Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh No :(

Steven Dark

Driving in the snow today, i slid and hit my drivers side front wheel. Damaged the alloy :( but didnt seam like anything else, as i only had 50 yards to drive till i stopped.

On my way home tonight the steering seamed really heavy and the steering wheel does not sit straight any more :( :(

Im so annoyed and upset. Now i guess i have to go to the nice people at ford so they can tell me how much its going to cost to get it repaired...

Sorry to hear this Steve, I hope it doesnt cost too much to repair

Sorry to hear this Steve, I hope it doesnt cost too much to repair

Me too, although these things have a tendency to be quite expensive :blink:

Good lick with it :)

Same thing happened to me the otherday. Turned out to be a bent track rod which cost £66 from ford. Luckyily I got it fitted and tracked for free, but now there is a grinding noise and the steering dosent feel right. Going in to ford on Monday all getting done under warrenty now the damaged parts have been replaced. Got to save money were you can as fords labour charged are simple rediculous

Same thing happened to me the otherday. Turned out to be a bent track rod which cost £66 from ford. Luckyily I got it fitted and tracked for free, but now there is a grinding noise and the steering dosent feel right. Going in to ford on Monday all getting done under warrenty now the damaged parts have been replaced. Got to save money were you can as fords labour charged are simple rediculous

I hope that its only a track rod. Will find out tomorrow hopefully.

I hope that its only a track rod. Will find out tomorrow hopefully.

Guess what.. its not going to be cheap.. I've been quoted just over £1000.

3 new alloys

3 new tyres

Alignment

Labour

Apparently 3 of my alloys are buckled.

They dont think anything else is bent, but they cant confirm that till the other work is done.. I think i will be sourcing some other way to get 3 new alloys and use the old tyres.

3 new alloys

3 new tyres

Alignment

Labour

They dont think anything else is bent, but they cant confirm that till the other work is done.. I think i will be sourcing some other way to get 3 new alloys and use the old tyres.

Sorry to hear this. That is really bad.

I think they might be ripping you off. From what you described in the OP I don't understand how you could have written off three alloy wheels and destroyed three tyres. Get a second opinion from a different dealership imo.

Sorry to hear this. That is really bad.

I think they might be ripping you off. From what you described in the OP I don't understand how you could have written off three alloy wheels and destroyed three tyres. Get a second opinion from a different dealership imo.

I did exactly that, went to a little place called A14 tyres. they said yeah you have 3 buckled alloys.. but 2 are only slightly, probably caused from bad roads. And the other one (the one i hit was bad).. Anyway, cut this short, they put the back wheels on the front, and front on the back. Said i need to get the bad one replaced, and probably two new front tyres because one is damaged (and may as well do both at the same time). They also did the tracking.. Drivers side was 7mm out, passenger 3mm out.

Cost £23 so far, cant go wrong there.. Only problem is, the fact the steering is still quite heavy, like the power steering is broke in some way also the steering wheel doesn't return to the centre after turning.

Any suggestions anyone?

I did exactly that, went to a little place called A14 tyres. they said yeah you have 3 buckled alloys.. but 2 are only slightly, probably caused from bad roads. And the other one (the one i hit was bad).. Anyway, cut this short, they put the back wheels on the front, and front on the back. Said i need to get the bad one replaced, and probably two new front tyres because one is damaged (and may as well do both at the same time). They also did the tracking.. Drivers side was 7mm out, passenger 3mm out.

Cost £23 so far, cant go wrong there.. Only problem is, the fact the steering is still quite heavy, like the power steering is broke in some way also the steering wheel doesn't return to the centre after turning.

Any suggestions anyone?

Tbh imo... I would say take it to Ford and let them do their work, especially as the car is brand new. Maybe consider cracking open the insurance excess if it gets too bad?

Alloy wheels dont seem to be holding up very well to me, which is disappointing.

Booked into ford tomorrow (different dealer) they think it maybe a bent arm, or steering column.

3 new alloys

3 new tyres

Alignment

Labour

Booked into ford tomorrow (different dealer) they think it maybe a bent arm, or steering column.

Just what you need straight after Chrimbo and it's not as if you can put any pattern or second hand parts on either to reduce the cost.

Saying that, is there any chance of you getting a set of wheels and tyres off E-Bay?

blag blag blag, i know its not the most honest thing to do but still, if theres no visible damage, whats to say it didnt just happen? thats what i'm doing when mine goes in on monday with all the other problems it has, and it wont be coming out till its fixed under warranty, hopefully lol

Just what you need straight after Chrimbo and it's not as if you can put any pattern or second hand parts on either to reduce the cost.

Saying that, is there any chance of you getting a set of wheels and tyres off E-Bay?

The wheels im not fussed about.. can get the new alloys for £108 from here

I know someone who will take the tyres off mine now and put them on the new alloys.

But the guy who did the tracking earlier said only one needs to be replaces at the moment, the others are very slightly buckled, most likely caused from bad roads/pot holes.

They put the front wheels on the back, and back on front. So they could do the tracking, which turned out alright now..

Just this possible steering arm or whatever that might be.. but they will charge labour for taking the car to pieces.

Hope everyone has safe journeys

blag blag blag, i know its not the most honest thing to do but still, if theres no visible damage, whats to say it didnt just happen? thats what i'm doing when mine goes in on monday with all the other problems it has, and it wont be coming out till its fixed under warranty, hopefully lol

Don't think they are that daft pal to be honest especially when there's 6" of snow around.

What did you do to yours?

Edit..

Just seen, read up the page lol

smashed it into a curb going about 5mph, bent the track rod and buckled the wheel. Quite shocking really seen asthough my girlfirends 1.0 corsa, which is an awful car had the same thing happen to it at a higher speed and had no danage at all. it also feels alot safer in the snow than my mk7 which to be honest, in the snow the handling is crap!

dosent matter wether there daft or not, they have no proof, just because its been snowing dosent give them an excuse to say ' or you must of crashed it were not fixing it'. if there labour charges wern't so high and their time quotes so rediculous to do simple jobs, e.g 3 hours to change a track rod!. only took the garage i went to half hour.

bit of a rant but to be honest for a new car, so far its been an absolute nightmare, especially the customer service!

smashed it into a curb going about 5mph, bent the track rod and buckled the wheel. Quite shocking really seen asthough my girlfirends 1.0 corsa, which is an awful car had the same thing happen to it at a higher speed and had no danage at all. it also feels alot safer in the snow than my mk7 which to be honest, in the snow the handling is crap!

dosent matter wether there daft or not, they have no proof, just because its been snowing dosent give them an excuse to say ' or you must of crashed it were not fixing it'. if there labour charges wern't so high and their time quotes so rediculous to do simple jobs, e.g 3 hours to change a track rod!. only took the garage i went to half hour.

bit of a rant but to be honest for a new car, so far its been an absolute nightmare, especially the customer service!

I find the handling a little to light in the snow, but all other times its fine.

Yeah i must admit there labour prices are quite expensive and they do take a little longer than needed to do anything.

I dont have any problems with their service team though, well in my dealer. They're all nice and easy to talk to whilst waiting etc. And the lovely lady who always answers the phone and knows who i am as soon as i say "hi, its steven again".. also knows who i am as i walk through the door, and service with a smile from her.

yea its deffernatly light! both the back end and front end seem to have no weight at all, also the crap hankooks wont be helping. But i agree in the dry the handling is great,

i posted a topic on here a while back about all the problems i had had with my dealer, even wrote a letter the the MD to which i got one back saying basically if your not happy, go somewere else! so i'll be getting my own back soon:-) yes......i'm a right stubbord bas***d haha

Just wanted to know, is it not possible to repair the alloys there? Here, I don't know how, but the alloys can be "trimmed" only for once if the alloy is bent. Not so secure but a cheap way until renewal...

Just wanted to know, is it not possible to repair the alloys there? Here, I don't know how, but the alloys can be "trimmed" only for once if the alloy is bent. Not so secure but a cheap way until renewal...

Yeah, probably can, but how long will they stay decent. I think im just going to fork out for the 1 majorly damaged alloy. then do the minor ones later in the year

Well you maybe in for a bit of a shock. Wheels don't buckle and track rods don't bend for no reason, it will take impact for these things to occur and that's one of the reasons we have insurance, that's what covers the damage, not your vehicle warranty. It wouldn't take an atom splitter to work out that all of a sudden we have snow, buckled wheel and track rod end and I doubt they will come to the conclusion that the track rod and wheel have suddenly had a bout of metal fatigue.

I think you'll find your warranty covers you for defects, sliding the car into the kerb isn't a defect.

Had the car at my local dealers today, they said i need a 4 wheel alignment to show exactly what is bent. They think its the Camber arm. But they cant do the alignment until my bad alloy is replaced, which is now ordered and will be here soon i hope. Though the car is booked in for the 25th for its alignment.

Its working out a lot less in money doing it this way.

Ordered 2 alloys - £108 each

2 tyres - Guess around £100 for the pair

Been quoted £70 for the alignment

and asked how much a camber arm was just so i had a head up on it. £89 plus some labour

So thats a bit cheaper than the £1000 they quoted just for 3 alloys/tyres/alignment.

Not talking about Steven's problem but aimed at some people who just randomly say the MK7 is crap in snow, the MK7 is crap in the winter etc, What did some people expect?

It may be a stunning car but after all, it is 'only' a Fiesta

I would say all of us have non-winter tyres

We have had shed loads of snow and ice

Not talking about Steven's problem but aimed at some people who just randomly say the MK7 is crap in snow, the MK7 is crap in the winter etc, What did some people expect?

It may be a stunning car but after all, it is 'only' a Fiesta

I would say all of us have non-winter tyres

We have had shed loads of snow and ice

The problem IS the tyres. The Hankook's on my Mk7 are pretty much summer tyres, on my Saxo which has BFGoodrich tyres on that are designed for all weather conditions handles these sorts of conditions much better. It also has narrower tyres which are better in the snow anyway.

We just aren't set up in this country for weather like this, the only solution is to drive carefully if you have to.