ago, andypsp said:

triple qx is good oil at around £19 from carparts4less with new discount code, as for the LOW SAPS oil i`m sure thats not for ford cars. i use that in my partners nissan £23 eBay item number:391765265005

Low saps oil is for any car that has a dpf i thought? Some ford's do, some don't.  Think there's plenty of different ones on the market........

6 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Low saps oil is for any car that has a dpf i thought? Some ford's do, some don't.  Think there's plenty of different ones on the market........

don`t think the low saps oil meets the ford specs though last time i looked

Just an update, I had to do a 300mile journey the other day, so I reset the avg fuel and it was saying I had done an average 61mpg on the 300 mile journey, which I guess is very good (I know its not accurate), although now that I am home and back to work, its dropping again, so I guess its just not great for town driving?

I refilled and instead of the trip computer saying 450-480miles remaining it says 500+ remaining. 

I'm guessing I just have heavy foot around the town. 

Also a note on the SAPS oil, Its hard to find here in Ireland, so will I just be safe using fully synthetic 5w30?

• 4 years later...

Hi just drove from Caerphilly to Swansea 

In 1.6 tdci focus 15 plate 

Went between 60 -72 mph

Trip 1 on way down said 53mpg but for got to reset. 

On way back rest trip 1 said 71 mpg 

On way back trip 2  said 58.9 - 59 mpg 

Which one is right aah 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club