Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clonk under Acceleration

shiwarrior

Hi

Left work today and noticed when i accelerated my car made a clonk noise

Heard it a few times (6 mile journey) seemed to "Klonk" under heavy Acceleration

anyone else had this before i know what it could be ?

Thanks

Where's the noise coming from? Any change of feel of the steering when the noise happens? Any feeling through the pedals? Does it make a change if you accelerate shortly after you've braked or been at a standstill?

hi , thanks for your reply, tbh i'm not entirely sure

It wasn't from a standstill, i was moving

steering felt fine

once the car felt like it didn't want to "go"

nothing through the pedals from what ii remember

Possible drive shaft or cv joint or even better still as this is an easy fix drop links ?( drop links rattle usually over bumps mostly) or other suspension part a bit worn I.e. spring ,ball joint worn rubbers, control arm rubbers get ripped up with age( mine where almost non existent before I changed them. I don't know if its the same on yours but my  Focus ST Mk2 clonks at about 15mph and that is the ABS/ESP self test kicking in.TBH you need to get underneath and have a wiggle or get some one to do it for you if you are unsure how.

thanks Gizza

yeah there is a quite clink where the abs etc kicks in , but its much louder than that, and its not at just low speeds

Have this most of the times I pull away, my car has done it from new (focus mk2 57) Was told it is the abs or esp (can't remember which now) self checking. Get a puzzling look from any new passengers in Ford Focus but after owning the car since 2008 and it doing this on nearly every journey I have never had a problem.

hope this helps 

Hi

no it is NOT the ABS clonk one

been out in the car today, and it seems to happen at any speed AFTER a push the brake pedal then accelerate

any ideas?

I have this too. but sporadically..  Usually during heavy acceleration or breaking and sometimes over large pot holes. Only started doing it last year when I accelerated over a crater. But it is intermittent, so I have no idea what it is. A mate of mine reckons it's a gear box mount or engine mount..... But I have not idea.

TOp engine mount I would reckon, engine rocking under acceleration, if it's bad could happen on more violent over-run?

14 hours ago, Gavin01 said:

I have this too. but sporadically..  Usually during heavy acceleration or breaking and sometimes over large pot holes. Only started doing it last year when I accelerated over a crater. But it is intermittent, so I have no idea what it is. A mate of mine reckons it's a gear box mount or engine mount..... But I have not idea.

I've the same issue, my brother who's a mechanic seems to think the same.

I forgot to mention, when the clonk appears, can definitely feel it through the chassis of the car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club