Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking/banging

F0CUE

My car has developed a loud bang/knocking sound under load. Its coming from the driver side rear. For example if I stop at a junction on a slight incline then have to take off quick it happens and if the back wheel has to go over a bump in the road on a hill or when quickly turning round a circle. It's also worse with passengers has anyone experienced this? Sometime also when hammering to get upto speed it will happen too and sounds like someone cutting through the body.

11 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

My car has developed a loud bang/knocking sound under load. Its coming from the driver side rear. For example if I stop at a junction on a slight incline then have to take off quick it happens and if the back wheel has to go over a bump in the road on a hill or when quickly turning round a circle. It's also worse with passengers has anyone experienced this?

If it is definitely from the rear, there are not many possibilities. It could be wear in one of the many suspension joints. But it could be the ABS/Traction Control/ESP cutting in.

If the rolling radius is lower on that tyre than on the others, it will rotate faster. With bumps or maybe acceleration, or more likely, braking, the ABS will try to slow it down by pulsing that brake on. My car makes some noses like that (but from the front) under acceleration on a bumpy bit of road sometimes.

Passengers, especially rear seat, would make this worse. Turning anti-clockwise will also make this drivers side wheels rotate faster.

Low tyre pressure, or significantly more wear, or just a different make, could cause a different rolling radius. A faulty ABS speed sensor could be another possibility. But most faults would be detected with a warning light & error code.

Thanks it's defo from the rear I've had it verified by passengers I do get a noise at the front too sometimes and I'm sure that's the rear engine mount but not as much as this one it's really annoying and scary. 

could it be the exhaust pipe / silencer banging due to loose mounting or something like that?

12 hours ago, isetta said:

could it be the exhaust pipe / silencer banging due to loose mounting or something like that?

Yeh gave it a good shake and couldn't replicate it but I'll get under for a proper look at some point cheers 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club