Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta flash 3 times on locking

id5d

Hi

Have had my 2015 Fiesta for a month now. 

Today when I lock it by double-pressing the fob, as I always do, The lights flashes 3 times. 

I'm sure it always flashed twice before (Unless I've just been reeeally unobservant - and the manual says twice anyway).

I've done a few searches and can't find out what this means. I've been round the car twice looking for doors not closed properly or controls left on.

Any idea what 3 flashes mean?

Mine only flashes twice.

It normal for them to flash 3 times, that's confirming the 'dead lock' function is working. One press = one flash to indicate doors are locked, Two presses = three flashes to indicate doors locked and dead locks activated. I have a 2016 Fiesta and 2016 Mondeo, they both behave this way. If there is a problem with a door being open then the locks automatically unlock immediately and if you have an alarm then the horn sounds too.

To be sure and to settle your mind you should lock with 2 presses and walk round car checking all the doors are locked then sit in the car and double lock it and check that none of the doors will open using the internal handles - start with front passenger and work around anti-clockwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It normal for them to flash 3 times, that's confirming the 'dead lock' function is working. One press = one flash to indicate doors are locked, Two presses = three flashes to indicate doors locked and dead locks activated. 

That's the way it's behaving now. 1 press = 1 flash. 2 presses = 3 flashes. 

But the manual doesn't mention this at all. It mentions...

Locking the Doors Press the button to lock all the doors. The direction indicators will flash twice.

and it doesn't mention how many times it should flash when pressing the button twice. The manual doesn't mention 3 flashes anywhere.

I was sure it was only flashing twice in the past. So if it's entirely normal behaviour I'm left wondering if  my memory and the manual are wrong, or if it's changed  - then how? I've certainly not tried to update the car and pretty sure it's not gonna update itself (?). 

What month is your car, do you know?

The online manuals, I can't lay my hands on ours right now, all say "the direction indicators will flash" there is no mention of how many times. What does it say if you double lock it?

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

Have a look here, either enter your VIN - which is more accurate, or use the drop down menu.

http://secure.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual/

I'll find my VIN tomorrow.

Pretty sure this is identical to my paper manual. Page 35 mentions locking

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/ENUSA_CG3582_FCN_og_201412.pdf

Looks like I saved the link to the HTML version of my manual before from entering the VIN, and your right, it's different from the paper and the pdf above in that it doesn't mention times it flashes.

So it makes sense that they updated the system and took out the mention of number of flashes from the manual. But can't figure out why today my car would change. 

• Like 1

I thought that the manual had been updated as I found all the other manuals said the same thing bar 1, the HTML one.

It's a strange one and all I can say that perhaps you are mistaken, was there any reason you noticed it today in particular? Do you remember consciously counting it out prior to today or do you remember the wording from the book? Either way I don't think you should be concerned, hopefully another couple of people will be able to share the cars behaviour too.

No offence intended by saying you may have been mistaken, like you I can't see how the car could have been updated/changed behaviour

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I thought that the manual had been updated as I found all the other manuals said the same thing bar 1, the HTML one.

It's a strange one and all I can say that perhaps you are mistaken, was there any reason you noticed it today in particular? Do you remember consciously counting it out prior to today or do you remember the wording from the book? Either way I don't think you should be concerned, hopefully another couple of people will be able to share the cars behaviour too.

No offence intended by saying you may have been mistaken, like you I can't see how the car could have been updated/changed behaviour

You're right it's very strange. I can only say I'm pretty sure it always flashed twice but couldn't swear to it 100%.

One thing I should mention is that the other day I tried my friends new Tom Tom Curfer briefly just to see what it said about my car. Now that should have been entirely read-only, but I'm now wondering if doing anything at all to the OBD port has somehow affected the car. 

That sounds like a good bit of kit, much more sophisticated than the built in analyser on the Fiesta.

Plugging in a 'read only' device should not interfere with the car in any way, as you say, it shouldn't be able to write anything to the car. And if it could, why would it change the number of flashes the car does? Saying that, the brains of the car are very sensitive so plugging in anything is a slight risk. Some people have fitted LED Bulbs into their courtesy lights and it has thrown up an ELM. I have plugged in several ELM327 bluetooth adapters and different apps, I have also got a switched ELM327 and changed all sorts through forscan including installing a reverse cam myself, none of which has done anything unexpected. It's hit and miss.

6 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

That sounds like a good bit of kit, much more sophisticated than the built in analyser on the Fiesta.

Plugging in a 'read only' device should not interfere with the car in any way, as you say, it shouldn't be able to write anything to the car. And if it could, why would it change the number of flashes the car does? Saying that, the brains of the car are very sensitive so plugging in anything is a slight risk. Some people have fitted LED bulbs into their courtesy lights and it has thrown up an ELM. I have plugged in several ELM327 Bluetooth adapters and different apps, I have also got a switched ELM327 and changed all sorts through forscan including installing a reverse cam myself, none of which has done anything unexpected. It's hit and miss.

It's just the timing that's a bit of coincidence. Just thinking off the top of my head that maybe the car had an update pending and something's got it to finally apply it. 

Just clutching at straws maybe. 

Anyway as long as the car's running fine I won't worry about it. :smile:

• Like 1

I think that's the right attitude, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you think there has been a change though it's always worth asking on here and then keeping an eye out for any other new oddities.

Mine only flashes twice,

ok ill confuse it,.....pre-facelift my 2011 titanium...............press once mirrors go in and all doors lockes.....no flash.

press twice.......lights flash twice and double locked.

un-lock car i get 1 flash and side lights pop on for a few seconds.

all doors inside and out all are locked.