Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Zetec first timer help

AndyMan1981

Hey there all, just joined.

I have had a look to see if anything could help me I found a few similar things but I felt like it would be best to ask direct.

I've just purchased a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, 77k on clock, nice color, I used to have a 1.4 Astra, I've noticed when at lights it feels a bit lumpy, it grinds 1st sometimes, 3rd seems a little rough and grinds reverse, also seems to knock over speed bumps, sounds a bit rough on startup too, the car is under warranty for another month but it's quite a way to go to be fobbed off.

Are any of these things normal or if not does anyone have an idea of what to go there with, I was going to get it checked out before hand but I work shifts and might not have time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy.

Grinds reverse? If you mean when you go into reverse it grinds, you have to stop fully, let the engine 'slow' then slip the car into reverse (or you could double declutch) there is no synchromesh on reverse so that's why it can grind unless you do the above.

Hi Russ, I'm actually parked with handbrake on, no movement at all, it's on and off the grinding, one day it'll do it once and one day its all the time.

It feels laggy when trying to stick to 30mph too, almost like it's holding back, gets a bit jumpy

4 hours ago, AndyMan1981 said:

Hi Russ, I'm actually parked with handbrake on, no movement at all, it's on and off the grinding, one day it'll do it once and one day its all the time.

It feels laggy when trying to stick to 30mph too, almost like it's holding back, gets a bit jumpy

What gear are you in when it feels as if it's holding back?

Both 2nd and 3rd when I'm trying to stay at 30 it's either holding back or kangaroo feeling, have to really work hard with the accelerator to steady it, sorry for late reply it didn't go through first time

I had a problem with my mk1 that I never solved before p/exing it (for about 59p).

Every so often, the speedo would drop to 0 and acceleration and deceleration would become very sudden.  In low gears and a low speeds it would kangaroo when trying to maintain a steady speed.

I assumed it was the throttle sensor but as I say I never got it looked at.

Spark plugs and coil pack all OK? 

I'm new to my car too and mine sounds a bit rattley till it warms up properly it was serviced before i got it but next oil change i'll put a brand in i've used in my scoob which made it run a bit smoother , i also have the knocking on the left side, i'm putting it down to warn lower arm bushes, oh and it doesnt like going into reverse much either so i'd say these arent unique

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

"Every so often, the speedo would drop to 0", my understanding is that speedo suddenly dropping to 0 is a faulty speed sensor which then makes the car not run correctly as the zero speed is also fed to the ecu which controls the fuel suuply etc.

Sorry yes I meant speed sensor not TPS...

I don't think it's the op's problem, but they were similar symptoms so might be helpful in some way..,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club