Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus 1.6 tdci

broadley

The car is very very sluggish.  Feels like no boost. I was told to blank the egr off. No joy still. Changed fuel filter.  Still no joy. I have no fault codes either but the car just won't move. It struggles to pick up speed. Any ideas

1 hour ago, broadley said:

The car is very very sluggish.  Feels like no boost. I was told to blank the egr off. No joy still. Changed fuel filter.  Still no joy. I have no fault codes either

Some diagnostic tools like Torque or Forscan can monitor the Turbo actuator position and the boost pressure (MAP) while driving. They log the data, so you can read it it back later. (No need to look at the phone or computer while driving!)

Forscan can also pick up a wider range of fault codes than most readers. Maybe there is some odd fault that is putting the car into a reduced power mode, not showing up on basic OBD readers. The 1.6TDCI is a bit peculiar like that.

I can give more info on Forscan, and how to monitor boost pressure (& much more) if you want.

13 hours ago, Baz_ford_tech said:

Have you checked the turbo in any way?? E.g. the actuator moving etc??

What's best way of testing actuator

On 13/07/2017 at 11:53 AM, broadley said:

What's best way of testing actuator

Undoubtedly, the best way is to use a diagnostic system to monitor Turbo operation and boost pressure while driving with the engine under load.

The next best way is to remove the turbo, and test it on a bench with a variable power supply, and one or two dvms. That is not an option that will be easy for most people.

Testing the Turbo in situ, with the car stationary, will be very limited. And really needs comparison with another car. It will not move much without a decent load on the engine, and I am not sure how visible the movement is. A completely dead actuator may show up, but partial or intermittent faults would be extremely hard to detect this way.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club