Do Not Sell My Personal Information

same issue every other mondeo has had-flashing coil light

coolpurplelights

ok so i bought a 2005 mondeo ghia 2.0 tdci 130ps, on the way home the coil light was flashing and there was a lack of power, felt like it was a non turbo'd diesel, it didnt cut out and it would rev out to 4k also (meaning the revs weren't limited), it has none gone off since even after restarting, constant flashing and lack of power, however i have noticed when you first start it it runs fine for about 5 seconds before the light apears. now after doing some research i have changed the fuel filter, full tank of premium bp diesel, cleaned egr and inlet manifold, checked for sticky turbo actuator and checked all fuses and relays. after going through some of the paper work that came with the car it turns out that 5 years ago it had 4 brand new injectors and a brand new fuel pump aswell as some other bits and bobs most of which were service and mot paperworks.

i have now run out of ideas and money (for now) and cant think what else is wrong with it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

i forgot to mention that i had the codes read multiple times over the course of today and every single time there were no codes so leads from that unfortunately 

6 hours ago, coolpurplelights said:

on the way home the coil light was flashing and there was a lack of power,

I guess that was the glowplug lamp. The Mk1 Focus uses that lamp to indicate a wide range of engine related problems. The Mk3 Mondeo is likely to use similar ECUs & engine software.

Not all codes show up on standard OBD2 scanners. Older cars like the Mk1 Focus tend to be less well supported by these standard scanners. The OBD standard only became mandatory for Diesel in about 2004/2005, and every car model was different before then.

So I suggest trying other scanners. Forscan (the adapter costs about £16, the software is free in Windows version) is about the most powerful diy system available, and does work on the Mk1 Focus. If the light is flashing there should be an error code.

You seem to have done a good job of checking the most likely suspects, so without further diagnostic information it will be hard to find the fault.

On the mk3 mondeo the 2 most common problems I've come across with the flashing glow plug light are the egr valve and also (P0251 IIRC) related to fuel metering caused by a partially blocked fuel filter. I can't remember if the latter caused the EML to illuminate also. 

Is your car a euro 3 or 4? euro 4 has the electronic egr valve.

also common was the electronic part of the turbo actuator.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, iantt said:

also common was the electronic part of the turbo actuator.

I've never done one of them yet, heard enough about problems with them though lol. 

I’ve got the euro 4 engine in mine, when I took the eye off it had a about a half inch thick layer Of wet, oily spot around it and this folowed into the manifold, i did clear it all out and push the plunger back and fourth a couple times to make sure it moved but it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference 

Ok so I took the actuator off and had a look inside because I noticed when you start the engine rev it and turn it off the actuator didnt move once so I had a look at the internals and everything looked ok, I very very gently ran my finger tips over them contacts around the edge and the three of them litterally fell off with very little touch

IMG_0627.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coolpurplelights said:

I very very gently ran my finger tips over them contacts around the edge and the three of them litterally fell off with very little touch

As soon as I saw Ian's mention of the turbo actuator, I could recall various comments about the unreliable Mondeo actuator. I have seen a few threads about it. And your symptoms stacked up.

I suspect repairing it would take a good soldering iron, a steady hand, and a magnifying glass. I do quite a bit of miniature electronics work, it is not too difficult, on the other hand it is not dead easy!

This video perhaps shows what I mean! (Go to part 2 for the bit where the actuator falls on the floorlaugh.png)

But there are plenty of companies offering repair services. Or you may be able to find a local tv / electronics repair shop, if you do not have the equipment & experience.

Was there a manufacturing problem with these or what? I've never come across one yet despite hearing about them enough but I know mine has never been touched in 6.5 years of ownership and anyone i know who's had or still owns a mk3 has never had problems with the actuator. I have a pile of receipts that come with my car dating back nearly 10 years and nothing there to say its ever been done either. 

Ok good news, soldered in 3 new wires on them contacts this afternoon put it all back together and just like that it was like there was never anything wrong with it lol, no lights were flashing at me and I nearly fell of the seat when I booted it , didn’t realise how nippy they actually are when everything’s working , cheers to Ian for suggesting the electronic actuator you were bang on mate thank you 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club